• Diego Sahagún
    replied
    Re: Newbie here

Gracias jhc68... BTW, the message to kuha is also for you

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

You and all Spaniards have a lot of sympathy and support from average Americans. My wife and I have been on those commuter trains in and out of Atocha many times. The idea of so many people minding their own business jammed into an explosive container is horrific and repugnant. Many of us here feel as Spaniards do, that, in a very real sense we were all on those trains. All of us on this message board are glad to know that you are alright and saddened that your friend is missing. Please let us know what we can do to help in some substantive way.

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied

Thanks to all for the support!!!! My family, my friends and me are fine. A friend of a friend of mine (also highjumper) has been killed in the attacks and they can't find his body... It was horrible :-(

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied

Yes kuha, it's a very nice museum

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

What the US media has been playing down is the Spanish Government's insistance that ETA and not Al Qaeda is behind the bombing. A stance, according to the BBC, that is not doing well with the Spanish population.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

As much as I hate to do it, I have to defend the US media. It's my perception that this horrible event has received extensive and deserved coverage here--no one can imply that the US media is ignoring or downplaying it.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

Ironically, this is almost 911 (actually 912) days after the September 11, 2001 attack.

I'm a bit surprised that this shocking and tragic event has not received more coverage by the US television. We would rather cover ridiculous scandals and have reality TV shows, pretending that the rest of the world doesn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I, also, add my heartfelt sympathies and good wishes.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Now it seems that Al Qaeda is claiming resposibility. Horrible, regardless who the assholes are.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Trully awful incident. When the Brit team competed in the Basque region we were always surrounded by dozens of police with fully automated weapons. The ETA were in cohorts with the IRA in those days.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Yes, the events in Madrid are horrible. Apparently one train was in the vicinity of Atocha Station, which is literally across the boulevard from the Prado Museum. And I agree, the Prado is the best art museum on earth for paintings (Velasquez, Goya, Bosch, and the Guernica mural nearby). The relatively small size of the building and the accessibility to the art makes it a great experience. And amazing parks adjoining and just down the street... perfect places for a beautiful run. The idea of wholesale bloodshed in such a wonderful area is doubly rupugnant. Anyway, we all are hoping that Diego and his family and friends are safe.

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

I was thinking the same thing. Let's hear from you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X