Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webb Updates?

I'd read earlier that Alan Webb hoped to compete in Europe in "late Summer", and that now appears to boil down to Zurich or Brussels.
    Have any of you heard more recent information? It'd be a shame if yet another entire season of competition goes down the drain, so I'm hopeful that he'll still be able to get in a good race or two in 2009.

Is Webb's Career Over?

It may be time to ask if Alan Webb's career is essentially O-V-A? A victim ot Steve Holman Syndrome. Very fast US mile runner who cannot race in the big meets. Can he make a comeback? Sure. Others in track and field have done it. But 2008 (Olympics) and 2009 (Worlds) were a complete bust. And the biological clock is ticking-he'll be 27 on January 13, 2010.

Comment

Re: Is Webb's Career Over?

Originally posted by TnFfan
      It may be time to ask if Alan Webb's career is essentially O-V-A? A victim ot Steve Holman Syndrome. Very fast US mile runner who cannot race in the big meets. Can he make a comeback? Sure. Others in track and field have done it. But 2008 (Olympics) and 2009 (Worlds) were a complete bust. And the biological clock is ticking-he'll be 27 on January 13, 2010.
      Very well said, TnFfan.

Comment

how old was lagat when he got double gold in osaka...

webb needs new tutoring...

you have how many 3:46 american milers???

Comment

Out of respect for Holman, who was a fine athlete, he NEVER had the talent that Webb had. So I wouldn't classify him in the same manner as Webb. Sorry, Webb is in a class by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
            32 in Kenyan years.

Comment

Originally posted by knite
              Out of respect for Holman, who was a fine athlete, he NEVER had the talent that Webb had. So I wouldn't classify him in the same manner as Webb. Sorry, Webb is in a class by himself.
              He is in the same class as Webb re: being unable to compete successfully in big meets. Considering the fact that Webb is faster than Holman was makes his poor showing in big meets even more disappointing.

Comment

Webb's issues seem to be less physical than mental. A new coach and environment might bring him back.

The French equivalent of Webb: Baala; has also had extreme ups and downs: PR 3.28.98 in 2003; 4th Sydney; 12th Edmonton; 2d Paris; zilch Athens, Helsinki; Osaka(dq'd); 4th (3d) Beijing . Not ranked in 2004/5, ranked 4th in 2006/7. 6th in 2008. Yet here he is again, with a 3.30 clocking.

I don't know if their issues are the same, but plenty of French fans counted him out after his failures. Webb is young. Baala is 4 1/2 years older.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                  32 in Kenyan years.
                  Webb is 110 in internet chatter years. :?

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                    32 in Kenyan years.
                    How many in new American citizen years?
                    Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                      How many in new American citizen years?
                      Depends. Do you count when he was an American citizen but represented Kenya?

Comment

For those of you who got nothing positive to say about this man, I only have a few questions for y'all??????

Can any of you even make the USA championships??? NOPE!!!

Can any of you run the times he's ran??? NOPE!!!

Can any of you make a national team??? NOPE!!!

Can any of you set the records he's set so far??? NOPE!!!

Can any of you make it to a championship(world or olympics) to "choke"??? NOPE!!!

I thought so! This thread got hater written all over it!!!

Comment

How many of the male milers from the US HS top ten list ran a 1500 and/or mile PB at 26 or older?

None that I am aware of. Liquori was 25 when he ran 3:52 in '75 and his career was likely prolonged by injury in 1971-2.

I am not aware of any male runner on the US HS top ten list (800-10,000) that ran a PB in the same event after reaching 26 years of age.

As far as the 1500/mile is concerned, I would not be surprised if we have seen the best of Webb.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                            How many of the male milers from the US HS top ten list ran a 1500 and/or mile PB at 26 or older?
                            Mr. gee, I am not aware of where I may be able to find such a list, but my assumption would be that there are more milers from the 1960s and 1970s on the top 10 list than from the 1990s and 2000s. If my presumption is correct, would it not be fair to believe that by age 26, most athletes would have already retired from the event during that time?

If they were 18 when they graduated high school, they'd be 22 when they graduated university. That would leave them a respectable 4 years to work and compete before yielding to life's true commitments.

Just an unsupported theory based on information without the list.
                            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                              Webb's issues seem to be less physical than mental. A new coach and environment might bring him back.

Why didn't I think of that...?

:]

Comment

Working...
                              X