Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacksf
    Originally posted by trackdug
    If you guys think Marcus Boyd and JT Schuerman were some of the best recruits over the last couple of years then wow...I'm aghast!

Top recruits over the last couple of years would have been folks like Bryson Nellum, Tavaris Tate, Robert Simmons, Gil Roberts, Calvin Smith, Joey Hughes and the like. Of that short list USC got two of them. Just because you run a 46 doesn't make you a top recruit. When was last time Baylor got a 45-sec guy? Anyone? How about 2002 with JW. So Baylor hasn't recruited a 45-sec guy in 7 years and you tell me the best of the best go to Baylor. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

And no, don't say Gettis because he went to Baylor on a football ride.
    According to T&FN high school lists:

In 2001 Darold Williamson was #2 high schooler. Wariner was #4
    In 2002 Jeremy Wariner was the #2 high schooler
    In 2003 Mark Teter was the #3 high schooler.
    In 2004 David Gettis was the #6 high schooler.
    In 2005 David Gettis was the #1 high schooler. Quentin Summers was #3.
    LaJerald Betters was #4, JT Scheuermann was #7.
    In 2006 JT Scheurman was #3, LaJerald Betters was #5

All these guys were top recruits!
    Dude, I said who did they get in the last TWO years? Last TWO years. I know full well that they had top recruits in years past. But I've heard so many times that Baylor always get the best recruits, which is BS. I simply asked who did they get in the last two years?

And again, GETTIS went to Baylor for football, NOT TRACK.

Comment

• Dude ur just not being honest with urself or anyone else on this board. If Gettis ran 44 you wouldn't be saying the tired football excuse. There have been countless footballers who excelled in track.

Your making it seem like Gettis NEVER gave track a shot. That's just not true. But since your cherrypicking stats and picking a limited amount of years that support your arguement (but you manage to use JW stats from 02) and limiting discussion by giving the narrowest margin to be elite.

Here's a concrete question. Give me just ONE school in the last 10 years who have had better 400 recruits up and down the board. (This aint a rhetorical question either).

Comment

• Baylor doesn't get any more top level recruits than any other top track school.

It's just that the results make it appear that way.
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackDaddy
          Baylor doesn't get any more top level recruits than any other top track school.

But we arent talking about 'top recruits'.............were SPECIFICALLY talking about top 400 meter recruits, which seems to be a conversation you and trackdug wish to avoid, and rightfully so. Because you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

• Originally posted by guruof track
            Originally posted by TrackDaddy

But were arent talking about 'top recruits'.............were talking SPECIFICALLY about top 400 meter recruits, which seems to be a conversation you and trackdug wish to avoid, and rightfully so. Because you you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
            :lol:
            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• TD,

the point is that Baylor gets plenty of the very top 400m recruits. This is the point you disputed, and then you arbitrarily threw out the last 2 years.
              Whatever, you've been proven wrong.
              So stop playing this game. You've been proven wrong.

Comment

• No, YOU have been proven wrong. I said SPECIFICALLY for you to name what top 400m guys Baylor recruited in the last TWO years. The consensus was Marcus Boyd and Robert Griffin Jr. I said Griffin wasn't recruited for track but for football. You guys conceded that. Then I said Boyd wasn't a TOP recruit (someone who was ranked in the top 10 HS 400m athletes). Boyd was ranked 14th that year. I never said anything about years gone by; you people did. Someone here said that Baylor gets the best of the best. Which I called BS. I said prove who that got the last two years. You couldn't provide an adequate answer so you started up with this red herring argument that Baylor has gotten "plenty of top talent" over the years. Well, DUH!!! You're just stating the obvious.

SO NOW, WHO IS WRONG? YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU. Baylor DOESN'T ALWAYS get the best of the best, as clearly demonstrated in my argument.

Boom.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

But we arent talking about 'top recruits'.............were SPECIFICALLY talking about top 400 meter recruits, which seems to be a conversation you and trackdug wish to avoid, and rightfully so. Because you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
                  By the way, I started this whole discussion when I talked about Brady Gehret being a perfect fit for the Baylor program. You do remember that this thread is supposed to be about Merrit, right? So don't go acting like I started off talking about Baylor getting all the top recruits. You're the one that started in with that crap.

I simply posed the question "Name a top recruit that Baylor has gotten in the last two years." I don't call a 14th ranked 400m runner a TOP recruit, even if he's become the Marcus Boyd that we know today. To me a TOP recruit is in the top 10, really the top 5 in the country. And Boyd clearly wasn't in that category. So you were the one who chose to broaden the definition to suit YOUR argument.

I named who I thought were TOP recruits and I think just about anyone with common sense would make that distinction, especially a recruiter for a top school who doles out the scholarship money TO GET the best of the best.

Comment

• So are you saying Marcus isn't on a full ride? Since you brought up money.

You specifically chose the last 2 years for obvious reasons. Because the previous years would not fit your criteria of top 5.

Your making it like Marcus is a bum or something.

How many guys on last years Baylor roster (including lejerald) were top recruits. Let's just drop years and use current rosters.....seems pretty fair, right?

You still have yet to give me a school with better 400 recruits. Your just saying boom, for reasons I don't know.

Comment

• How about LSU and USC.

From 2002 to 2008. LSU got Kelly Willie (#1 in 2002 - He was also #1 in 2001), X-Man (#2 in 2004 - He was #1 in 2003), and Robert Simmons (#4 in 2007). No wonder they own the 4x4 record.

USC got Bryshon Nellum (#1 in 2007 - He was also #2 in 2006) and Joey Hughes (#1 in 2008).

Baylor hasn't gotten a #1 ranked recruit since before 1999, maybe much longer as that's as far back at T&F lists go.

Comment

• Originally posted by trackdug
                        How about LSU and USC.

From 2002 to 2008. LSU got Kelly Willie (#1 in 2002 - He was also #1 in 2001), X-Man (#2 in 2004 - He was #1 in 2003), and Robert Simmons (#4 in 2007). No wonder they own the 4x4 record.

USC got Bryshon Nellum (#1 in 2007 - He was also #2 in 2006) and Joey Hughes (#1 in 2008).

Baylor hasn't gotten a #1 ranked recruit since before 1999, maybe much longer as that's as far back at T&F lists go.
                        Pretty convenient you are listing X-Man as a recruit they got (when he went for football, predominantly), then dismiss recruits that also play football for Baylor. What a joke.

Comment

• Don't forget he mentions Nellums who has barely ran 1 collegiate race.

But I digress, its pretty clear he has some agenda.

Comment

• Yeah, well 4 for 5 ain't bad. Haha.

Comment

Don't forget he mentions Nellums who has barely ran 1 collegiate race.

Was Nellums recruited for track? I DO think so. So therefore it's quite legit. Unlike YOUR argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by trackdug
                                Originally posted by guruof track
                                Don't forget he mentions Nellums who has barely ran 1 collegiate race.

Was Nellums recruited for track? I DO think so. So therefore it's quite legit. Unlike YOUR argument.
                                Except for the fact that he was shot.... that will kind of hurt your chances at becoming a great 400m runner.

Comment

Working...
                                X