This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braces on athletes. troubling?

back in the 1980s and 1990s there seemed to a wave of athletes wearing braces and rumors were flying about a connection to HGH.

the number of athletes wearing braces has fallen off. don't see many athletes wearing braces these days in track.

there is now a test for HGH, thank goodness.

maybe a coincidence.

no doubt that some, even in the mid-20's or older, will choose to have corrective braces once they can afford it from earnings in track - to improve image, etc. fine.

Shut up guruoftrack!!!

Comment

What do suspenders have to do with hGH?

Comment

what did the hgh actually do to the athletes, performance wise, and side efffects

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
          What do suspenders have to do with hGH?
          My question, too, KIR! I think they are needed because the hgh makes the person taking it grow so big so fast that his pants are always in danger of just flying off -- thus braces become a necessity...
          :wink:

Comment

Let's not applaud the testing to loudly, you can still get around the test.
            on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon18
              what did the hgh actually do to the athletes, performance wise, and side efffects
              hGH is used as a muscle-building agent and recovery aid. At it's most basic, hGH does exactly what it says it does - promotes cell growth and reproduction.

One easily visible side effect is that it starts things growing again that have stopped - bones, teeth, etc. This is why one would often see athletes with braces, lantern jaws, prominent foreheads, and boxy fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                Originally posted by Gordon18
                hGH is used as a muscle-building agent and recovery aid. At it's most basic, hGH does exactly what it says it does - promotes cell growth and reproduction.

One easily visible side effect is that it starts things growing again that have stopped - bones, teeth, etc. This is why one would often see athletes with braces, lantern jaws, prominent foreheads, and boxy fingers.
                Oh really? Post a study.

BTW the test they have for HGH is about as worthless as the urine EPO test. A little more worthless, actually.

Comment

As far as I know the only HGH test is a blood one, and blood sampling only happens very rarely I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    As far as I know the only HGH test is a blood one, and blood sampling only happens very rarely I believe.
                    This is correct, which is why there are still so few EPO positives among track and field athletes. EPO is untestable via urine after 2-3 days (not to mention it is already unreliable as Lagat and Marion show you) and OOC tests are almost entirely urine only (no blood taken). Most people think because there is a "test" that people are no longer using the substances when the tests basically are near useless and/or have minimal impact.

Comment

Blood test are not rare just selective. OOC test have been blood also for the past 3 seasons in a few countries and the last 2 seasons in the US.

Comment

So this post is saying that Shelly-ann Fraser has a huge forehead, lantern Jaw and overgrown teeth? :lol:

You gotta be kidding me..

Comment

Working...
                        X