Clear All

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedster
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    Women's 6 finalized

Jeter, Lee, L. Williams, Felix, Hooker, Anderson

No shockers there.
    You would assume that Anderson and Hooker will replace Felix and Lee for the heat. Both ladies did great in Cottbus so they could be on for a quick heat time as well.

Jeter looked great on the final leg, she has said she's been working on her sprint form all year, you can see her get into a great position for a few strides and then fall out again. If she gets it together in Berlin, she could surprise the Jamaicans.
    Agree with all of the above. Amazing how simple the women's event has been to figure out compared to the men's (JAM ladies slightly harder, but on the whole more about position than names) Mens has been a minefield - USA had about 10 guys to pick from! Women - 3 from the individual plus Felix and they're ready...

Leave a comment:

• Speedster
    replied
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    Women's 6 finalized

No shockers there.
    You would assume that Anderson and Hooker will replace Felix and Lee for the heat. Both ladies did great in Cottbus so they could be on for a quick heat time as well.

Jeter looked great on the final leg, she has said she's been working on her sprint form all year, you can see her get into a great position for a few strides and then fall out again. If she gets it together in Berlin, she could surprise the Jamaicans.

Leave a comment:

• Alexm
    replied
    The good thing is the US team have run with what would appear to be their Berlin team. When have Jamaica done the same this season, I can't think of one?

I'm not sure the US can threaten the WR as to get that they will need excellent baton passing and they simply don't practice enough. The GDR ran the comparable time of 41.60 in 1990 with Moller, Krabbe, Behrendt and Gunther, and only Krabbe was in sub 11 form, the others were high 11.1's to 11.2. It was all about the passing though. The GDR women used to start from a sprint position, not standing, and had a longer exchange area, taking more steps than other teams to reach fuller speed. If the USA or Jamaica could practice as much as the GDR did and did this kind of stuff they'd be be approaching 41.1..but they don't.

Leave a comment:

• texas_speed
    replied
    Women's 6 finalized

No shockers there.

Leave a comment:

• TrainerPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    was this posted? this is a better one than the previous one posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynh14MXlawU

i'd think the US would go with these 4 for berlin. they ran great and why change this lineup.
    Better video. Thanks. We can see the exchanges clearly.

Lauryn got off to a great start and her exchange with Felix was pretty good. Felix blazed down that back stretch, but her exchange with Muna left a lot to be desired. Might just be me but Muna looked like she struggled on that 3rd leg. At least that last exchange was decent and Jeter ran as well as she could to close.

I'm not so sure Muna is the answer on that 3rd leg. She didn't look comfortable at all.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    was this posted? this is a better one than the previous one posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynh14MXlawU

i'd think the US would go with these 4 for berlin. they ran great and why change this lineup.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    I don't see a runaway.... but the win should go to Jamaica if everyone is healthy and hand-off's are well.

For the Jamaica team I think its all about the order. If the order is right we should win handily. If the order is jacked up and politics, ego and in fighting get the better of people, then America can easily win this. I mean without the ego the team is easily put together.
    SAF/VCB
    Brooks/Aileen
    SAF/VCB
    Kerron

And if I had to choose, I would go for VCB starting over SAF.
    I just imagined VCB vs Lauryn on a curve starting out.... now that would be a blow out! lol

VCB isn't going anywhere near first, so I am hoping the powers that be put her 3rd. I hope she doesn't anchor, although I think that might just be where they stick her. If she anchors, Kerron had better run the backstretch for the mere fact that she needs to be let loose on a straight away to be completely effective. The third leg can be Bailey/Facey, both of whom can run a competent curve IMHO, Muna will give them a run for it, but as long as first and second does the job it shouldn't be a complete blow out and we should have at least a marginal lead going into anchor. I think VCB with a lead, ever so slight even, beats Jeter on anchor.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    The Jamaican women did quite well last year in the 100. The American team, in a practice meet, I think handily beat the Jamaican record in the 4x100. There are not a lot of new Jamaican women and some (VCB) are not in last year's form. The notion that the Jamaican team is much better than the American team seems rather flawed to me. Yes, I am an American, but I would say the same in the reverse situation. I expect a good race, maybe a great race. In my opinion (IMHO) the only things that will lead to a runaway win for either team are handoff issues and injuries (during the race; it is the last in a number of races, after all).

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    I just think "on the fly" is more of an equalizer for the US.

Overall the Jamaican team has faster 100m runners from the blocks.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    Re: Footspeed Really isn't all

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by Megas15
    I find it interesting that some folks have gone as far as predicting specific times for the women 4x100m relay. I remember in 1988 when Flo Jo was running 10.5's and Evelyn low 10.8's and still came up with a time of 41.97 for the win; in addition, Evelyn had to run down Gohr for a close finish...
    In addition to this, when a team like the U.S. team ran on this past Saturday, it sent a clear message they are ready to run and run fast. They may not in fact have the fastest 4 combined, but we KNOW it's about getting the stick around the fastest. The U.S. team should improve their sticks, lower that time, now we'll simply see what everyone else is capable of doing, JA included.
    Exactly, Speed.

People are quoting 100m times like all 4 legs begin from the blocks.

Like I said before, the blocks are a bigger achilles heel for the US than the Jamaicans in the 100m. But in the 4x1 on one leg has to use them. Felix will be TURNED LOOSE on that backstretch and neither Muna nor Corvette will have to react to a gun from a sitting start.

Have y'all ever seen these women sprint on the fly?

From that position all of the advantage that you think JA had has been removed.

Print this.
    I think your underestimating Stewart and VCB on the fly.... and SAF out of the blocks is a force to be reckoned with and for those who think she can't run a curve check the Jamaica trials where she came second behind VCB running out of the blocks.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied

Originally posted by Speedfirst
    I find it interesting that some folks have gone as far as predicting specific times for the women 4x100m relay. I remember in 1988 when Flo Jo was running 10.5's and Evelyn low 10.8's and still came up with a time of 41.97 for the win; in addition, Evelyn had to run down Gohr for a close finish...
    In addition to this, when a team like the U.S. team ran on this past Saturday, it sent a clear message they are ready to run and run fast. They may not in fact have the fastest 4 combined, but we KNOW it's about getting the stick around the fastest. The U.S. team should improve their sticks, lower that time, now we'll simply see what everyone else is capable of doing, JA included.
    Exactly, Speed.

People are quoting 100m times like all 4 legs begin from the blocks.

Like I said before, the blocks are a bigger achilles heel for the US than the Jamaicans in the 100m. But in the 4x1 on one leg has to use them. Felix will be TURNED LOOSE on that backstretch and neither Muna nor Corvette will have to react to a gun from a sitting start.

Have y'all ever seen these women sprint on the fly?

From that position all of the advantage that you think JA had has been removed.

Print this.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    When I said a week or so ago that the US women CAN WIN guruoftrack and few others balked based on open 100m times.

I was told that the US women don't have the foospeed to compete with JA.

Jokers quiet now.
    I made that prediction after that 10.75 (before KS 'injury'). If Jamaica women are ALL 100% (which is obviously not the case), they should win as long as they manage handoffs. HOWEVER, all things being considered in reality, the USA IS the favorite going in.

I still stand by my comment that Jamaica at FULL go is faster than US women at FULL go.

No matter what it should be a good race.

Leave a comment:

• TrainerPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by justblaze1011
    AFTER she ran that 10.75 what has she don't??? Her running 10.9 isn't nothing new because she's done it in previous years.
    You make it sound like sub 11 isn't special. How many women have run under 11 this season? Jeter is the only American to do it and her best time is 10.92. Sub 11 should get you on the medal stand and in past years it would land someone the gold.

10.9x is a fantastic time. She has done it 6 times this season.

Leave a comment:

• Matt1
    replied

Yes, think Echols had a slow run though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X