X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by ironchopz
    His name sort of overshadows someone who has taken the path I think Alan should have: Dathan Ritzenheim.
    Interesting comparison as Webb, despite his struggles, has clearly had a better career thus far than RitzenheiN.

Leave a comment:

• ironchopz
    replied
    My take on the Alan Webb career is rather straightforward. I have thought, ever since he left the University of Michigan to turn pro and work out under his high school coach, that he needed a different coach, one who has experience with consistency at the elite level.

No disrespect to his high school coach, but coaching a talent like Alan Webb’s at the high school level is almost ‘quirky’ in that it does not happen every year, let alone decade. My thoughts are Alan needed a different coach from the time he turned pro, and that he should have competed more at the NCAA level. No doubt Alan is a great runner – it would be a shame to see that he may be just a “flash-in-the-pan.” His name sort of overshadows someone who has taken the path I think Alan should have: Dathan Ritzenheim. Two equally talented runners in their respective events, but different paths.

My 2¢

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    Being a Webb and Salazar fan, I really hope it all works out well. I doubt Alan would be making the move without lengthy discussion, and positive feelings about the arrangement.

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by bhall
    Of the Nike related coaches I'd have thought Cook or Schumacher would have been better fits in terms of their middle distance expertise.
    Cook seems to be riding the wave of the future and does most of his coaching via telecommuting. I think Webb would need a bit more day to day attention.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    Kara Goucher bronze 2007 WC

While Rupp hasn't had a medal impact he also hasn't been DFL in his global champs races either. He's been 11th and 13th in WC/OG finals. Pretty solid.

When push comes to shove Rupp is a 10k guy. So it is going to be an interesting situation. Of the Nike related coaches I'd have thought Cook or Schumacher would have been better fits in terms of their middle distance expertise.

Leave a comment:

• 15mph
    replied
    Originally posted by 3
    At one point Mr. Webb could run a 47s relay as well as a 846 indoor 2mile. He's run quick at 800m and strong at 10000m. I don't believe it is an either/or with Mr. Webb, but that he's been able to use both his speed and his strength effectively at the mile.
    Salazar is good at getting runners ready for national championships, but to my knowledge none of his runners have made a big impact on the world stage. They have certainly done nothing comparable to what Webb did in 2007.

Webb is too unpredictable to foresee what he is going to do in the future.

Next year Webb will be 27, which is the same age Spivey got his WC bronze medal. Time is ticking away.

Leave a comment:

• mal
    replied
    Originally posted by Muscleman
    Well his muscle and speed could possibly be one of the best things about him. I dont think that had anything to do with why he wasnt running well and it wont be why he runs fast. There needs to be much evaluation done before any coach condemns a body type or mode of training.
    Muscle is good, but size is less so. Mel Pender was great for about 60. He needed to be great for 100.

I can see Webb improving if they can shave some pounds off his torso. Like cyclists - "legs like a lowland Gorilla, arms like a beauty queen"

If he can hit the right balance he will improve. I do recognize he is naturally endowed up there. He's a muscular guy, but that doesn't mean he can't reshape himself.

Power to weight, only carry what you need to get it done.

In my case it's to open a fridge and carry a can to the wife so she can pull the top off.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by Muscleman
    Well his muscle and speed could possibly be one of the best things about him. I dont think that had anything to do with why he wasnt running well and it wont be why he runs fast. There needs to be much evaluation done before any coach condemns a body type or mode of training.
    Webb seems a bit bigger than when he was running at his best. Perhaps some of that bulk may be contributing to his injury problems as well. There aren't too many world class runners that look as big or muscular as Webb does right now and, by the way, he is not running world class at the moment. Good riddance of that extra weight imo.

Leave a comment:

• Muscleman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    "Salazar wants Webb, who has a muscular upper body, to lose some of his bulk: 'He won't touch a weight the first six months. He has to lean out.'" Probably a good move.
    Although I agree with the comment, I am quite surprised that it was made "in public" at this stage of the relationship. Just me, or does anyone else think this is a bit of a strange way of doing business?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    "Salazar wants Webb, who has a muscular upper body, to lose some of his bulk: 'He won't touch a weight the first six months. He has to lean out.'" Probably a good move.

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Miler
    Have you worked with Schumacher, Lananna, Mahon, et al?
    I've been employed in various settings within the sport of athletics.

Leave a comment:

• 2 cents
    replied
    According to an article on Oregonlive.com, a huge factor in this situation is a sports psychologist named Darren Treasure, whose influence in Salazar's group has increased since Salazar's heart attack. Treasure has already been working with Webb for the past year. Salazar said: "Darren is able to shoulder a lot...that is the only reason this is happening with Alan."
    Well, one hopes the sports psychologist is worthy of his name.

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied
    [quote=K.I.R.]
    Originally posted by "Half Miler":15im1n6b
    K.I.R., where do you get this information?
    I've hung around the sport a bit?[/quote:15im1n6b]

OK. I guess I was hoping for some details. One of the great benefits of forums like this is anonymity, so I can't expect you to tell me who you are. But I have to say after reading many of your posts I'm impressed with your intimate knowledge of coaches and athletes. Have you worked with Schumacher, Lananna, Mahon, et al?

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Miler
    K.I.R., where do you get this information?
    I've hung around the sport a bit?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X