X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2009 WC w800: Caster Semenya (South Africa) 1:55.45

THE FORMCHART
    1. Pamela Jelimo (Kenya) ................1:54.01 (’08)
    2. Hasna Benhassi (Morocco) .........1:56.43 (’04)
    3. Janeth Jepkosgei (Kenya) ...........1:56.04 (’07)
    4. Caster Semenya (South Africa) ...1:56.72 (’09)
    5. Maggie Vessey (USA) .................. 1:57.84 (’09)
    6. Mariya Savinova (Russia) ............1:57.90 (’09)
    7. Elisa Cusma Piccione (Italy) ........1:58.63 (’07)
    8. Svetlana Klyuka (Russia) .............1:56.65 (’08)
    9. Yelena Kofanova (Russia) ............1:58.60 (’09)
    10. Jemma Simpson (Gr Britain) .....1:59.17 (’08)

Jelimo!
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Re: 2009 WC: w800

Originally posted by bhall
      THE FORMCHART
      1. Pamela Jelimo (Kenya) ................1:54.01 (’08)
      2. Hasna Benhassi (Morocco) .........1:56.43 (’04)
      3. Janeth Jepkosgei (Kenya) ...........1:56.04 (’07)
      4. Caster Semenya (South Africa) ...1:56.72 (’09)
      5. Maggie Vessey (USA) .................. 1:57.84 (’09)
      6. Mariya Savinova (Russia) ............1:57.90 (’09)
      7. Elisa Cusma Piccione (Italy) ........1:58.63 (’07)
      8. Svetlana Klyuka (Russia) .............1:56.65 (’08)
      9. Yelena Kofanova (Russia) ............1:58.60 (’09)
      10. Jemma Simpson (Gr Britain) .....1:59.17 (’08)
      A fascinating event because of the inexperience of Vessey and Semenya, the uncertain condition of Jelimo and Jepkosgei and the tactical savvy of several-time medalist Benhassi.
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank
      Woodland, CA

Comment

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Vessey has received any shoe contracts or sponsorship. She certainly deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by jpaule
          Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Vessey has received any shoe contracts or sponsorship. She certainly deserves it.
          I don't know. However, in a June 15 interview on RunnersWorld's Web site, she commented that -- as of that day -- she did not have sponsorship, but that her agent was working on it. By the time of the Monaco race she was clearly in New Balance gear (to contrast -- in glancing back at photos of the Pre Classic, I could not clearly identify what brand of gear she was wearing). So, maybe she's w NB now?

Comment

I can confirm that she's with New Balance...though I will keep mum about my sources!

Comment

Originally posted by gadlor
              I can confirm that she's with New Balance...though I will keep mum about my sources!
              Ray Flynn seems to be a pretty reliable source.
              http://www.floblogs.com/members/maggievessey

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                Ray Flynn seems to be a pretty reliable source.
                http://www.floblogs.com/members/maggievessey
                That's great that someone is rewarding her for her hard work. Without injuries, proper training, better tactics, and now some financial support, she could be a force for the next few years.

Comment

Vessey finances

"now some financial support, she could be a force for the nest few years."

True. And, not to be overlooked, Ms. Vessey is gathering cash rewards for her multiple summer races abroad in the rewarding Grand Prix circuit which has a few more meets scheduled, e.g. Rieti.

Further, IAAF has her top-listed for w800m in the "World Athletics Final on September 13 at Thessaloniki with its finals-only (no heats) format that creates a payday for all eight runners. Some of her peers may not be there as a consequence of their not running enough races in the higher-scoring portion of World Athletics Tour.

And, of course, there is good money awaiting W800m finalists at Berlin although its multiple rounds can be depleting.

Comment

Re: Vessey finances

Is it just my imagination running amok (yet again), or is there anyone else here who thinks Maggie Vessey might just barely get Jearl Miles-Clark's AR (1:56.40), and quite probably with negative splits? You know how she likes to run from the back, like Borzakovskiy and Symmonds.

Comment

Is it just my imagination running amok (yet again), or is there anyone else here who thinks Maggie Vessey might just barely get Jearl Miles-Clark's AR (1:56.40), and quite probably with negative splits? You know how she likes to run from the back, like Borzakovskiy and Symmonds.
                      She looked like she had something left in the tank in her 1:57+.

Comment

But probably not in Berlin...with 2 rounds before the final. Maybe in Reiti...

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                          You know how she likes to run from the back, like Borzakovskiy and Symmonds.
                          I'm hoping that that's a thing of the past, as it seems to be with both of the other guys.

Comment

wait, jamal is entered in the 800?

Comment

where have you seen she is entered? Has the start lists been published yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X