Happy Birthday Cordner Nelson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Cordner Nelson

Happy birthday today (Thursday) to Cordner Nelson, who with his brother Bert, founded Track and Field News in 1948. Cordner turns 91 years old today and lives in the Monterey area of California. He still follows the sport, however is unable to go to Berlin because of his health. When he missed going to Beijing last year, it was his first Summer Olympic Games he missed since London in 1948. The sport of track and field is so much richer because of Cordner Nelson. Happy birthday Cordner.

Prosit 8-) !
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: Happy Birthday Cordner Nelson

Originally posted by Double R Bar
      Happy birthday today (Thursday) to Cordner Nelson, who with his brother Bert, founded Track and Field News in 1948..
      So 61 years ago he did a good, good thing! HB, C!

Comment

If it is ever said of anyone, I say it for you, Cordner:

YOU DA MAN !!!!

Comment

Hey, it's my birthday, too! I had no idea I shared a birthday with such a great man. I hope I keep enjoying track & field meets for as long as he has.
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
            Hey, it's my birthday, too! I had no idea I shared a birthday with such a great man. I hope I keep enjoying track & field meets for as long as he has.
            HB, Lee.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Cordner's birthday

Cordner, I missed seeing you last August in Beijing but now am glad to read in this forum that you are alive and still interested in T&F athletics.

Perhaps you remember joining, with Bert, the lunch that I hosted for Percy Cerutty and Herb Elliott in 1959. Or a few months earlier when T&F commented on my magazine changing from mini-newspaper format to a magazine with cover photo. Oh my, where did that half century go to so quickly?

My wish, as a fellow oldtimer, is that this and many future days will be happy for you.

Comment

One of my all-time heroes in the sport. Jack Pfeifer orchestrated a surprise 90th birthday party for Cordner during last year's Trials in Eugene. It was a great gathering of the many friends that he has acquired over the years.

What most people don't know about Cordner is that he was an original member of the first T&F fantasy game which began more than 50(60?) years ago--and he's still an active player!

The word gentle-man fits Cordner to a tee.

Happy Birthday old friend.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  If it is ever said of anyone, I say it for you, Cordner:

YOU DA MAN !!!!
                  Well, put! Happy Birthday!

I guess Happy Birthday to trackstar, too. Yawn. Whatever. J/K, Lee. Have a good 'un! Drink some beer!

Comment

Not only was Cordner an original member of the track and field fantasy game, he originated the game in 1956 and I believe it was the first ever sports fantasy game of its kind. He still plays in that original game (Hertz Game) as well as another game (Avis Game). From writing several popular books on track and field to seeing fifteen Summer Olympic Games and ten world outdoor championships, it's difficult to find someone with more influence in the sport of track and field. He is a true gentleman and a very smart guy.

Comment

I don't think Cordner plays the Avis game, but he does play the Budget game. Other than that quibble, I certainly concur with what you've said about him.

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Sorry, the Budget game. And yes, Happy Birthday, Cordner, the only person I know to have celebrated his birthday in the same Olympic stadium at two Summer Olympic Games (1932 and 1984).

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Birthday greetings to a true scholar and gentleman!

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Thank you for many years of Track and Field News. A wonderful thing that you and your brother gave us all.

Go for the Century Mark!

Comment

Working...
                              X