X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bhall
    replied
    Maybe this hasn't occurred to folks but the two guys who do most of the moderating around here are surprisingly busy at the moment with higher priorities.

If people have issues with a post please PM me with the issue AND include the a direct link to the post or the text of the post.

Thanks,

The Management

PS- I hope people here are following our Twitter and FaceBook feeds. Lots of good stuff going on all over.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    Thank you Master Po. I personally appreciate your contribution :-)

Let's all be bored for another day or two. Previews will start getting mailed later today.

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    I hoped it wouldn't come to this, but -- short of the moderators sending posters to purgatory, or deleting threads altogether -- there's only one way to settle things down, and that is for Master Po to provide one of his characteristically well-written, well-reasoned, "one the one hand, but on the other hand," "here's some historical context or data that seems interesting and illuminating" thread killing contributions.

Now, because this thread is a "sticky" it won't immediately sink like a stone; however, once I make such a contribution, it will happen. While there have, on the one hand, been exceptions to my thread-killing capacities, on the other hand, there is a lot of data somewhere in these forums to support such a claim. Moreover, were one to do some sort of rhetorical analysis of the data, one would find that no amount of erudition or experience in the TF world, or esteem on these boards, or even smacktalking skills, or heated debate or argument or passion, can stand up to the boredom that ensues from one of my posts. As I do with my students, I have the capacity to render people thoughtless and speechless.

So, don't consider yourself warned -- consider yourself bored. If you don't settle down, I'll come back here and bore you again. I don't like having to do this, but in the name of peace and unity on the eve of the WCs, I will be so boring that you won't have the energy to argue.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Wow....TrackShark versus Track & Field News, best 2 outta 3, cage match, no holds brawl.

Why is there this assumption that it's anyone or anybody, against another?
    Maybe cause Dad said so?

gh wrote:

Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies. You do not.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Wow....TrackShark versus Track & Field News, best 2 outta 3, cage match, no holds brawl.

Why is there this assumption that it's anyone or anybody, against another?

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by mojo
    If anything long time members has been very toleratant of the many annoying, combative and uninformative threads that have proliferated the board of late.
    Then just ignore the lot of them. And only post and read the threads where the noise level is low.......... Ah, but you don't like cross country?
    I do ignore them.

My main point is that it is not the old guard causing trouble and bashing the newbies. I believe that some, but not all, of the newbies came here looking for a fight. THEN yes some oldies took the bait.

To say that the old guard "thinks it has a right to trash the newbies" is wrong and an insult to the posters who have been very loyal to this board.
    It's a war between the smacktalkers and the intellectual discussers. Those two camps never mesh.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    guru, sometimes methinks you get too upset and take things too personally.
    Then you'd think wrong.
    But mojo, marknhj, imaginative, 2 cents, and myself all appreciate your insights on the matter.
    It's not about taking anything seriously or not; it's a simple recognition of how things are. The Old Guard actually welcomes the New Blood , but it is the tone, civility, and standard of discourse here that sets it apart. No one like visiting a place that's been trashed. I don't think that's being 'snooty' (altho I am rather enamored with the image of the old librarian with hair in a bun shushing the kids), just civil.
    As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Then you'd think wrong.
    But mojo, marknhj, imaginative, 2 cents, and myself all appreciate your insights on the matter.
    It's not about taking anything seriously or not; it's a simple recognition of how things are. The Old Guard actually welcomes the New Blood , but it is the tone, civility, and standard of discourse here that sets it apart. No one like visiting a place that's been trashed. I don't think that's being 'snooty' (altho I am rather enamored with the image of the old librarian with hair in a bun shushing the kids), just civil.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

Then you'd think wrong.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    guru, sometimes methinks you get too upset and take things too personally. Ease up.

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    Eldrick!!!!!!!!!!!

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried about you man, where've you been?

Just in time for World's fortunately. Welcome back man!

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    another site used to have immense more amounts of traffic than this one

it's no longer in existence...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    But, I do understand it's your board and your business needs high traffic more than anything......
    Obviously, traffic is not an issue, or I wouldn't have made the "if we only have a half-dozen posters" bit of hyperbole.

If we were about increasing traffic, we'd go with the wild-wild-west protocols that have made letsrun such a valued commodity.

Ben started this thread for one reason and one reason only: to get people to stop fanning the flames of bickering and to get back to talking about the sport itself. And in the process he has been wielding a far bigger club than I ever have in booting undesirables. As he said, it will continue until people settle down.

Thanks for your understanding.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Different strokes for different folks. I have a feeling the TS crowd was a younger demographic, with a different approach and different desires.

Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but if you don't enjoy it, it is tough to just step aside to avoid getting trampled. It's a tough adjustment period for both groups.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    If you have a problem with a specific post or poster, so say (politely). Don't make huge generalities.

Like this?

Originally posted by gh
    Much (most?) of the trouble that's being caused here is by (too many) members of the old guard who seem to think they have a right to trash the newbies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X