Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Canada send B standard athletes?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't Canada send B standard athletes?

I noticed Bryan Barnett and Tyler Christopher aren't on the team going to Berlin. It seems pretty harsh when the national 100 meter champion and a former world championship medalist can't participate in the games. They both have the B standard. Did they think Tyler was touring with his rock band in August? :lol: :roll:

Ruky Abdulai - Long Jump
    Esther Akinsulie - 4x400m
    Dylan Armstrong - Shot Put
    "Bryan Barnett - 4x100m "
    Nathan Brannen - 1500m

etc. I don't doubt he will do 100 or 200 in Berlin. Tyler is another story and all goes together with pulling up at Nationals. etc.

Comment

Brannen has the A standard from 2008.

Comment

That's easy to answer; Canada's whole national identity is centered around "eh?"

(and the Mexicans have si; I guess that leaves the U.S. to claim bee)

8-)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
          Canada doesn't take marks from the previous year into consideration. Malindi Elmore had the A standard last year from 2007 but failed to get the A again in 2008 so she wasn't named to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            That's easy to answer; Canada's whole national identity is centered around "eh?"

8-)
            Not only do Canadians need the "eh" standard, they have to achieve it between April 15th and July 26th, 2009. That is a qualifying period of only 3 months and 11 days....17 % as long as the IAAF qualifying period.
            Apparently we have such an excessive number of great track athletes up here, we need to find ways to keep some of them at home...It's a great plan for future development... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
              Originally posted by gh

8-)
              Not only do Canadians need the "eh" standard, they have to achieve it between April 15th and July 26th, 2009. That is a qualifying period of only 3 months and 11 days....17 % as long as the IAAF qualifying period.
              Apparently we have such an excessive number of great track athletes up here, we need to find ways to keep some of them at home...It's a great plan for future development... :roll:
              It all boil down to money in the end. I look around me and I see a wealthy nation with an economy that is doing better than most these days...but there is no will so there is no way.

If you really want to go to the WC in Canada get yourself in the relay pool. No As or Bs required there. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                It all boil down to money in the end. I look around me and I see a wealthy nation with an economy that is doing better than most these days...but there is no will so there is no way.
                If it's a money issue, why don't they give athletes the option to pay their own way if they want to?

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                  If it's a money issue, why don't they give athletes the option to pay their own way if they want to?
                  There are a lot of people paid by Athletics Canada who sit on the committee
                  that chooses to send fewer athletes. I see an easy solution, if only money is the problem. By the way, we have 19 staff going to Berlin.

Comment

A little story about Canada's stupid policy.

There was this athlete named Charles Allen who did not have the A-standard in 2004. Luckily (or should we say "smart") for him he was "in the relay pool". Since he was already there, he was allowed to run the 110h.

Heats
                    1 4 Xiang Liu CHN 13.27 Q . 0.128
                    2 6 Charles Allen CAN 13.35 Q (PB) 0.149
                    3 7 Robert Kronberg SWE 13.47 Q . 0.179
                    4 5 Igor Peremota RUS 13.54 Q . 0.142
                    5 2 Masato Naito JPN 13.56 q (SB) 0.162
                    6 1 Sergiy Demidyuk UKR 13.80 . 0.163
                    7 3 Tae-kyong Park KOR 13.96 . 0.179

QF
                    1 3 Ladji Doucouré FRA 13.23 Q . 0.198
                    2 4 Charles Allen CAN 13.30 Q (PB) 0.149
                    3 8 Robert Kronberg SWE 13.39 Q (SB) 0.154
                    4 5 Duane Ross USA 13.50 q . 0.155
                    5 1 Yevgeniy Pechonkin RUS 13.53 . 0.151
                    6 7 Joseph-Berlioz Randriamihaja MAD 13.64 . 0.210
                    7 6 Jackson Quiñónez ECU 13.67 . 0.163
                    . 2 Damjan Zlatnar SLO DNS

SF
                    1 7 Maurice Wignall JAM 13.17 Q (NR) 0.162
                    2 4 Xiang Liu CHN 13.18 Q . 0.151
                    3 6 Stanislavs Olijars LAT 13.20 Q (SB) 0.151
                    4 3 Charles Allen CAN 13.23 Q (PB) 0.150
                    5 8 Duane Ross USA 13.30 . 0.157
                    6 5 Yoel Hernández CUB 13.37 . 0.174
                    7 1 Robert Kronberg SWE 13.42 . 0.124
                    8 2 Chris Pinnock JAM 13.57 . 0.196

F
                    1 4 Xiang Liu CHN 12.91 (=WR) 0.139
                    2 6 Terrence Trammell USA 13.18 . 0.154
                    3 7 Anier García CUB 13.20 (SB) 0.169
                    4 5 Maurice Wignall JAM 13.21 . 0.164
                    5 2 Stanislavs Olijars LAT 13.21 . 0.174
                    6 1 Charles Allen CAN 13.48 . 0.139
                    7 8 Mateus Facho Inocêncio BRA 13.49 . 0.169
                    8 3 Ladji Doucouré FRA 13.76 . 0.204

At some point, it's not about development, it's about being malicious. You have to wonder how many potential finalists are being left home, and have been left home since the institution of this policy. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
                      Originally posted by KevinM
                      Canada doesn't take marks from the previous year into consideration. Malindi Elmore had the A standard last year from 2007 but failed to get the A again in 2008 so she wasn't named to the team.
                      Yeah, I realize that. My impression was that the previous poster was saying that Canada was in fact sending "B" standard athletes (as in, "B" standard by IAAF guidelines).

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                        Originally posted by sprintblox
                        There are a lot of people paid by Athletics Canada who sit on the committee
                        that chooses to send fewer athletes. I see an easy solution, if only money is the problem. By the way, we have 19 staff going to Berlin.
                        yeah I guess you are right.
                        All we ever hear is that Sports Canada has cut the budget to sports like track.
                        A staff of 19 is crazy. Not naming names but there are staff on that team who do very little there or here. It is who you know.

Comment

Own the podium needs to reflect on Summer Sports as well as winter to the same $/%. Alex Baumann, as named to the position, is a great chocie to start the vision for 2012.

I think it is great that relay squad people may do single events. Don't criticize that, criticize with good merit the selection of a few other's left off.

Criteria is posted way in advance. An A 4/15 to 06/24 and a top 3 at Nationals with B 06/25 to 07/26 would have qualified..Or an A in that second period alone with a national placing I believe. I really think this is a good named team..

Would have liked to see Charles, Tunks , Steacy, Elmore, but hey.Too much qualitative and quantative talk on this in the CDN system, You can't on a one off just send someone just to send them. The National Coach has the decision to add someone there to an event and so be it. Stop taking the leader out of the person making decisons. Alice in the L.J is a perfect example of someone who has risen up to the standard. She won the Pan Am in S.D. and this will be her back to a major event for Canada!

Best of Luck Team Canada.

Comment

If you don't see the difference between "Own the Podium" in winter sports, with all of 10 or 12 countries competing seriously, or some of the summer sports which are primarily white, and summer sports such as Athletics with the whole World involved, then nothing I can say will change your mind. Let's use Men's Soccer as an example. Soccer is the largest participation sport in Canada, and I know there are many excellent athletes trying to make Team Canada in Soccer, and we are ranked 50th or more in the World. And 50th is probably better than 150 Countries who play serious Soccer (Football to many, of course). So how does that translate to Own the Podium? Obviously it doesn't, and that is where we are at the current level of understanding and funding sport in Canada.

Comment

No rasb, Canada can compete with the World in Summer sports. It takes years, maybe a decade now to mentor a program and progress. I understand your point, but I do not agree. Look at the water polo team in the final today at world., most previous gold medal members from jrs. We need a system and just not when countries are hosting an Olympics etc.

Sports Institutions and funding are imperative for a healthy society. We need to kick things in to over gear in Canada and get back to the hussle and every kid in Physed. I think it is a great idea that some provinces are funding tax credits for families putting kids in sports. Awesome!

Back to track, again, Canada can compete in all summer sports In'l, and clean that is! It makes me sad that you use the "white thing". for the winter team. This nation has been built against coments like that.

Many sports summer. It don't matter colour or race.

Go team Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X