This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies. You do not.
    I'm very surprised you feel this way, gh. Firstly, because it simply isn't true, beyond a few short comments (mea culpa). Secondly, because a huge proportion of trash talking has not come from the old guard but from newish posters. The only explanation I can come up with is that you haven't actually been reading all the threads in the past month or two.

But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything. In this context quantity will always prevail over quality. If it's your desire for this forum to continue it's trend of becoming a Jamaica vs USA, Bolt vs Gay vs ???, sprint-centric one, with multiple threads on the same topic, with the same posters posting the same thing over and over again, I'm sure everyone who comes here will make a personal decision whether to continue doing so or not.

Comment

While I agree with Guru and Mojo (and was more than a
      little annoyed at gh's post), we should possibly bear in mind
      that these things can look different from different perspectives.

There is always a possibility that we non-TS members are
      not quite as innocent as we like to think.

(The same applies, obviously and equally, to the track sharkers.)

Comment

The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
          While I agree with Guru and Mojo (and was more than a
          little annoyed at gh's post), we should possibly bear in mind
          that these things can look different from different perspectives.

There is always a possibility that we non-TS members are
          not quite as innocent as we like to think.

(The same applies, obviously and equally, to the track sharkers.)
          Yes, best analysis yet. And I am no fan of Imaginative's... :lol: But really, neither side is at fault, because the selection of posters that take the board too seriously and can't keep their head when an argument breaks out is divided up between both camps.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            Originally posted by gh
            Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies. You do not.
            I'm very surprised you feel this way, gh. Firstly, because it simply isn't true, beyond a few short comments (mea culpa). Secondly, because a huge proportion of trash talking has not come from the old guard but from newish posters. The only explanation I can come up with is that you haven't actually been reading all the threads in the past month or two.

But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything. In this context quantity will always prevail over quality. If it's your desire for this forum to continue it's trend of becoming a Jamaica vs USA, Bolt vs Gay vs ???, sprint-centric one, with multiple threads on the same topic, with the same posters posting the same thing over and over again, I'm sure everyone who comes here will make a personal decision whether to continue doing so or not.
            I think you (and others) misread the direction of my post. Or, more likely, I didn't write it well enough.

I was not addressing any of the trash-talking posts that are polluting the board. I see that problem, recognize it, and hate it. But that's not the issue for the moment.

I was specifically addressing (some of) the old guard's taking specific shots at TS people as if each and every one of them should be lumped into one minority to be disrespected every time somebody makes an objectionable post.

If you have a problem with a specific post or poster, so say (politely). Don't make huge generalities. That's all I'm asking. Just as in the early days of the board when we had to ask people to lay off letsrun.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              If you have a problem with a specific post or poster, so say (politely). Don't make huge generalities.

Like this?

Originally posted by gh
              Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. I have a feeling the TS crowd was a younger demographic, with a different approach and different desires.

Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but if you don't enjoy it, it is tough to just step aside to avoid getting trampled. It's a tough adjustment period for both groups.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                  But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything......
                  Obviously, traffic is not an issue, or I wouldn't have made the "if we only have a half-dozen posters" bit of hyperbole.

If we were about increasing traffic, we'd go with the wild-wild-west protocols that have made letsrun such a valued commodity.

Ben started this thread for one reason and one reason only: to get people to stop fanning the flames of bickering and to get back to talking about the sport itself. And in the process he has been wielding a far bigger club than I ever have in booting undesirables. As he said, it will continue until people settle down.

Thanks for your understanding.

Comment

another site used to have immense more amounts of traffic than this one

it's no longer in existence...

Comment

Eldrick!!!!!!!!!!!

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried about you man, where've you been?

Just in time for World's fortunately. Welcome back man!

Comment

guru, sometimes methinks you get too upset and take things too personally. Ease up.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                          guru, sometimes methinks you get too upset and take things too personally.

Then you'd think wrong.

But mojo, marknhj, imaginative, 2 cents, and myself all appreciate your insights on the matter.
                          There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                            Then you'd think wrong.
                            But mojo, marknhj, imaginative, 2 cents, and myself all appreciate your insights on the matter.
                            It's not about taking anything seriously or not; it's a simple recognition of how things are. The Old Guard actually welcomes the New Blood , but it is the tone, civility, and standard of discourse here that sets it apart. No one like visiting a place that's been trashed. I don't think that's being 'snooty' (altho I am rather enamored with the image of the old librarian with hair in a bun shushing the kids), just civil.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by guru
                              Then you'd think wrong.
                              It's not about taking anything seriously or not; it's a simple recognition of how things are. The Old Guard actually welcomes the New Blood , but it is the tone, civility, and standard of discourse here that sets it apart. No one like visiting a place that's been trashed. I don't think that's being 'snooty' (altho I am rather enamored with the image of the old librarian with hair in a bun shushing the kids), just civil.
                              As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"
                              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                                Originally posted by Daisy
                                Originally posted by mojo
                                If anything long time members has been very toleratant of the many annoying, combative and uninformative threads that have proliferated the board of late.
                                Then just ignore the lot of them. And only post and read the threads where the noise level is low.......... Ah, but you don't like cross country?
                                I do ignore them.

My main point is that it is not the old guard causing trouble and bashing the newbies. I believe that some, but not all, of the newbies came here looking for a fight. THEN yes some oldies took the bait.

To say that the old guard "thinks it has a right to trash the newbies" is wrong and an insult to the posters who have been very loyal to this board.
                                It's a war between the smacktalkers and the intellectual discussers. Those two camps never mesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X