Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rest my case. Back to your favorite sport.

Comment

Amazing that a thread directing users towards civility can still devolve into this.

Comment

Can we all just get a long?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
          Can we all just get a long?!?!
          I can, with about 98 % of the posters here. Perhaps the other 2 % can be gently encouraged to start up "Son of TrackShark", or something like that, and then they can go there and beat up on each other.... :wink:
          Is there a seconder for that motion?

Comment

Track Daddy has the truth of it, but his truth is too threatening to the T&F News status quo.

I was a member here BEFORE I wandered over to TS, but found the laid back atmosphere much less stuffy at TS so posted almost exclusively over there.

Now that TS has gone away and many TSers have migrated over here I find it's the best place available, if not completely satisfying.

The Track and Field knowledge at TS was OUTSTANDING. On par with the knowledge here, but not as pompously delivered. It was delivered with emotion, candor and exclamations!!! Here it seems to be delivered with a suit, tie, tea and horn-rimmed glasses.

But like I said, it's the best show in town. Since I was chastined a few weeks back I've simply stuck to the T&F chatter. That's good enough for me.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
              Track Daddy has the truth of it, but his truth is too threatening to the T&F News status quo.

I was a member here BEFORE I wandered over to TS, but found the laid back atmosphere much less stuffy at TS so posted almost exclusively over there.

Now that TS has gone away and many TSers have migrated over here I find it's the best place available, if not completely satisfying.

The Track and Field knowledge at TS was OUTSTANDING. On par with the knowledge here, but not as pompously delivered. It was delivered with emotion, candor and exclamations!!! Here it seems to be delivered with a suit, tie, tea and horn-rimmed glasses.

But like I said, it's the best show in town. Since I was chastined a few weeks back I've simply stuck to the T&F chatter. That's good enough for me.
              We have a lot in common, Scott.

Maybe I should stick to posting about track too?

Nah. 8-)
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
                Yes, your post was an illustration of arrogance, as you attempted to give a meaning to the word snooty which was not accurate in order to gratify your narcissism. That is all.
                Ut...better be careful, you might get banned!!!

Comment

There is no ambiguity in my statements. Read the guidelines, stick to the guidelines, or go away. It is that simple. This includes everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
                    Read the guidelines. This includes everyone.
                    The guidelines.

Comment

I actually do like it here.

However, the Guidelines, which we were just reminded are for everyone, include these words;

and not everybody has the same level of education. If you wish to be a pedant, please do it elsewhere.

16. Above all, try to remain courteous, adhering to the old adage, "it's not what you say, it's how you say it."
                      Words to live by. It especially pleases me the the word pedant was used in the guidelines. :twisted:

Courtesy goes both ways, "how you say it" goes both ways. If quite a number of people here are made to feel somehow less, I bet it's not a coincidence. There's some reason. Tone and pedantic behavior is the culprit in my opinion.

Wooo!!! Less than a week until Berlin!!!!
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Im my experience here, the guideline that often leads to bans is:
                        14. This isn't a personal message board. If you want to get into a 2-person debate—particularly when you are highjacking a thread—please take it off-line.
                        It is not as obvious as transgressions involving religion or politics, so can lead to surprise bans.

Comment

Although I never posted at trackshark I learned a lot about the sport by browsing the forums when I was new to the game a few years ago. I'm sure no one wants my opinion but I will give it anyway.

I am not going to say trackshark is better or anything because it really doesn't matter at his point. What is will say is that rumor, speculation, national allegiance and allegiance to certain runners, coaches, etc as well as personal opinion is an essential part of the life of our sport. Invariably there are going to be heated discussions and things will get very partisan and maybe some people won't come off as the nicest in the world. What would be nice, however, is to have an unwritten understanding of civility between rivals. This is what is meant by saying "a layed back atmosphere". This does happen often on this board which is great. Unfortunately, there is also a trend here where differences of opinion devolve into contests of intellectual one-upmanship. This is what is meant by "snooty". No one is going to win an argument on a message board by appearing to be smarter. We might as well just argue for the fun of it.

In addition, on the topic of bans, I would say that there are obviously going to be general warnings in the guidelines, but in specific instances sometimes things can get into a mystery area where there is a difference of opinion on what is appropriate. So I really don't see the logic in saying that people should know exactly what to say at all times, and have no beef if they are banned without warning.

Comment

A point in the above discussion that has surprised me highly is the claim
                            that the non-TS poster should be stuffy, condescending, or similar.

This is something I cannot agree with, and I suspect that this is simply a
                            misperception---possibly based in a difference in general background, education
                            or similar (on average).

There are a few posters who can be a bit stuffy (I, arguably, being one of
                            these exceptions), but I would not count Marlow as one---nor e.g. EPelle and
                            bad hammy. (To mention some of the most frequent posters here.) Generally,
                            in any group of this size, there will be a considerably variation in personality
                            and a few individual ``tea drinkers'' in a greater mass are almost unavoidable.
                            (Leaving aside the question if there is something wrong with being a tea
                            drinker---I prefer coffee myself.)

Certainly, many of the older posters here have an amazing depth of knowledge
                            and experience, and between them cover almost any corner of the sport.
                            Certainly, the overall level of constructiveness and sharing of information
                            (as opposed to pie throwing) used to be a lot higher here. (Excepting some
                            individuals who constantly got into page long fights with each other---but now
                            seem to be on a permanent vacation.)

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
                              there will be a considerably variation in personality
                              and a few individual ``tea drinkers'' in a greater mass are almost unavoidable.
                              I admit it! I drink tea. ops: And I like it.

But I'm known to drink coffee too.

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect, quite a few people (including the mods) will agree.

Originally posted by scottmitchell
                                This is exactly the attitude that got TrackDaddy banned, not his beliefs. Elevating his set of beliefs to a higher moral plane than of those that debated him. Calling an established science "nonsense", when it did not fall within his set of beliefs. Condemnation of the homosexuals in the name of his faith. There are several homosexuals among the regulars here, some of them expressed their deep sense of offense over his remarks.

Nobody (at least I) have a problem with anybody's faith. It is when they scream it repeatedly that becomes IMHO a bannable offense.
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X