Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&F News Investigative Journalism

What are the chances that we could get some investigative journalism from T&F News to uncover the names of the 34 Track & Field Athletes that "tested" positive prior to the 1984 Olympics?

I would love to see the names, much like Major League Baseball, and their 104+/- name list from 2003.

Thoughts?

We could beat that dead horse AGAIN. Contact Wade Exum, he knows the names but probably signed a confidenitality agreement as part of his settlement w/ the USOC.

Comment

Re: T&F News Investigative Journalism

Originally posted by Coach Rod
      What are the chances that we could get some investigative journalism from T&F News to uncover the names of the 34 Track & Field Athletes that "tested" positive prior to the 1984 Olympics?
      I would love to see the names, much like Major League Baseball, and their 104+/- name list from 2003.
      Thoughts?
      I'd like to see the names too, but I'd guess the chances are slim to none.

I was in Southern California in 1983 and was told by someone I'd known for eight years, and who spent a great deal of time training here, how some American athletes were preparing for the Los Angeles Games. I believed him then and I believe him now:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/usoc ... itive-drug

Comment

I think everyone around here would like to see those names. It would be good for the sport to clean out all the old dirty laundry once and for all. As it stands today, I do not believe a single WR that was set in the 80s was clean. Probably most of you have that suspicion as well. That is really sad for the occasional athlete who may have been setting a clean record! What are people trying to protect by not coming clean on this? Certainly not the reputation of the sport!! Knowing and not speaking is making you an accomplice. So add my voice to the call for some investigative journalism here. The truth shall set you free!!

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
          We could beat that dead horse AGAIN.
          Ignoring a problem is no way to address it. Whether or not you beat it, the carcass is still there, rotting and infecting the water supply.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
            Originally posted by MJR
            Ignoring a problem is no way to address it. Whether or not you beat it, the carcass is still there, rotting and infecting the water supply.
            In 25 years that horse has gone to dust and blown away. Nothing is to be gained now. Cheating in 1984 was everywhere and almost all were getting away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
              http://www.ocregister.com/articles/usoc-testing-athletes-2515888-positive-drug
              Who were the dozen athletes who left the Pan Am games mentioned in this article?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by K.I.R.
                Originally posted by MJR
                In 25 years that horse has gone to dust and blown away. Nothing is to be gained now. Cheating in 1984 was everywhere and almost all were getting away with it.
                How bout the cheating in 2009 and since 1984?
                on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                  How does a pre-1984 case help us 2009? Everything has changed since then.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                    Originally posted by marknhj
                    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/usoc-testing-athletes-2515888-positive-drug
                    Who were the dozen athletes who left the Pan Am games mentioned in this article?
                    Ian Pyka(shot put), Duncan Atwood(Javelin), Mike Tully(pole vault, later to return and win), Brady Crain(Sprints), Dave McKenzie, the U.S. record holder in the hammer throw, triple-jumper Mike Marlow, shotputter Jesse Stuart, discus throwers Paul Bishop and Greg McSeveney, hammer thrower John McArdle, long-jumper Randy Williams, and hurdler Mark Patrick.

Terrific SI article on the whole Pan Am mess.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

Everything has changed since then.
                      Athletes have stopped cheating and getting away with it??

Comment

Nearly all the cheats got away with it, Marlow, but what about those who were clean and denied Olympic medals? You have no sympathy for them? What about holding those in positions of authority accountable for their cover-up? Don't you think it will make it less likely that those in charge of USATF in the future will think twice about going in what has always been that organizations natural direction? Cover up, hide, destroy test results and even reward some drug takers?

There is a great deal to be gained by outing those Americans who were cheating back in the 1980's. I realise that you don't want to face up to the fact that some of your hero's and heroine's were frauds, but just sticking your fingers in your ears, shutting your eyes, and chanting LALALALA, is simple denial.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Everything has changed since then.
                          Athletes have stopped cheating and getting away with it??
                          Those of us who were coaching clean athletes at the Olympics and Worlds in the 1980's, including L.A. in 1984, would certainly be interested in knowing those names.

Comment

Similar to the idea of storing blood/urine to retest it when new methods are developed, releasing the names of those who cheated in the past will send a message to current and future cheaters that there is no statute of limitations on revealing those who competed unethically.
                            It would be helpful as well to remove any records from the books that may have been set with 'assistance.'

Why is Mossad still chasing down those who participated in the Holocaust? Surely that horse has 'gone to dust and blown away' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                              How does a pre-1984 case help us 2009? Everything has changed since then.
                              That's not my position.... stated that....to state this

the more things change...the more things stay the same....

there was cheating then and there's cheating now.

I agree with you....that's ancient history, no sense in drudging that up.
                              on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X