Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do some numerical-based world rankings; the system is a very much a "work-in-progress" that will become much better in a year. Nonetheless, I thought I'd let you know how the shot putters stand right now. I don't think it looks too much different from what the World Rankings committee might decide if the season ended today.

1. Christian Cantwell (USA)
    2. Tomasz Majewski (POL)
    3. Reese Hoffa (USA)
    4. Dan Taylor (USA)
    5. Adam Nelson (USA)
    6. Ralf Bartels (GER)
    7. Andrei Mikhnevich (BLR)
    8. Dylan Armstrong (CAN)
    9. Pavel Sofyin (RUS)
    10. Dorian Scott (JAM)

Majewski and Hoffa are so close that if Hoffa had medaled yeterday, he'd be at #2. So far as I know, their head-to-head record this year is 4-2 in favor of the American.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreambrother
      it was Nelson in '05, Hoffa in '07, so now i guess... :wink:

1. Cantwell 22.16 (if he gets one of his huge throws in)
      2. Majewski 22.06
      3. Hoffa 21.47
      I was pretty close with my prediction. Great to see 22m being finally broken in important competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mighty Favog
        I do some numerical-based world rankings; the system is a very much a "work-in-progress" that will become much better in a year. Nonetheless, I thought I'd let you know how the shot putters stand right now. I don't think it looks too much different from what the World Rankings committee might decide if the season ended today......
        The only thing that "leaps" out at me is that I suspect Nelson would have to be ahead of Taylor. Not making the WC final is a big hole in the latter's record.

Comment

• Showing the Medal Ceremony LIVE now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes
            Showing the Medal Ceremony LIVE now.
            It sure looks like they got little paper IOUs around their necks! :shock:

Comment

• Originally posted by IFK_Vaxjo
              Dan Taylor out of the final!
              Originally posted by IFK_Vaxjo
              And no Dylan Armstrong Fouled the last attempt which was long enough.
              Interesting to see two athletes that trained Arizona (Taylor switched coaches, Armstrong spent many weeks being coached long distance from Kamloops) failed to get out of shot put qualifying. Nothing against the 48th state ... just another curious situation similar to Wariner's 2008 season.

Comment

• If he doesn't ever throw 22m and keeps winning medals at major champs he'll still be called a legend. The sport is about competition. There's a long list of people who have thrown and jumped far or run fast but never won medals. We remember the champions. You may personally have some arbitrary 22m line in the sand for legends. Most people draw that line in gold, silver, or bronze.
                Olympic gold medals last forever, WRs are eventually all broken.

Comment

• forgive me, but i can't remember the guys who won gold in '04 & '00 or '92 off the top of my head ( & i like this event ) - unfortunately their gold medal wins didn't leave an indelible everlasting memory such that i can instantaneously recall their names ( i know one was a finn but i can't recall if it was '00 or '04 )

i can recall last 5 guys who broke the wr instantly

sometimes you have to do something more than just the gold for legend status...

Comment

• GB has just protested the performance of Christian Cantwell for failing to protect Dinnesdale from Spiny Norman.

Comment

• Re: ¶'09 WC mSP: Christian Cantwell 72-3½ (22.03) WL

Originally posted by bhall
                      THE FORMCHART
                      1. Tadeusz Majewski (Poland) .........21.51 .......72-¼ (’09)
                      2. Reese Hoffa (USA) .......................22.43 .......73-7¼ (’07)
                      3. Christian Cantwell (USA) ............22.54.....73-11½ (’04)
                      4. Andrey Mikhnevich (Belarus) .....22.00 .......72-2¼ (’08)
                      5. Adam Nelson (USA) .....................22.51.....73-10¼ (’02)
                      6. Dan Taylor (USA) ..........................21.78 .......71-5½ (’09)
                      7. Dylan Armstrong (Canada) .........21.04 .......69-¼ (’08)
                      8. Dorian Scott (Jamaica) ................21.45 .......70-4½ (’08)
                      As we start to gear up for the World Rankings, I note that Scott didn't throw after Stockholm on July 30. But I don't find that anybody ever mentioned his name on the boards. Any idea what happened?

Comment

• Scott tore his Achilles in Stockholm. Needed surgery.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/h ... FORM=ZZNR2

Comment

Working...
                        X