Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmm that 1000m race looks quite interesting....!

I believe Wariner will run hard to silence the doubters this week and headed into Berlin. 44.4 or so

Comment

Re: Stockholm start lists are up

Originally posted by gh
      http://www.dngalan.com/main/lang-en/start-list

(no women's 800)
      That parenthetical is very significant. There could be other opportunities for Geena Gall to get her 'A' standard and bump Maggie Vessey off the team, but Stockholm would probably have been the best place for her to do it.

The only other meet I can see between now and the deadline of July 31 is the one in Leverkusen the same night as Stockholm. I've no idea whether that meet has a women's 800 and, if so, whether Gall plans to make one last attempt there. I actually hope she doesn't because at this point, it certainly appears that Vessey would be much more likely to do well in Berlin.

Comment

Re: Stockholm start lists are up

Originally posted by tandfman
        Originally posted by gh
        http://www.dngalan.com/main/lang-en/start-list

(no women's 800)
        That parenthetical is very significant. There could be other opportunities for Geena Gall to get her 'A' standard and bump Maggie Vessey off the team, but Stockholm would probably have been the best place for her to do it.

The only other meet I can see between now and the deadline of July 31 is the one in Leverkusen the same night as Stockholm. I've no idea whether that meet has a women's 800 and, if so, whether Gall plans to make one last attempt there. I actually hope she doesn't because at this point, it certainly appears that Vessey would be much more likely to do well in Berlin.
        I thought she was no longer trying to get the mark?

Comment

As I said, I've no idea.

Comment

The interesting thing about that situation is that Gall chasing the A could only benefit Wright (at the expense of Vessey). At this point that would not necessarily be a good thing for the US team.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
              The interesting thing about that situation is that Gall chasing the A could only benefit Wright (at the expense of Vessey). At this point that would not necessarily be a good thing for the US team.
              That's what I was thinking as well...I'd much rather have Vessey with her talentes than Gall and Wright...who are talented, but maybe a yr or so away from the Vessey type of talent.

Comment

You're right. I had forgotten that. Gall can go anyway, since she has the 'B' and finished second in the Nationals. I was thinking that because she had been racing in some minor European meets that she must have been chasing the standard. But there was no reason for her to chase the standard--she was guaranteed to be on the team under any circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  You're right. I had forgotten that. Gall can go anyway, since she has the 'B' and finished second in the Nationals. I was thinking that because she had been racing in some minor European meets that she must have been chasing the standard. But there was no reason for her to chase the standard--she was guaranteed to be on the team under any circumstances.
                  Agreed as she had a "B" all along, and thus the highest "B" qualifier would be going.

Comment

While in Michigan last week I 'm pretty sure I heard that Gall is running this weekend in a Traverse City mile run on the street as part of the opening weekend of Michael Moore's Film Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by rogueden
                      While in Michigan last week I 'm pretty sure I heard that Gall is running this weekend in a Traverse City mile run on the street as part of the opening weekend of Michael Moore's Film Festival.
                      Cool, but its not an effort to "chase" the standard, but more or less some solid work before Berlin...

Comment

This thread's recent posts about procedural activity re Vessey going to World Champs bring to mind another thread: http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/dis...ic.php?t=36178 started by gh on 1 July 2009 and which included:

IAAF Entry Rules
                        Each Member is entitled to enter two, three or four athletes per event, as follows:
                        - 1, 2, 3 or 4 athletes with "A" standard;
                        - 1 athlete with the "B" and 1, 2 or 3 athletes with the "A" standard;
                        in both cases a maximum of three athletes will be allowed to compete.

Useful and authoritative information on this subject can be seen at:
                        http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/stand...sid=47761.html

USATF procedures re selection to World Championships team are at:
                        http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/IAA...Procedures.asp

Comment

JW drops a low 44...like he did last year

He loves this track

Comment

Kaki has moved from the 800 to the 1000. Is hoping for 1:18-19 pace at 600. Lagat hoping to run a PR (2:16.18 last year in Gateshead; also 2:16.25 in this race in Stockholm just before Osaka 07)

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the results of the SP competitions?
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by jlt
                                Kaki has moved from the 800 to the 1000. Is hoping for 1:18-19 pace at 600. Lagat hoping to run a PR (2:16.18 last year in Gateshead; also 2:16.25 in this race in Stockholm just before Osaka 07)
                                What is your source? He has not been changed on the start list.

Comment

Working...
                                X