Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    There's no way possible it could hurt!!!!!!!
    Exactly - his career is currently dead in the water. Many of the internet shrinks around here (including me) have speculated that a change in scenery from Virginia/Raczko might be just what the doctor ordered. Not many better places to put down middle distance roots than with Salazar's group. The inclusion of Raczko will let Webb maintain a certain comfort level with the changes. Sure, they will have to find a way to make the mix work out, but Salazar has shown the ability to make this kind of thing work before. No real downside. Lots of potential upside.

Comment

There's no way possible it could hurt!!!!!!!
      In response to Squackee:
      He's mellowed out a bit with age, but Salazar is still the same guy who killed himself twice in races. He's still crazy and the workload is intense. For a guy like Webb who has (purportedly) had problems with overtraining, it might not necessarily be a good fit. That said, being a 3:30 guy running 3:40 and not making teams isn't that much different from being a 3:30 guy running 3:50 and not making teams.

Other points:
      1. While Salazar has obviously had success with people 5km and up, he has yet to coach a middle distance runner (that I'm aware of), or even a 'wired' athlete like Webb. If you have a bunch of diesels it's not hard to get a response doing stuff like 15x 1km, 8x 1M, hard 20M runs, sleeping at 14,000 ft., etc. You can beat the piss out of distance runners and oftentimes it works. It's different for 1:43-type guys.
      2. That said, Webb's best event is ultimately the 5000. Perhaps the sooner he realizes that the better, even if it takes some prodding.

Comment

I too do not know if this is the best choice for AW, but like others am glad to see him trying something different in an environment that seems to be successful with other distance runners (though, as has been pointed out, perhaps not like AW). In any case, it seemed he needed to do something different -- I know he has run some great times, but three of his last four seasons (06-09) have ended early -- if nothing else, I would like to see him have a complete season.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
          Other points:
          1. While Salazar has obviously had success with people 5km and up, he has yet to coach a middle distance runner (that I'm aware of), or even a 'wired' athlete like Webb.
          (American mile-record-holder Alan Webb will move to Portland, Ore., to train with Alberto Salazar's training group Nike Portland,..."

Remember that there is another coach in that group; it says trains with AS's training group (not AS specifically). A miler himself who has had substantial success with runners from 800 up, particularly 1500 - 5000. That coach has learned a lot about finding out the right amount of work for his runners (see Tegenkamp).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            Remember that there is another coach in that group; it says trains with AS's training group (not AS specifically). A miler himself who has had substantial success with runners from 800 up, particularly 1500 - 5000. That coach has learned a lot about finding out the right amount of work for his runners (see Tegenkamp).
            I can't think of a world-class athlete Jerry has coached who is a 1500/5000 guy.

Pre-emptive rebuttal:
            Tegenkamp doesn't count as he's not a 1500/5 guy. The man from Missouri with electric copper locks has a decent 1500 PB, yes. However, they seem to be falling into the Kennedy-esque delusion that even thinking about running a 10,000 (not 'moving up' even, just running one) will forever close the door on improvements at shorter distances. Not sure if it's arrogance, ignorance, what. I fear Tegenkamp, like Bob, will wait too long to figure out he's a 5/10 guy. FFS, he was 5th at World Cross over 8km in conditions that abysmal can't describe. You don't do that if you're not a strength guy.
            For some reason, I can't see Webb thriving on 10M rhythm runs on the Arb road.

Comment

Evan Jager is a 1500/5000 guy with his impressive 3:54 mile season debut at Pre Classic and then making his first senior level team in the 5k.

Personally I see Webb as making this move not just to shake things up but to make the transition to the 5k so could be the perfect fit.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoasttiger
                Evan Jager is a 1500/5000 guy with his impressive 3:54 mile season debut at Pre Classic and then making his first senior level team in the 5k.
                Perhaps I should've included this in my preemptive rebuttal, as I knew it would come up, but 3:38/13:22 is not world-class.
                Making teams (well done to young Jager) and getting international medals (which Webb can actually do, realistically, not just talk about it like so many out-of-touch Americans seem to be doing these days) are two entirely different things.

Comment

I'm not saying Webb won't thrive at the 5K distance, but I'm sure himself and more importantly Nike would like to keep the 1500/mile as his premier event.

Comment

Kennedy never ran 3:34 and Tegenkamp will not race at 10,000 for a lot longer than the LetsRun faction would wish. How can you say that an American (other than Lagat) that has gotten closer to a medal (0.03 seconds) than anyone since before Pre is not a 5000 guy with very good (by US standards) 1500?

As for saying that getting essentially a college soph to run 3:54/13:22 is not a sign of great coaching at 1500/5000. Your comment borders on being preposterous. By the way, you might also look at the other gender for successes as wll (although longer).

Comment

Salazar appears to have a magic touch, can't wait to see the new Webb.
                      phsstt!

Comment

I nearly died of happiness when I read this news. Admittedly, I'm a huge Webb fan, and my excitement for him could perhaps blind my eyes to reason and common sense. The way Salazar has turned around the careers of his faltering athletes and built up the careers of his unknowns makes me very curious to see what will happen with Webb.

Admittedly, Salazar has not been able to make a hero out of just anyone, but with Webb he's got the raw material there. This is damn exciting.

Comment

Salazar appears to have a magic touch, can't wait to see the new Webb.
                          Majic touch? By what standards?

Comment

interesting to see Ritz and Webb possibly in same group.

Before "relegating" Webb to the "move up" to 5k...hard not pause and consider that sub-1:44 800m he ran. A barrier Symmonds only broke very recently for first time.

Comment

Originally posted by exdrake
                              interesting to see Ritz and Webb possibly in same group.

Before "relegating" Webb to the "move up" to 5k...hard not pause and consider that sub-1:44 800m he ran. A barrier Symmonds only broke very recently for first time.
                              But also remember he has faster 5,000 and 10,000 PRs than Galen Rupp does at this point, not that I expect that to be true much longer. In fact, all of Webb's PRs are faster than Rupp's.

I am not suggest that Webb needs to move up. What I am suggesting is that, despite the 1:43 800, he is still more a strength miler than a speed miler. I don't think it's a coincidence that he ran 1:43/3:30/3:46 the year after running 27:34 and couple of years after making the World Cross team at 12K.

Rupp and Ritz could well prove to be excellent training partners for Webb.

Comment

At one point Mr. Webb could run a 47s relay as well as a 846 indoor 2mile. He's run quick at 800m and strong at 10000m. I don't believe it is an either/or with Mr. Webb, but that he's been able to use both his speed and his strength effectively at the mile.
                                Fire Impossible.

Comment

Working...
                                X