Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Yohan Blake - What are the Jamaican's to do?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Yohan Blake - What are the Jamaican's to do?

I was big on the Jamaican men's 4x100m relay team especially with the way young Yohan Blake had been running. But with him now off the team heading to Worlds,

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... 4?rpc=401&

and the way both Frater and Powell have looked of late it is clear that the Jamaican's aren't runaway favorites.

I assume Steve Mullings will be the 4th runner on the relay team taking Blake's spot and this would be the likely lineup:

Mullings - Frater - Bolt - Powell

How much has the gap closed between them and the Americans and is there another lineup that the Jamaicans can run?

This is no surprise.
    I think it sends a fair message out to the cheats that zero tolerance is now a policy. Sadly, it still casts a dark cloud over the Jamaican unit collectively because theyve been so astonishing over the last year. It also implies that there are more athletes from other countries who just hadnt been caught yet.
    What a shame.

Comment

Re: No Yohan Blake - What are the Jamaican's to do?

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
      I was big on the Jamaican men's 4x100m relay team especially with the way young Yohan Blake had been running. But with him now off the team heading to Worlds,

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... 4?rpc=401&

and the way both Frater and Powell have looked of late it is clear that the Jamaican's aren't runaway favorites.

I assume Steve Mullings will be the 4th runner on the relay team taking Blake's spot and this would be the likely lineup:

Mullings - Frater - Bolt - Powell

How much has the gap closed between them and the Americans and is there another lineup that the Jamaicans can run?
      I think the Americans are getting more confident. Not because of Blake. But because of the recent performances of their runners. Certainly the Blake thing helps. But I like what Tammy said last week about how at Penn, the lead we had was soooooooooo vast, it wouldnt have made a difference had Blake been on 2nd instead of Frater. Its just that Blake had improved so much, it gave the impression that Jamaica was invincible with he, Bolt and Powell. Now Powell looks to have peaked, so it appears the field is leveled out. Theres still the matter of GAys health. Losing Gay would hurt us more than Jamaica losing Blake. But I think its safe to say that we're contenders again.

Comment

The Jamaican team will be fine in Berlin'

Bolt, Asafa, Frater and Mullings will carry home gold.
        Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
          The Jamaican team will be fine in Berlin'

Bolt, Asafa, Frater and Mullings will carry home gold.
          I agree
          20201.jpg

Comment

they didn't have blake last year and they did ok !!
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
              This is true, but Powell was a 9.8 (or better) consistently (outside of the Olympics) as well.

Comment

[quote=guruof track]
                Originally posted by "mump boy":2lm2o767
                This is true, but Powell was a 9.8 (or better) consistently (outside of the Olympics) as well.[/quote:2lm2o767]

he's a completely different athlete with a baton in his hand.
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

[quote=mump boy][quote="guruof track":6u7lg5tj]
                  Originally posted by "mump boy":6u7lg5tj
                  This is true, but Powell was a 9.8 (or better) consistently (outside of the Olympics) as well.[/quote:6u7lg5tj]

he's a completely different athlete with a baton in his hand.[/quote:6u7lg5tj]

I dont disagree, but Asafa isnt the same Asafa that he has been in the past, atleast not to date.

He appears to have lost a step or two. Do you honestly believe he is going to produce an 8.8 or lower split this year??

Comment

[quote=mump boy][quote="guruof track"b6j4u15]
                    Originally posted by "mump boy":pb6j4u15
                    This is true, but Powell was a 9.8 (or better) consistently (outside of the Olympics) as well.[/quoteb6j4u15]

he's a completely different athlete with a baton in his hand.[/quoteb6j4u15]

I agree. Watching the Osaka 2007 videos, Powell choked in the 100m final but almost caught Gay in the 4x100m final - closed the gap crazy fast and could have got him had he been given more "real estate".

Comment

[quote=TheTransporter][quote=mump boy]
                      Originally posted by "guruof track":375g7jis
                      Originally posted by "mump boy":375g7jis
                      This is true, but Powell was a 9.8 (or better) consistently (outside of the Olympics) as well.
                      he's a completely different athlete with a baton in his hand.[/quote:375g7jis]

I agree. Watching the Osaka 2007 videos, Powell choked in the 100m final but almost caught Gay in the 4x100m final - closed the gap crazy fast and could have got him had he been given more "real estate".[/quote:375g7jis]

When has Gay EVER ran anchor??? In 2007 Gay ran 3rd, mind you one of the fastest third legs ever.

Comment

Get it right: it was LEROY DIXON...not Gay

Asafa would NEVER catch Tyson.

And please please please remember that Asafa ran Leroy down....

...but he DID NOT pass him.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

When has Gay EVER ran anchor??? In 2007 Gay ran 3rd, mind you one of the fastest third legs ever.
                          Gay ran anchor in Beijing. The US dropped the baton on his exchange with Darvis Patton during the heats. Not sure if the plan wasn't to switch the order for the final though.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
                            Originally posted by guruof track

Gay ran anchor in Beijing. The US dropped the baton on his exchange with Darvis Patton during the heats. Not sure if the plan wasn't to switch the order for the final though.
                            So he actually NEVER ran the leg.................again Gay has never ran anchor.

Comment

If you really want to be pedantic he split a 8.9 in Walnut last year. Also anchored another 4x1 two weeks earlier in Texas. Those were his only relay appearances in 2008 I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X