This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP Stars excl from Berlin? [no]

I expect the likes of Asafa, SAF and Walker will compete in Berlin but there must be another way to collar Stephen Francis and slap him across the face.

Aris is a fair & thoughtful man, if they are excluded I expect that will be the right thing. Its important that MVP is not seen to hold the JAAA at ransom - there must be discipline.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/h ... _OUT__.asp

see end of this thread

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... 708#577708

Comment

Just saw the article reporting that Asafa, SAF, Sherika Williams and Brigitte Hylton-Foster are OUT of the World Championships because they failed to attend mandatory pre-champ camp.

If this is true, bravo to the JAAA for standing up to these high-profile athletes and their handlers. Too often we see these top athletes doing whatever they want and this will teach them all a lesson. That being said how much what that pull the excitement out of some of the events in Berlin?

We have all written off Asafa for a medal (until he shows us otherwise). But I'm sure we all wanted to see how he would do this time around. Plus his inclusion in the 4x100m was key for Jamaica. If he doesn't run, we won't have the top Jamaican team against the best America can throw at them.

SAF is the top female sprinter in the world and if would be a darn shame not to have her run in the final and in the relay. Same thing, without SAF the Jamaican relay team isn't nearly as strong and takes a little excitement out of the race. Both Williams and Foster-Hylton could win medals in their events, so that would be a blow to the team's total medal count.

I have a hard time believing that after this doping fiasco that JAAA would atually get this right and keep these yahoos at home. We will see how this develops as we get closer to Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
        If this is true, bravo to the JAAA for standing up to these high-profile athletes and their handlers.
        In all of this, has it been assertained as to whether or not MVP and its athletes were properly notified in wiriting that camp attendance was mandatory? The Observer has been chasing this story for three days now and has not been able to prove that such a document exists.
        Regards,
        toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
          If this is true, bravo to the JAAA for standing up to these high-profile athletes and their handlers. Too often we see these top athletes doing whatever they want and this will teach them all a lesson.
          People criticize Athletics Kenya for forcing athletes to abandon their personal coaches and train in the team camp prior to World Cross, but it's ok when Jamaica does it?

Comment

Hmmm???

Two years in a row now huh???

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
              Hmmm???

JB you know it would not be a good championship for jamaica with out the MVP(Francis) vs JAAA.Its becoming tradition.
              For the record,MVP was ask about the champ location before it was selected. And pass the location.

Comment

Originally posted by JROCK
                Hmmm???

JB you know it would not be a good championship for jamaica with out the MVP(Francis) vs JAAA.Its becoming tradition.
                For the record,MVP was ask about the champ location before it was selected. And pass the location.
                The JAAA didnt become anti Francis until last year when Bolt started blazing the track. Before that Francis and MVP had JAAA eating from the palms of their hand.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                  Hmmm???

The JAAA didnt become anti Francis until last year when Bolt started blazing the track. Before that Francis and MVP had JAAA eating from the palms of their hand.
                  ..MVP had been sticking it to the JAAA for sometime now... its like a repeatedely raped wife, with a knife and a napping spouse ..sort of! as I said elsewhere with JA well represented by Bolt, Ver & stewart there is never a better time for the JAAA to set some standards! JA public will be forgiving, ppl want to see some government here!

I suspect the compromise will be for them to get there arse in Berlin by wedn am or else !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                    Hmmm???

Not entirely true. Last year there was some amount of intervention on the part of the Ministry of Sports. This now would have been the straw the breaks the camel's back.

Franno and JAAA have been at odds for years so this is not a new development.

There was also the issue with regards to the fact that the JAAA had assured the IAAF that the athletes would have been available for testing during the camp dates Aug 6-11. The MVP athletes who had been randomly selected were not there.
                    And finally, if there was no correspondence between MVP and the JAAA about the camp, how come all the other athletes, including MVP athletes were aware of the camp and attended?
                    And its not a matter of abandoning their coaches. Nothing prevents Franno from being in the camp and handling his athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by shearer39
                      Nothing prevents Franno from being in the camp and handling his athletes.
                      You sure Franno would still have complete control over his athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here
                        Nothing prevents Franno from being in the camp and handling his athletes.
                        You sure Franno would still have complete control over his athletes?
                        i am sure he would,persons from the JAAA may just view there preparations to see if all is well(in terms of health).

Comment

And finally, if there was no correspondence between MVP and the JAAA about the camp, how come all the other athletes, including MVP athletes were aware of the camp and attended?
                          No one has said that there was no correspondence. What is being questioned is what was communicated through that correpondence. Paul Doyle is now on record saying that he wrote asking if attendance was mandatory, and that he received no reply. One can safely presume that if he had receoved a document stating that attendance was mandatory he would not have written to ask if it was, and having received no reply he, and by extension the athletes he represents, cannot be held to fault.

This is similar to the case with Sheri-Ann Brooks who did not receive written notification of the Date, Time and Place of her B sample test; if it is not in writing it is not official.

If such a document exists and can be produced, then MVP/Doyle/the athletes can be faulted. If it does not exist then they in effect were never notified.
                          Regards,
                          toyracer

Comment

It seems that the Jamaican track and field powers that be are determined to take the program (and its reputation) from the highest peak to the lowest of the lows in one fell swoop. I am completely befuddled how history can repeat itself within a year.

Last year in Bejing, we had this fiasco with training camp, and here we are again like clock work, at it again. I don't know how culpable Steve Francis is (this time), be he seems to be the common denominator in this national (and soon to be global) farce.

Put me down as one of those who believe the time is right (yes, I know it seems convienient, with the emergence of Bolt and Kerron) to dump the entire MVP squad and send a message to Steve Francis and his management crew at MVP, that their days of holding tho country hostage is over.

It is a complete mystery to me (and I suspect the world) as to why Asafa, SAF and others remain with that dysfunctional athletics camp.

Considering the farce/embarrasment in 2000 in Australia, last year in Bejing and now this, Jamaica (OK SOME Jamaicans) has perfected the art of getting attention for reasons that are Good, Bad and Ugly.

Comment

All this leaves me to question what procedure the JAAA has in place when athletes compete @ the National Championships. I mean, USATF has a sign-up location and specifies those who finish in the team qualifying spots to sign up for the specific national team in play.

Those procedures in making the team (in terms of attending the required training camp & the like) are spell'd out. Not to mention, members of the national team coaching/management/national office staff are on hand to answer any questions or clarify things for potential team members.

Doesn't the JAAA have something similar in place to prevent this type of lightening from striking twice? :?

The other thing may be for the JAAA to take the word 'amatuer' out of its name. B/C the way things have been handled as of late is definitely amatuer.

Comment

Working...
                              X