• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2
    Also, if you want to play in just about any serious tournament they require membership. Same goes for most every Olympic sport except T&F. We're stupid on the organizational level and our patrons are whiney & cheap.
    You need to be a USATF member to compete at the US nationals.
    Ned,

You attribute the above quote to me, but it actually was MJR's reply to me.

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    Also, if you want to play in just about any serious tournament they require membership. Same goes for most every Olympic sport except T&F. We're stupid on the organizational level and our patrons are whiney & cheap.
    You need to be a USATF member to compete at the US nationals.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    I totally agree that Olympic Sports are different than the NFL, MLB, and NBA - even though the latter two are sports that have an Olympic sideshow. I'd suggest that the sport that comes closest to the model of where track & field should want to be is tennis. The USTA uses the grassroots to fill up the stands at the U.S. Open, and uses the U.S. Open to promote its grassroots. Its membership is about five times the size of the USATF membership the last time I looked.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by James Fields
    Does MLB (Major League Baseball) have jurisdiction over "Little League" ?

Do NFL and NBA supervise the youngsters programs of their respective sports?

Well-informed participants in this T&FN forum may know and share organizational details about sports other than track and field athletics.

MLB and the NBA don't pick the Olympic teams in their sport. In all of those sports, competing at the Olympics is not the highest honor there is.

Doesn't the USOC want the governing bodies picking the Olympic teams to be responsible for all aspects of the sport? I could be wrong about that, but someone name an NGB that picks an Olympic team and is not responsible for development programs as well as a wide range of other things in their sport?

When we compare track to professional sports, in all of those other sports, the Olympics is not THE main event. In track it is.

So while yes, I would love to see a decent professional athletes organization get off the ground that really does something for our pro athletes, I don't think it's possible or desirable at this time to completely split pro athletes from USATF.
    The USOC couldn't care less about anything except Olympic medals in the current Olympiad. But the Amateur Sports Act which is federal law gives the national governing body of each Olympic sport responsibility to develop the sport.

I totally agree that Olympic Sports are different than the NFL, MLB, and NBA - even though the latter two are sports that have an Olympic sideshow. I'd suggest that the sport that comes closest to the model of where track & field should want to be is tennis. The USTA uses the grassroots to fill up the stands at the U.S. Open, and uses the U.S. Open to promote its grassroots. Its membership is about five times the size of the USATF membership the last time I looked.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Amen!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Forget who runs what. What's at stake here is track's credibility as a real sport. The average sports editor wrote the sport off long ago, but if there's any hope of it gaining some traction, it's not going to come by expecting somebody to run filler material on the national 50M trail champion. An award to an Olympian/real national champ just might get a hit here or there. We don't have enough spare credibility lying around that we can blow it on silliness llike this.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Does MLB (Major League Baseball) have jurisdiction over "Little League" ?Do NFL and NBA supervise the youngsters programs of their respective sports? Well-informed participants in this T&FN forum may know and share organizational details about sports other than track and field athletics.
    USATF does not run HS or college track.
    US Soccer does run most of youth soccer - very successfully - but they also have little say over the HS or college game.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

Well-informed participants in this T&FN forum may know and share organizational details about sports other than track and field athletics.

MLB and the NBA don't pick the Olympic teams in their sport. In all of those sports, competing at the Olympics is not the highest honor there is.

Doesn't the USOC want the governing bodies picking the Olympic teams to be responsible for all aspects of the sport? I could be wrong about that, but someone name an NGB that picks an Olympic team and is not responsible for development programs as well as a wide range of other things in their sport?

When we compare track to professional sports, in all of those other sports, the Olympics is not THE main event. In track it is.

So while yes, I would love to see a decent professional athletes organization get off the ground that really does something for our pro athletes, I don't think it's possible or desirable at this time to completely split pro athletes from USATF.

Leave a comment:

• ExCoastRanger
    replied
    Some suggest USATF doesn't serve Masters well enough.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    The difference is the NBA, NFL, MLB don't need master and youth participates to generate income. USATF does.

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Y'all are overthinking this. First of all, this is the USATF AOW award we're talking about, not the Nobel Peace Prize. I doubt any of the Monaco runners lost sleep over not winning the award. Second, they can create whatever awards they wish, so there can be an elite AOW, and a masters AOW, and a youth AOW, etc. Thirdly, USATF does need to be the glue that holds all the American T&F pieces together, because separate fiefdoms just create more anarchy and discord than we've already got with competing factions.

Seriously. I really doubt any of our elite athletes care at all if they win AOW.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    The Athlete of the Week is based on the PREVIOUS week, and an elite athlete almost always wins it when there is an elite achievement worth noting. A non-elite usually gets it as a default choice. I bet Vessey gets the nod when it is handed out again early next week.

As for the comments about USATF, the alternative to an umbrella organization is to go back to the 1960's & 1970's with separate organizations which often end up in conflict with each other. That was no picnic. Let's let the recent changes have a chance to work. And no matter how good the structure of any organization, it is only as good as its people, especially its leadership.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Y'all are overthinking this. First of all, this is the USATF AOW award we're talking about, not the Nobel Peace Prize. I doubt any of the Monaco runners lost sleep over not winning the award. Second, they can create whatever awards they wish, so there can be an elite AOW, and a masters AOW, and a youth AOW, etc. Thirdly, USATF does need to be the glue that holds all the American T&F pieces together, because separate fiefdoms just create more anarchy and discord than we've already got with competing factions.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied
    USATF tries to handle too much. The numbers are too vast and the constituency too large.
    There is a NEED for an elite division just as there is an LDR arm. It is unrealistic to think otherwise and we keep seeing the results of the impossible task. How does one entity that is minimal in number and relies on volunteers to run it deal with the professional and business demands of elite track AND the millions of youth participants at the same time???
    So far we have done the least possible in survival and continually have nonsensical internal wars.
    Does it make sense to see youth athletics threatened by the USOC because they do not like how the board is structured or how the Olympic team is being managed???
    These are not deep thought issues, and repeat themselves every convention.
    The organization needs to be separated into its parts, grassroots, LDR, and elite track. Let USATF be the umbrella organization.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X