Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guru
    I didn't think they even made single beds any more. Doubles are the smallest I come across in the hotels we use(though still a tight squeeze for two kids!)
    Maybe it is just me, but every athlete should have their own bed, unless they choose to share . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      I didn't think they even made single beds any more. Doubles are the smallest I come across in the hotels we use(though still a tight squeeze for two kids!)
      Maybe it is just me, but every athlete should have their own bed, unless they choose to share . . .
      At that level of meet I absolutely agree.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
        World Junior Record for Wayne Davis, if these wind readings are accurate.
        And, he's got another year left to improve on it!

Event 112 Men 110 Meter Hurdles
        ================================================== ===================
        World: W 12.87 6/12/2008 Dayron Robles, CUB
        World Jr: J 13.12 7/2/2002 Liu Xiang, CHN
        Pan Am Champ: P 13.46 7/30/2005 D. Robles/ J. Dutch, CUB/ USA, Win
        2009 Best: * 13.27 Jhoanis Portilla, CUB, Havana, CUB
        Name Year Team Finals Wind
        ================================================== ===================
        Finals
        1 Davis, Wayne 91 USA 13.08J 2.0
        2 Nunley, Booker 90 USA 13.32P 2.0
        3 Brathwaite, Shane 90 Barbados 13.41P 2.0
        4 Carter, Deuce 90 Jamaica 13.71 2.0
        5 Palma Bernabe, Renan 90 EL Salvador 13.79 2.0
        6 Leveille, Simon 90 Canada 13.96 2.0
        7 MACEDO, Valmir 90 Brazil 14.05 2.0
        8 Swift, Greggmar 91 Barbados 14.31 2.0

edit- just saw on another thread that the wind was 2.2 (or was it?)
        I heard from sources that were there that the wind was indeed 2.2, then they said the wind indicator was broken and now we have a legal wind; may explain the 2 hour delay that it took to post times. Either way fast time for 39' hurdle height. I wonder if it will convert to the 42"????

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Originally posted by mojo
          Not sure if the US team is facing the same problem but the hotel didn't give the Canadian team enough rooms. There are three and four to a room with only two single beds. The kids are rotating bed to floor depending on when they compete. :?
          That shouldn't ever happen to any athletes from anywhere.

Well I guess I should say I don't know for sure if they are single beds but the way the coach and our athlete describe the situation- four kids with two beds and they are taking turns sleeping on them leads me to believe they are singles. Athlete says they are"tiny" but she could be exaggerating (she has a tendency to that-she is an 18 year old ). Anyway they are coping.
          Frankly I think a little "hardship" or a hard floor :lol: :lol: doesn't hurt North American kids one bit.
          These kids are so fortunate. Trust me I don't want anything really bad to happen but a little discomfort won't kill them.

The main issue is that Canadian parents forked out $2,000.00 for this trip and I imagine a few will be very unhappy.

Comment

The main issue is that Canadian parents forked out $2,000.00 for this trip and I imagine a few will be very unhappy.

No kidding? Then yeah, that's outrageous. They would have been better off to have made their own flight and hotel reservations. Still wouldn't have gotten to $2000.

Comment

No kidding? Then yeah, that's outrageous. They would have been better off to have made their own flight and hotel reservations. Still wouldn't have gotten to $2000.
              I don't know. I checked flights etc. and it wasn't cheap. The price does include food...oh and a uniform. :wink: :roll:

The whole situation with self funded teams up here is a complete travesty.
              The team was announced on the day that payment was due! So athlete and parents get an email saying they are on the team and they MUST pay for the trip that day-so credit cards are whipped out.
              Most kids know they will probably be on the team but there must be a few surprises too. They had less than two hours to confirm and pay.
              Anyway back to results.......

Comment

I don't know. I checked flights etc. and it wasn't cheap. The price does include food...oh and a uniform. :wink: :roll:

Via expedia - $1715.55 for round trip flight from Toronto to Port Of Spain, and 4 nights single occupancy at the Crown Plaza Trinidad

I hope they're eating at 5 start restaurants, and running in silk :wink:

Comment

are we mixing CDN and USA dollars here?

Comment

Many of the kids had to fly to Toronto first. That adds on about 600.00 round trip from the west coast.

I don't think the amount is outrageous-except it shouldn't come out of the athlete's pocket (or their club or their parents).

Okay 100.00 bucks from your summer job for trinkets.

And another 50.00 to bring a gift home for your coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      are we mixing CDN and USA dollars here?
                      They are almost the same again. Could be soon.

Comment

Many of the kids had to fly to Toronto first. That adds on about 600.00 round trip from the west coast.

Again, keep in mind my quote is for SINGLE occupancy at one of the top hotels in the world. They're apparently quadruple occupancy, in what sounds like just a tad below Crown Plaza. Outrageous that parents are picking up the tab, and then some, for a national team event.

Comment

Again, keep in mind my quote is for SINGLE occupancy at one of the top hotels in the world. They're apparently quadruple occupancy, in what sounds like just a tad below Crown Plaza. Outrageous that parents are picking up the tab, and then some, for a national team event.
                          It is outrageous. Canada is a highly taxed nation. Where are all their tax dollars going if not to pay for kids who've achieved near world-class status and are representing the country?
                          I would also imagine that a lot of the kids on the track team may be less fortunate than, say, kids from the tennis or golf team. Which begs the question: How many qualified kids were not able to go because of a lack of money?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            "Her father said she "won easily" at 4 minutes 26.2 seconds in 100 degree heat and 99 percent humidity."

This comment is indicates a complete lack of understanding of humidity and temperature and dew point.
                            Mr. "26mi235", did Ms. Hasay's father's comment rob you and break the bank on the accomplishment achieved? I seem to recall that Ms. Hasay, as little as two years ago, was *not* a good hot weather competitor. She's now won a meaningful title in the heat. Your comment indicates a complete lack of understanding for the need of not being pedantic.
                            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Air Canada! please send our athletes on non funded teams! Wow, what a great PR move! Atleast across the country as I am sure there is a seat for them!

You put Donavan on a plane( painting), surely you can invest in the future and athletes that may come back to give you great sponsor ops! Let's all write CEO, maybe Westjet then!

R

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                                World Junior Record for Wayne Davis, if these wind readings are accurate.
                                And, he's got another year left to improve on it!
                                1 Davis, Wayne 91 USA 13.08J 2.0
                                Either way fast time for 39' hurdle height. I wonder if it will convert to the 42"????
                                Xiang's 13.12 is still the superior performance by far. USATF's info in their news release is misleading because they say that Davis broke Xiang's record. In fact, the previous WJR over the 99cm hurdles was Artur Noga's 13.23.

Comment

Working...
                                X