Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stockholm Women's Long Jump

Exciting finish there. (I can't get the official site to cough up the results)

Was Gomes injured?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Gomes was not on the start list.
    Yes, it was definitely an exciting finish. You rarely get so many lead changes in a LJ competition. The top women only had one big jump each, and all of those came only in the last couple of rounds.
    Oh, and Darya Klishina is amazingly beatiful, as well as being a huge talent (18 years old, jumped 6.80 in winning the Euro junior title recently).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Re: Stockholm Women's Long Jump

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
      I can't get the official site to cough up the results
      Same here. It's just blank when I click the result menu option.

Comment

The order was 1 Sokolova 6.84, 2 Balta 6.82, 3 Reese 6.81

Comment

Balta is a beautiful woman also.

Reese looks to be in the process of cleaning up her crappy landing. Hopefully that will be worked out by WC time.

Comment

Gomes won in London with 6.99 and the next day won the portuguese .
            championship with only one jump 6.38(+4.2)
            In the same champioship Evora 17.82 (+4.1)

Comment

Interesting to watch the hopeless landing techniques of Reese and Jimoh compared to the European jumpers.

Can it be so hard to get the feet ahead of the head at touchdown?

Comment

If they can be no. 1 and 3 in the world this year without knowing how to land, they probably think it's not worth the effort :P

Comment

Gomes has a knee problem which seems not to be very important but ... also Rui Silva is complaining about some pain. Not very good news for T&F portuguese.

Comment

the commentator on tv (jill montgomery? who's taht?) kept referencing that jimoh and maybe another jumper kept looking at the board right before take-off, and that was bad form. is it difficult to change that in a jumper? would it take a sports psychologist to work with that?

Comment

Rank Bib Name Nat Result 1 2 3 4 5 6
                      1 138 Yelena RUS 6.84 6.53 6.54 6.65 6.56 6.64 6.84
                      Sokolova 1.3 2.3 2.0 -0.3 1.6 3.0
                      2 132 Ksenija EST 6.82 PB 6.53 X 6.66 6.66 6.82 6.69
                      Balta 0.7 1.2 1.2 0.4 2.2 0.8
                      3 136 Brittney USA 6.81 4.99 X 6.44 X 6.36 6.81
                      Reese 1.4 -0.3 0.8 2.6 0.9 1.6
                      4 133 Funmi USA 6.74 6.65 6.47 6.47 6.74 6.56 6.66
                      Jimoh 1.1 0.4 2.4 1.0 1.9 0.9
                      5 135 Olga RUS 6.65 6.65 6.64 6.64 6.46 6.56 6.53
                      Kucherenko 3.2 2.0 3.5 0.6 2.2 1.3
                      6 134 Jovanee JAM 6.59 6.59 6.54 6.43 X X X
                      Jarrett 2.7 0.6 1.6 1.4 -0.2 1.2
                      7 128 Tatyana RUS 6.54 6.54 - - - - -
                      Lebedeva 2.4
                      8 140 Darya RUS 6.50 6.24 X 6.35 6.43 6.37 6.50
                      Klishina 1.3 1.0 0.7 1.7 2.5 1.2
                      9 130 Olga RUS 6.34 6.16 6.26 6.34
                      Balayeva -0.2 1.3 0.6
                      10 129 Viktoria UKR 6.30 6.25 6.30 X
                      Molchanova 1.8 2.6 1.0
                      11 139 Brianna USA 6.28 X 6.28 X
                      Glenn 1.5 0.7 0.9

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                        the commentator on tv (jill montgomery? who's taht?) kept referencing that jimoh and maybe another jumper kept looking at the board right before take-off, and that was bad form. is it difficult to change that in a jumper? would it take a sports psychologist to work with that?
                        The late Dr. Hay had some interesting thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuiTai
                          Originally posted by cacique
                          The late Dr. Hay had some interesting thoughts on this.
                          I would be interested in Dr. Hay's thoughts. I have heard forever that looking down is bad, although I can't remember why someone thought so.
                          This thread prompted me to think about my broad/long jump history. I conservatively estimate that in 50 years of competition from age 14 to 64, I took 2400 competitive jumps and probably twice that number in practice, say 7200 total.
                          In forty years as a horizontal jump official, from age group to Olympics, I estimate I have witnessed, live in person, 180,000-200,000 jumps, including some 28 and 29 footers.
                          I have to confess, I don't know if it makes a damn. The key to jumping long distances horizontally is elevating at the optimum angel at maximum controllable speed and maximum extension on landing.
                          One can rapsodize about keeping your head up, dropping down on the penultimate step, not over-rotating and other gobbledegook but, simply put, most jumpers do not jump high enough and drop their feet too soon.
                          Just my humble opinion.
                          Triple jump is another matter.

Comment

Tough competition for Brianna Glenn. I have rarely seen her jump to remember why she would be so incosistent. I thought her technique was pretty solid and was genuinely expecting her to build up to a 7m jump by Berlin.

Glenn has been 11'10,, 22'9 and 6'70 (and double NCAA champ LJ and 200 in 2001)....the past two years have been concentrated on LJ and with her speed, one would assume 7m would come when she concentrated on one event. I'm disappointed but still giving her Berlin to redeem herself.

Comment

the reason she said looking down is bad is because you drop your head and it changes your center of gravity, or it drags your forward momentum? i'm just paraphrasing from memory, i'd have to check the tape to see what she said exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X