Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cacique
    replied
    just read the front page telegraph linked article about his coach being one of the former DDR dope-meisters... can't people find better coaches these days?

http://tinyurl.com/nrktfp

Leave a comment:

• Alexm
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    can this boy ever keep his shirt on? didn't he rip it off at the end in beijing too? sheesh...
    Fine by me! He looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Rog
    replied
    Great competition, from what I saw of it - BBC only showed a few throws, they were too busy concentrating on inane chatter. Kudos to Harting and Malachowski for great achievements and entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    the harting controversy was on the front page (of this website), can someone provide a link?

can this boy ever keep his shirt on? didn't he rip it off at the end in beijing too? sheesh...

Leave a comment:

• Highland
    replied
    I can't remember a time when the top two discus finishers in a major championship (Europeans, worlds, Olympics) both got personal bests. I don't think it's happened in the last 40 years.

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    Originally posted by 3a
    Anyone feel a Harting Fairytale coming on?
    and in the last round...... :lol:

Finally, a decent prediction. 8-)

Leave a comment:

• Kai88
    replied
    Wow thanks for that Sinafan i had no idea about any of that about Harting.
    Having looked at his personal website i knew he was a bit of a character but did not realise he was so controversial....

Keep us updated of what happens regarding him and his coach.

I was always quite a fan and thought he was really going to spice the discus up in the future what with Alekna on the way out...

Leave a comment:

• Sinafan
    replied
    You all don't know about the ballyhoo around Harting. He gave a highly controversial interview suggesting that the fight against doping is ineffectual and they might just as well drop it. He apologized then he attacked the DLV president and all the big functionaries for doing nothing for the sport. Finally he launched yesterday an attack against an Anti-Doping organization of those athletes who were recognized by the state as casualties of GDR doping and hand out paper glasses on which it is written "I don't want to see that (the WC)". Incredibly he said that he hopes his discus hits their glasses so that they don't see anything.
    He had to apologize for that, too. There will be a press conference tomorrow and the DLV will discuss disciplinary measures against him. A considerable part of athletic supporters even suggested to withdraw him today.
    Adding to the whole story is the fact that his coach Werner Goldmann is one of the GDR ciaches who participated in the doping system and signed a declaration which says the opposite in order to get to Beijing last year. So he was fired by the DLV and Harting considered retirement in April. Finally Goldmann wrote an apology and was reinstated though the doping victims critizised the text as not sufficient.
    So there's a lot going on around Harting and there are enough German fans who wished Malachowski the win and harting no medal at all. He's a very difficult person, but obviously a towering competitor.

Goodbye, I'm off to Berlin .

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    69.15 is the second longest losing throw in a major championship ever, behind Alekna's 69.40 in Edmonton.

Leave a comment:

• SantaCruz
    replied
    Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    I'm pretty sure 69.43 is not NR, though. :wink:
    Not even close. German NR is 74,08 m by Jürgen Schult.

PR for Harting though.

Leave a comment:

• Neville L.
    replied
    Indeed it isn't a NR. Jürgen Schult still has the NR and WR. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    What a blast. One thing we know- the Germans came to play.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    I'm pretty sure 69.43 is not NR, though. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Yo, Wolfgang!

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by AS
    His celebration was fantastic. Tipping the Mascot over his shoulder was a great move...
    Agreed.

Versus Network sticking with their U.S. tactics? womp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X