• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Originally posted by gh
    Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies. You do not.
    I'm very surprised you feel this way, gh. Firstly, because it simply isn't true, beyond a few short comments (mea culpa). Secondly, because a huge proportion of trash talking has not come from the old guard but from newish posters. The only explanation I can come up with is that you haven't actually been reading all the threads in the past month or two.

But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything. In this context quantity will always prevail over quality. If it's your desire for this forum to continue it's trend of becoming a Jamaica vs USA, Bolt vs Gay vs ???, sprint-centric one, with multiple threads on the same topic, with the same posters posting the same thing over and over again, I'm sure everyone who comes here will make a personal decision whether to continue doing so or not.
    I think you (and others) misread the direction of my post. Or, more likely, I didn't write it well enough.

I was not addressing any of the trash-talking posts that are polluting the board. I see that problem, recognize it, and hate it. But that's not the issue for the moment.

I was specifically addressing (some of) the old guard's taking specific shots at TS people as if each and every one of them should be lumped into one minority to be disrespected every time somebody makes an objectionable post.

If you have a problem with a specific post or poster, so say (politely). Don't make huge generalities. That's all I'm asking. Just as in the early days of the board when we had to ask people to lay off letsrun.

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied
    Originally posted by imaginative
    While I agree with Guru and Mojo (and was more than a
    little annoyed at gh's post), we should possibly bear in mind
    that these things can look different from different perspectives.

There is always a possibility that we non-TS members are
    not quite as innocent as we like to think.

(The same applies, obviously and equally, to the track sharkers.)
    Yes, best analysis yet. And I am no fan of Imaginative's... :lol: But really, neither side is at fault, because the selection of posters that take the board too seriously and can't keep their head when an argument breaks out is divided up between both camps.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    While I agree with Guru and Mojo (and was more than a
    little annoyed at gh's post), we should possibly bear in mind
    that these things can look different from different perspectives.

There is always a possibility that we non-TS members are
    not quite as innocent as we like to think.

(The same applies, obviously and equally, to the track sharkers.)

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies. You do not.
    I'm very surprised you feel this way, gh. Firstly, because it simply isn't true, beyond a few short comments (mea culpa). Secondly, because a huge proportion of trash talking has not come from the old guard but from newish posters. The only explanation I can come up with is that you haven't actually been reading all the threads in the past month or two.

But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything. In this context quantity will always prevail over quality. If it's your desire for this forum to continue it's trend of becoming a Jamaica vs USA, Bolt vs Gay vs ???, sprint-centric one, with multiple threads on the same topic, with the same posters posting the same thing over and over again, I'm sure everyone who comes here will make a personal decision whether to continue doing so or not.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I second that emotion.
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• 2 cents
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Rest assured that if we go into Berlin with a skeletal crew of a half dozen posters, that will be fine by us.
    Why would anybody want to participate here after reading this? Why not just say that you don't care if anybody participates? I am joining guru, and I am no fan of guru's....

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo
    To say that the old guard "thinks it has a right to trash the newbies" is wrong and an insult to the posters who have been very loyal to this board.
    Don't waste tears on them. They're just a bunch of snooty country clubbers. Most, if not all, of them will be in Berlin in their fancy finish line seats.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    If anything long time members has been very toleratant of the many annoying, combative and uninformative threads that have proliferated the board of late.
    Then just ignore the lot of them. And only post and read the threads where the noise level is low.......... Ah, but you don't like cross country?
    I do ignore them.

My main point is that it is not the old guard causing trouble and bashing the newbies. I believe that some, but not all, of the newbies came here looking for a fight. THEN yes some oldies took the bait.

To say that the old guard "thinks it has a right to trash the newbies" is wrong and an insult to the posters who have been very loyal to this board.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    If anything long time members has been very tolerant of the many annoying, combative and uninformative threads that have proliferated the board of late.
    Then just ignore the lot of them. And only post and read the threads where the noise level is low.......... Ah, but you don't like cross country?

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    I am neither "old' nor a "guard" but I have been around here awhile.

If anything long time members has been very tolerate of the many annoying, combative and uninformative threads that have proliferated the board of late.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies.

As you have freely admitted, you have not been around the boards for some time due to your vacation. The problem has not been the "old guard", it's been the transplanted TS Jamaica vs US mob war.

Rest assured that if we go into Berlin with a skeletal crew of a half dozen posters, that will be fine by us.

Ok, fair enough.

Even though I personally haven't said word one(until now) about the level of discourse here since the demise of trackshark, I'm leaving. I would encourage ALL, and I mean everyone, of the regulars to join me in leaving this board for the duration of the World Championships, since gh feels, and has stated, the problem lies with us.

I'm sure the board will be a veritable kumbaya party in our absence, especially after the 100 and 4x1's.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    I second that emotion.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I wrote that last while dashing out to dinner (in Europe, hence the time disconnect) and didn't finish my thought.

Any further comments along that line will be met with extreme prejudice.

We're here to discuss track & field, not toss dung-bombs at each other.

Is this finally clear to all involved? Rest assured that if we go into Berlin with a skeletal crew of a half dozen posters, that will be fine by us.
    Thank you gh!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I wrote that last while dashing out to dinner (in Europe, hence the time disconnect) and didn't finish my thought.

Any further comments along that line will be met with extreme prejudice.

We're here to discuss track & field, not toss dung-bombs at each other.

Is this finally clear to all involved? Rest assured that if we go into Berlin with a skeletal crew of a half dozen posters, that will be fine by us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X