Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶'09 WC mLJ: Dwight Phillips (US) 28-¼ (8.54)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cacique
    totally agree with you. i was going to comment on the issue of consistency, imagine if field events were not decided by your biggest mark but by your top 3 or 4 or even 6 marks? no one would beat phillips (well, except that one time...). all his jumps are so consistently great.
    Well, the WR would belong to Lewis, as his WC sequence is unparalleled. Of course, the wind thing would get complicated and need something like is now used in the Multis (average wind reading, etc.).

Comment

Nice Article on Phillips, ComeBack & Jesse Owens heritag

Sun Devil website included a nice article on the WC LJ along with an in-depth interview with Dwight Phillips.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/art ... track.html

Here's a brief excerpt from the Ariz Republic:

Phillips' victory Saturday was extra sweet because of the setting - the same stadium in which Jesse Owens won four Olympic medals, including the long jump, at the 1936 Berlin Games.

"It was just unbelievable knowing that I was in the same place that such a historical person, that a great icon for humanity competed at," Phillips said. "When I left my room this morning, I didn't want to disappoint anybody. I wanted to bring the USA gold back and I'm happy I did."

Owens' granddaughter, Marlene Hemphill Dortch, was in attendance Saturday, sitting in the same box in which Adolf Hitler watched the 1936 Games.

At the medal ceremony for the long jump, Dortch placed the gold around Phillips' neck and hugged him.

"That's just history looking at me in the face," he said. "I was so honored."

Comment

One of my very few contest winners - Irving just didn't have it this year. I'll eat my pc if Dwight ever comes near 29 feet though - snowball in hell's chance!

Kudos to Mokoena - exciting jumper, can get better.

Bayer? I remain a fan, but in spite of Torino you have to say it wasn't a good season.

Much, much more importantly - he is still the most handsome man by a mile in t&f - forget your Norwegian JTers and your Frech PVers - this is the hunk.

Comment

Originally posted by rumbleyoungmanrumble
          One of my very few contest winners - Irving just didn't have it this year. I'll eat my pc if Dwight ever comes near 29 feet though - snowball in hell's chance!
          He has already been 'near'; how did that pc taste? :wink:

Comment

just re-watched my tape of the NBC coverage. no one seemed to comment here on watt's last jump, that landed way over the 8.50 m mark (but a foul)???? how old is this child? very exciting prospect there.

Comment

Working...
            X