Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuczynski still out? [she's out]

In Berlin, stuczynski was supposed to arrive here on the 5th, but did not make the trip. A lot of people saying she's out; they told me she hasn't been able to take a vault in a meet or practice since US Naionals. This means both Olympic Silver and bronze medalists will be out for the World's.

Good for Isi, cuz she's not on top of her game either. Pyrek and Rogo look very good now.

Comment

USATF says she's aiming for gold:

Stuczynski reaching for gold

The dominant force in American women's pole vault, three-time USA Outdoor champion and 2008 Visa Outdoor champion Jenn Stuczynski is looking to follow up on her silver medal at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. Stuczynski's main competition comes in the form of Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and five-time World champion (two outdoor, three indoor), who could be vulnerable this year after suffering a rare defeat at the London Grand Prix on July 24.
      Winner of the first-ever world crown in the women's pole vault, Stacy Dragila will make what is expected to be her last appearance on the world stage. Dragila has had a long and prosperous career, winning the 2000 Olympic gold medal and two World Outdoor titles ('99, '01). Also competing for the United States will be 2006 NCAA Indoor champion Chelsea Johnson.

Comment

Maybe Jenn is actually feeling awesome right now and this is all a ploy to knock Isi off her game. Right now, Isi doesn't have to do anything amazing to win. Yeah. she's not 100% right now, and yeah, she's beatable, but the odds are still very high that she'll win.

But if Jenn shows up and is unexpectedly jumping amazing, it could really throw off Isi.

Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
          But if Jenn shows up and is unexpectedly jumping amazing
          she will win the coveted "Sandbagger of the Year" Award! :shock:

Comment

But if Jenn shows up and is unexpectedly jumping amazing, it could really throw off Isi.

Just saying...
            I don't think Isi would be fazed if a 1990-vintage Sergey Bubka was allowed into the competition. (even Mr. Spock tried his phaser on her and it didn't work)

Comment

from what i was told she is hurt and hurt bad.she was hurt at us nationals and pulled out of rome,paris.then had surgical procedure done and was in a cast.as mtsky said has not jumped at all and cannot run.pulled out of london.I dont think she can burn that kind of money.isi is a little banged up but has been able to jump.stuzinski is hurt and unable to jump.i dont think playing possum is in the equation.she is hurt bad enough that its not a factor anyway and its sunday and team berlin said she is not there and still in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by 30yrs-coaching
                its sunday and team berlin said she is not there and still in NY.
                so back to the discussion of who's going to take her place since there was a tie for 4th at USATF.

edit - I see the USA's entries are

Stacy DRAGILA
                Chelsea JOHNSON
                Jillian SCHWARTZ
                Jennifer STUCZYNSKI

so that answers THAT question! (but what happened to Steiner-Bennett?)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I don't think Isi would be fazed if a 1990-vintage Sergey Bubka was allowed into the competition. (even Mr. Spock tried his phaser on her and it didn't work)
                  Is she still wrapping herself up in that blanket between jumps? Bubka could do a number from Flashdance directly in front of her, let alone jump, and she might not even realize he was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    so back to the discussion of who's going to take her place since there was a tie for 4th at USATF.

Stacy DRAGILA
                    Chelsea JOHNSON
                    Jillian SCHWARTZ
                    Jennifer STUCZYNSKI

Has anyone seen the basis for naming Shwartz?

Comment

Steiner -Bennett ranked higher and was an Olympic finalst. I am not sure that Schwartz even made the Oly Team? Bring on April.

Originally posted by dj

Stacy DRAGILA
                      Chelsea JOHNSON
                      Jillian SCHWARTZ
                      Jennifer STUCZYNSKI

Comment

Originally posted by twinpeeks
                        Steiner -Bennett ranked higher and was an Olympic finalst. I am not sure that Schwartz even made the Oly Team? Bring on April.

Originally posted by dj

Stacy DRAGILA
                        Chelsea JOHNSON
                        Jillian SCHWARTZ
                        Jennifer STUCZYNSKI

Jillian was an Olympian in 2004 and made the World Team in 2007, and was the alternate to the Olympic Team last year, she has more credentials behind her than April does, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is that she is jumping higher and consistently better than April, particularly since USAs.

Jillian

4.45 4 NC Eugene OR 28 Jun
                        4.42 1 NC Tel Aviv 1 Jul
                        4.36 9 Madrid 2009 Madrid 4 Jul
                        4.20 3 Albertville 9 Jul
                        4.55 SB (21) 1 Donnas 12 Jul
                        4.24 1 MaccabiahG Tel Aviv 15 Jul
                        4.45 2 Top 4 Ried 17 Jul
                        4.35 3 Vard Réthimno 20 Jul
                        4.55 2 Bayer Leverkusen 31 Jul

April
                        4.45 SB (30) 4 NC Eugene OR 28 Jun
                        4.36 7 Madrid 2009 Madrid 4 Jul
                        NH Albertville 9 Jul
                        4.35 4 Tsiklitiria Athína 13 Jul
                        4.36 4 Jockgrim 21 Jul

USATF screwed up by not having a jump-off for the alternate spot, but given that we can't fix that, I think it's pretty clear who is ready to jump higher in Berlin if needed.

Comment

Stacy DRAGILA
                          Chelsea JOHNSON
                          Jillian SCHWARTZ
                          Jennifer STUCZYNSKI

so that answers THAT question! (but what happened to Steiner-Bennett?)[/quote]

Has anyone seen the basis for naming Shwartz?[/quote][/quote]

I have friends in high places.

Comment

Jillian was an Olympian in 2004 and made the World Team in 2007, and was the alternate to the Olympic Team last year, she has more credentials behind her than April does, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is that she is jumping higher and consistently better than April, particularly since USAs.

Jillian

4.45 4 NC Eugene OR 28 Jun
                            4.42 1 NC Tel Aviv 1 Jul
                            4.36 9 Madrid 2009 Madrid 4 Jul
                            4.20 3 Albertville 9 Jul
                            4.55 SB (21) 1 Donnas 12 Jul
                            4.24 1 MaccabiahG Tel Aviv 15 Jul
                            4.45 2 Top 4 Ried 17 Jul
                            4.35 3 Vard Réthimno 20 Jul
                            4.55 2 Bayer Leverkusen 31 Jul

April
                            4.45 SB (30) 4 NC Eugene OR 28 Jun
                            4.36 7 Madrid 2009 Madrid 4 Jul
                            NH Albertville 9 Jul
                            4.35 4 Tsiklitiria Athína 13 Jul
                            4.36 4 Jockgrim 21 Jul

USATF screwed up by not having a jump-off for the alternate spot, but given that we can't fix that, I think it's pretty clear who is ready to jump higher in Berlin if needed.
                            This is a great example of one of the perks of having two spots settled at USAs and then leaving room for a bit of discretion with the third, as Sanya Richards suggested recently. Basing something off one data point, especially in an event like the pole vault where winds can change, etc. is dangerous. Making decisions based off of multiple data points is always better.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                              Making decisions based off of multiple data points is always better.
                              There are not enough data points to allow a committee to decide ANY spots on a team. There MUST be hard and fast objective criteria to determine who is on the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X