Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat two-sport double

Kristin Stormer Steira, silver medalist in this year's cross-country skiing World Championship, won a national T&F title this weekend in the 5000. 16:01.76 may not be a great time, but she beat the second placer by 55 seconds!
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

By nordic measures it's not that bad! Swedish champs were a really fast race with regards to the swedish level of running and there were only 3 girls sub 16.

One would imagine that she's even better when running XC. At least she's really good uphill when skiing.

Comment

I would say that is actually an amazing time for someone who is not a specialized long-distance runner. I bet most male cross-country skiers couldn't keep up with her.

Comment

I was under the impression that there is a lot of cross over between XC skiing and distance running. Todd Boonstra was one of the top HS runners in Minnesota a couple of years after me, and he was a multiple Olympian in XC skiing.

Comment

There are a few critical differences that can make a world of difference in
          ability, including muscle groups used, the ability to rest when going
          down-hill, and the importance of technique (at least) when skating. Anyone with
          the endurance to be good at skiing should have no problem to be at least decent
          in running (not necessarily the other way around), but to excel in both is
          another matter. (Possibly, shot put and discus make a good analogy.)

Comment

Ingrid Kristiansen was a great x-country skiing talent as a junior in the mid 70's.
            Not too shabby on the track and road either as it turned out.

Norway also had Martin Stokken, 4th in the London 10000 in '48 and 10th in Helsinki '52 where he was among the medal favorites - after Zatopek of course.
            Stokken, was also a great skier who later dropped track for X-country skiing. He won Gold in Cortina in 1956 on the Norwegian 4x10km relay team.

Today it is impossible to combine these sports on the world level.

The classic style in X-country skiing is probably more useful for runners than the skating technique.

Comment

XC skiiing has gotten to be increasingly reliant on upper body strength/double poling.

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                I would say that is actually an amazing time for someone who is not a specialized long-distance runner. I bet most male cross-country skiers couldn't keep up with her.
                I know. What I meant was it's not a world-class time per se.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                X