Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Yep...it would be sacrilege, not only that ,exactly who is this person that you speak of?
    There's no one specific I have in mind. Just some random guy - one those who have been running 44.7s and 44.8s this year - could peak well and run, say 44.3, while LM and JW both run out of steam after going for a sub-44 and end up in the high 44s.

Unlikely? Sure, but not totally unthinkable like it was last year.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
      Originally posted by Speedfirst
      Yep...it would be sacrilege, not only that ,exactly who is this person that you speak of?
      There's no one specific I have in mind. Just some random guy - one those who have been running 44.7s and 44.8s this year - could peak well and run, say 44.3, while LM and JW both run out of steam after going for a sub-44 and end up in the high 44s.

Unlikely? Sure, but not totally unthinkable like it was last year.

I don't see that scenario playing itself out, also I forsee a sub 44 from both LM & JW in Berlin.

Mr. random guy better be ready to run fast. :wink:
      on the road

Comment

JW is just flying under the radar. DM has had all of the big victories but really they both are doing the same thing right now. DM is not cruising all parts of his race, there is really no big strategical difference between the two right now, the only thing is Merritt's more races. I am now officially discounting JW's 20.8 because it just makes no sense given this race and his 20.27 earlier in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
          JW is just flying under the radar. DM has had all of the big victories but really they both are doing the same thing right now. DM is not cruising all parts of his race, there is really no big strategical difference between the two right now, the only thing is Merritt's more races. I am now officially discounting JW's 20.8 because it just makes no sense given this race and his 20.27 earlier in the year.
          DM?

As much as I would love the return of Derek Mills, I believe he is coaching at Tulane and is otherwise occupied with his duties there.

(Thank you, Wikipedia.)

Comment

Those 200s for JW at Nationals were to get some races in after rolling his ankle a couple weeks prior. I didn't hear about the ankle injury until a few weeks ago, but put in context it all makes sense now why he was so low-key during Nationals and his first few races in Europe.

What I liked today was that his breathing and composure were SO much better than in that first 400m after Nationals. He looked like his old self again. Plus his strength over the final 100 where he pulled away from the field.

Looking at the race again confirmed to me that he's back on track. Another 3 weeks (barring further injury) and he should be right as rain. I look forward the WCs!!

Comment

Originally posted by nbonaddio

DM?

As much as I would love the return of Derek Mills, I believe he is coaching at Tulane and is otherwise occupied with his duties there.

(Thank you, Wikipedia.)
              Drug Money.

Comment

Originally posted by trackdug
                Those 200s for JW at Nationals were to get some races in after rolling his ankle a couple weeks prior. I didn't hear about the ankle injury until a few weeks ago, but put in context it all makes sense now why he was so low-key during Nationals and his first few races in Europe.
                Do you know if he missed much training because of it?

I don't mind slight injuries as long as they can keep doing training and leave the speed work for closer to the comp.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
                  I've been preaching this for some time now.

It's cat and mouse.
                  Everybody's been predicting a runaway victory for Merritt.

Well...

The whole 200m at USATF wasn't something that one should read too much into.

And even the euro events which are all a part of the transition.

My prediction has been and still is that JDub will be ready to run.

And the result will be very close.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

why would JW wait until the WCs to see what time he can run? That doesn't make any sense to me. He certainly never used that strategy before.
                    Athletes need to get out and compete and test themselves. To train and train and train, and not get on the track and push oneself and get some measure of how the training is paying off, seems counter-intuitive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                      why would JW wait until the WCs to see what time he can run? That doesn't make any sense to me. He certainly never used that strategy before.
                      Athletes need to get out and compete and test themselves. To train and train and train, and not get on the track and push oneself and get some measure of how the training is paying off, seems counter-intuitive to me.
                      That's what I say, too. Last year, both LM and JW were regularly running around 44 flat. This year, their fastest times of the season so far are around the same level as their slowest last year. I don't know why everyone seems to be sure they will magically drop their times by a second in two weeks' time. They've never done it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                        That's what I say, too. Last year, both LM and JW were regularly running around 44 flat. This year, their fastest times of the season so far are around the same level as their slowest last year. I don't know why everyone seems to be sure they will magically drop their times by a second in two weeks' time. They've never done it before.
                        I don't think anyone is saying for sure about what the times will be, but I assure you with both LM & JW, the times will be faster than what we've seen so far this year. Really i won't be the least bit surprised of a mid 43 by either one.
                        on the road

Comment

I don't know why everyone seems to be sure they will magically drop their times by a second in two weeks' time. They've never done it before.
                          The Polish guy never threw 85m before today.
                          Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                            The Polish guy never threw 85m before today.
                            So you're saying it could have been expected he would do it?

My point is not that they cannot run faster. I'm just surprised everyone is talking as if it's a sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
                              Originally posted by guruof track
                              For 2nd place, but I dont see Wariner running with Lashawn. Write it down.
                              Neither of them has looked remotely close to 2008 form so far this year. I'd pick Merritt for gold right now, but without all that much confidence.

Would it be sacrilege to suggest somebody else just might step up and beat them both this time?
                              Yes it would be sacrilege to say that. If he is running a 44.8 as easily as everyone says it is.. Then either him or LM will win. No one else in the world is going to run a sub 44.60 at worlds. Write that down :lol:
                              Kirani James will. Write that down.

One love.

Comment

Kirani James just barely beat Tarvis Tate yesterday. And I'm not taking anything away from James because he is REALLY good for a Jr, but expecting him to shave over .5 off his PR is a bit much.

Comment

Working...
                                X