Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, well... Obviously I was hoping for gold, but I can't be too disappointed with Majewski throwing 21.91. Kudos to Cantwell for delivering it when it mattered.

Majewski has still made major progress since last year. He won in Beijing because he had the greatest day of his career to date AND the Americans choked. This year, he showed he can compete with the US throwers even when they are at their best. He might not win everything, but I see a few more years of consistent podium finishes (with another gold or two in there) for him.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

German TV has 90 cameras in the stadium, they announce that the TV ratings will be important in their decision how much to show of athletics in future. today is the first day, we get soccer until eight o'clock then the big final and ... they miss Bartels' throw!!! They show Sack after his third foul and then suddenly, oh god, Bartels has thrown already, it was a great throw, he was too fast blabla :evil: :evil: :evil:
      The amazing thing is that they managed to miss in exactly the same way one of his previous attempts which makes it all the way more inexcusable.
      This aside it's a very much welcome start for the hosts in an absolutely rousing competition. Majewski is after all still behind in his PB's compared to Cantwell and Nelson, so he can't assume that they aren't always able to knock him down.

Comment

That's why I watch Eurosport. ARD and ZDF are unbearable.

On topic: Great performance by Bartels. A medal for the hosting nation should be good for the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaCruz
          That's why I watch Eurosport. ARD and ZDF are unbearable.

On topic: Great performance by Bartels. A medal for the hosting nation should be good for the atmosphere.
          Oh yeah....the German crowd went nuts, first when Bartels uncorked his big toss and then when Hoffa came up short on his final throw. I was happy for them, though I would have loved to see Hoffa grab a podium position. I remember how sad it was for the Canadians in Edmonton when not one of their athletes medaled.

Comment

I hope so. The stadium was nowhere close to full tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinafan
              German TV has 90 cameras in the stadium, they announce that the TV ratings will be important in their decision how much to show of athletics in future. today is the first day, we get soccer until eight o'clock then the big final and ... they miss Bartels' throw!!! They show Sack after his third foul and then suddenly, oh god, Bartels has thrown already, it was a great throw, he was too fast blabla :evil: :evil: :evil:
              The amazing thing is that they managed to miss in exactly the same way one of his previous attempts which makes it all the way more inexcusable.
              This aside it's a very much welcome start for the hosts in an absolutely rousing competition. Majewski is after all still behind in his PB's compared to Cantwell and Nelson, so he can't assume that they aren't always able to knock him down.
              It was pretty bad and sad actually.

I was watching Eurosport most of the day, but when I didn't I caught about 588 subliminal doping allegations and three or four reports on Bolt, of course all about his showmanship and "unbelievable" performances. While I wasn't always in favor of shutting down dope talk immediately like gh does, I have come to accept it and definitely prefer it to allegations without concrete evidence, much better than what the German media has been doing ever since the countless cycling doping affairs. It has spilled over to other sports and become downright unbearable.

There is no optimal way to handle this, but the current rules in place on this site are acceptable and help you turn your focus on the actual sport. As long as there is no clear evidence or proves, you should not have an agenda like the German sports media.

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
                They better start handing out some tickets for free because they are simply too damn expensive for a lot of people in the current economy. There were reports before the WCHs that maybe there would be some empty seats, but only 42500 spectators during the evening is disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                  I remember how sad it was for the Canadians in Edmonton when not one of their athletes medaled.
                  I had forgotten that.

Thanks for the reminder. :cry:

You know it probably wasn't that sad for most people-as long as we win in hockey the country doesn't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

thank god for cantwell !!!
                    Why?
                    You can't take when a "glider" wins? :?

Comment

All I can say is YAY for CC!! I've been a fan for a long time, and really did think that sooner or later he'd come through in a global (outdoor) champs. Good on the big guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen

Why?
                        Huge men - no turns....Wave of the future, or back to the past?

Comment

Re: Armstrong

Originally posted by Tvarish
                          Originally posted by bushop
                          IMO Armstrong is ranked too low. I think this will be his medal meet along with a new Canadian record. He PBed in Beijing and will do it again in Berlin.

gold: Majewski - 21.56m
                          silver: Armstrong - .21.30m
                          bronze: Cantwell - 21.19m
                          You must be Canadian!!!
                          No . . . just a communist.

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                            Originally posted by bhall
                            They better start handing out some tickets for free because they are simply too damn expensive for a lot of people in the current economy. There were reports before the WCHs that maybe there would be some empty seats, but only 42500 spectators during the evening is disappointing.
                            Tonight should be the real test. There was surely a higher percentage of people in the upper-level "cheap" seats. The lower bowl seemed less than 1/2 full in the fan areas (I'm not counting press, VIP or athlete areas). At 365 Euros for the "cheapest" season seats, it's easy to understand the effects of the economic downturn. One could certainly see it in Eugene, where the best seats were only $100 for the WC qualitying, yet plenty of seats were available each day (despite the fact that we still set a USA Championship attendance record).

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen

Why?
                              i haven't even bothered noting their style since baryshnikov over 30y ago

from what i vaguely recall from ole articles, the physics involved indicates rotational throwers can throw further than ole style

only a fool doesn't use it...

Comment

Always interesting when reality meets theory. I'd like to be a OG Gold and WC Silver "fool." I'm sure Majewski can't sleep at night knowing he's failed so miserably in life.

Comment

Working...
                                X