Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada versus Britain at the WC

Just off the top of my sweaty, little (it is HOT where I live) head it seems to me that Canada has just about/aboot as strong a team as Britain going to Berlin. keeping in my mind that Britain has three times the population and spends far more on athletics that Canada.

I haven't given this much thought so I am prepared to be shot down. I do think it would make a semi interesting discussion.

Obviously if Brits could stay healthy they would have a much stronger team...

So what say you all? Is Canada's team about the same strength as the motherland?

Other than Priscilla, Gary and Perdita who do you have?

I'm not suggesting that you haven't, I just can't think of any names.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy

We have Dylan Armstong, Ruky Abdulai, Sultana Frizell(HT)....all could have top 8 finishes.

Comment

The Canadians have Dylan Armstrong and a couple of decent hammer throwers but can't think of anyone else.

I still think the British team is much stronger and there have been promising signs after Crystal Palace and Monaco. I hope for 2-3 medals and 15 finalists at worst.
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

According to the points table and placing points of the past couple of major champs, this is how Britain & Canada have fared:

Beijing 2008
          Britain - 6th on the table, 71 points
          Canada - 16th on the table, 23 points

Osaka 2007
          Britain - 6th, 61 points
          Canada - 23rd, 18 points

So, roughly three times the population, and Britain tends to out-perform Canada by three times too It'll probably be the same in Berlin. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
            According to the points table and placing points of the past couple of major champs, this is how Britain & Canada have fared:

Beijing 2008
            Britain - 6th on the table, 71 points
            Canada - 16th on the table, 23 points

Osaka 2007
            Britain - 6th, 61 points
            Canada - 23rd, 18 points

So, roughly three times the population, and Britain tends to out-perform Canada by three times too It'll probably be the same in Berlin. :P
            Hey Jon!

I beliveve you will eat those words come Berlin. :twisted: :P

In fact you should know how things look before you leave Berlin. If Canada is within 2.9 times Britain you have to buy me a WC Tshirt, a beer stein and a box of Bratwursts.
            If is is business as usual I owe nothing!

Comment

actually i was just thinking, what would it be if the top 6 US female LJ went up against the top 6 russians????? since both countries seem to be very deep in this event.

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                actually i was just thinking, what would it be if the top 6 US female LJ went up against the top 6 russians????? since both countries seem to be very deep in this event.

Please keep this to Britain-Canada.

The next thing you know the Jams and the Yanks will be at it here too. :? :roll: :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                  Originally posted by cacique

Please keep this to Britain-Canada.

The next thing you know the Jams and the Yanks will be at it here too. :? :roll: :wink:
                  When did they stop :evil: ?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

jon are you coming to berlin ???
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Two arm-less men playing tetherball, this.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                        Two arm-less men playing tetherball, this.
                        LOL

(But I guess if I were British or Canadian, I wouldn't think it's so funny.)

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                          Originally posted by Flumpy

We have Dylan Armstong, Ruky Abdulai, Sultana Frizell(HT)....all could have top 8 finishes.
                          Dylan certainly. Not so sure about the other two. Frizell has not been ahead of Jennifer Joyce recently.

One of the relay teams might make final. Canada clearly sees an opening there.
                          Men's 4x100, no 'A' standards a couple of 'B's and even some with not even 'B'.

None of the women in the 4x400 has an 'A'

Looking forwards to see what Nate Brannen can do. Always liked him.

All in all, Canada has too many weak events compared to the Brits.

Comment

Depth wise yeah I am sure the Brits have us beat. But when it comes to medals...not so sure.

You are right Per Joyce has been beating Frizell these days-I just think she might do better in Berlin (based on nothing but a gut feeling)

And Ruky is ready for a break through.

Never said Canada was a powerhouse but a few of us are passionate aboot our athletes and the state of the sport here.

Comment

I think Britain will win more medals too. Ennis seems the gold medal favourite and Idowu is becoming more reliable too plus Paula has been named in the British team. Hopefully this means she has declared herself fit and if so, everyone else better watch out. One of the relay quartets will probably muddle their way to a bronze. Plus there's Germaine Mason who returned with a 2.31m season's best in London - the same height he cleared before Beijing.

I know that Felicien and Lopes-Schliep have done well on the circuit and recent champs but it's a hugely competitive event and I think there are going to be such fine margins between qualifying fourth/fifth fastest for the final and not even making it.
                              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Working...
                              X