Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksf
    replied
    why would JW wait until the WCs to see what time he can run? That doesn't make any sense to me. He certainly never used that strategy before.
    Athletes need to get out and compete and test themselves. To train and train and train, and not get on the track and push oneself and get some measure of how the training is paying off, seems counter-intuitive to me.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by bman
    JW is just flying under the radar. DM has had all of the big victories but really they both are doing the same thing right now. DM is not cruising all parts of his race, there is really no big strategical difference between the two right now, the only thing is Merritt's more races. I am now officially discounting JW's 20.8 because it just makes no sense given this race and his 20.27 earlier in the year.
    I've been preaching this for some time now.

It's cat and mouse.
    Everybody's been predicting a runaway victory for Merritt.

Well...

The whole 200m at USATF wasn't something that one should read too much into.

And even the euro events which are all a part of the transition.

My prediction has been and still is that JDub will be ready to run.

And the result will be very close.

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Originally posted by trackdug
    Those 200s for JW at Nationals were to get some races in after rolling his ankle a couple weeks prior. I didn't hear about the ankle injury until a few weeks ago, but put in context it all makes sense now why he was so low-key during Nationals and his first few races in Europe.
    Do you know if he missed much training because of it?

I don't mind slight injuries as long as they can keep doing training and leave the speed work for closer to the comp.

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied
    Originally posted by nbonaddio

DM?

As much as I would love the return of Derek Mills, I believe he is coaching at Tulane and is otherwise occupied with his duties there.

(Thank you, Wikipedia.)
    Drug Money.

Leave a comment:

• trackdug
    replied
    Those 200s for JW at Nationals were to get some races in after rolling his ankle a couple weeks prior. I didn't hear about the ankle injury until a few weeks ago, but put in context it all makes sense now why he was so low-key during Nationals and his first few races in Europe.

What I liked today was that his breathing and composure were SO much better than in that first 400m after Nationals. He looked like his old self again. Plus his strength over the final 100 where he pulled away from the field.

Looking at the race again confirmed to me that he's back on track. Another 3 weeks (barring further injury) and he should be right as rain. I look forward the WCs!!

Leave a comment:

• nbonaddio
    replied
    Originally posted by bman
    JW is just flying under the radar. DM has had all of the big victories but really they both are doing the same thing right now. DM is not cruising all parts of his race, there is really no big strategical difference between the two right now, the only thing is Merritt's more races. I am now officially discounting JW's 20.8 because it just makes no sense given this race and his 20.27 earlier in the year.
    DM?

As much as I would love the return of Derek Mills, I believe he is coaching at Tulane and is otherwise occupied with his duties there.

(Thank you, Wikipedia.)

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Yep...it would be sacrilege, not only that ,exactly who is this person that you speak of?
    There's no one specific I have in mind. Just some random guy - one those who have been running 44.7s and 44.8s this year - could peak well and run, say 44.3, while LM and JW both run out of steam after going for a sub-44 and end up in the high 44s.

Unlikely? Sure, but not totally unthinkable like it was last year.

I don't see that scenario playing itself out, also I forsee a sub 44 from both LM & JW in Berlin.

Mr. random guy better be ready to run fast. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Yep...it would be sacrilege, not only that ,exactly who is this person that you speak of?
    There's no one specific I have in mind. Just some random guy - one those who have been running 44.7s and 44.8s this year - could peak well and run, say 44.3, while LM and JW both run out of steam after going for a sub-44 and end up in the high 44s.

Unlikely? Sure, but not totally unthinkable like it was last year.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    For 2nd place, but I dont see Wariner running with Lashawn. Write it down.
    Neither of them has looked remotely close to 2008 form so far this year. I'd pick Merritt for gold right now, but without all that much confidence.

Would it be sacrilege to suggest somebody else just might step up and beat them both this time?

Leave a comment:

• trackdug
    replied
    Sitting back isnt a tactic that works in the mens 400. It sounds good, but when you look at Merritt, he has been cruising ALL parts of his race. His hardest run was the US Champs and he eases off the gas with 150 to go.

Sitting back against Merritt is a recipe for disaster.
    That's utter crap. Look at his last race in Monaco. He ran hard down the homestretch and THROUGH the tape. He didn't let off one bit. He's doing the same thing as JW: running a conservative first 200 then barreling through the curve and finishing strong. If he's cruising ALL parts of his race then JW must be doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    Sitting back isnt a tactic that works in the mens 400. It sounds good, but when you look at Merritt, he has been cruising ALL parts of his race. His hardest run was the US Champs and he eases off the gas with 150 to go.

Sitting back against Merritt is a recipe for disaster.

Leave a comment:

• OBUTRACKSTER
    replied
    For 2nd place, but I dont see Wariner running with Lashawn. Write it down.
    Neither of them has looked remotely close to 2008 form so far this year. I'd pick Merritt for gold right now, but without all that much confidence.

Would it be sacrilege to suggest somebody else just might step up and beat them both this time?
    Yes it would be sacrilege to say that. If he is running a 44.8 as easily as everyone says it is.. Then either him or LM will win. No one else in the world is going to run a sub 44.60 at worlds. Write that down :lol:

Leave a comment:

• trackdug
    replied
    You tell'm TD!! :wink:

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    I said it earlier and now I know I'm right...he's tweaking his race trying out some of the strategy that Sanya is using.
    It appears to me that Richards is actually using the strategy that worked so well for Wariner in the past.

Wariner's race plan was perfect up until last year. Now it seems he's simply not strong enough to execute it...
    Since returning to Hart, JW is sitting back more than he ever has.

On top of that he didnt work coming home like he will in Berlin.

Yall better wake up...this will go down to the wire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X