• Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: USATF To Let Fans Vote On Big Moments

bump

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I don't know when TAC was founded/named in 1979, but the '79 meet was the last AAU and '80 was the first TAC. Both at Walnut. I have no idea about indoors or XC. I do have programs from both meets (somewhere). I did look at the ATFS annual to see if my memory was correct, and they agree.

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied

OK, now the voting link is up and clearly visible . . . You can vote for 5 of the selections, with voting continuing through June 20.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

My steel-trap memory must be failing me. Someone, get me a TAFN and tell me what org governed the 1978 TAC?

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>* The Athletics Congress (TAC), later renamed USA
    >>Track & Field, holds its first Annual Meeting as >the national governing body
    >of the sport in the >U.S. in December, 1979. The event is the sport's >first
    >independent of the Amateur Athletic Union. At >the meeting, a unanimous vote
    >calls for the repeal >of amateur eligibility requirements.

Let me get this straight, the TAC was formed in 1979? that would come to quite a surprise to many of us who competed in the first TAC championships in 1978!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied

Seems like they should have withheld the press release until the web voting was ready . . . or am I blind and unable to see the link at usatf.org?

Leave a comment:

• madsci
    replied

A little imagination, please. While an important "inside baseball" moment, including the following won't do a thing to fire up SPORTS FANS about track and make them understand the sport is worth watching. The self-serving Spike item is beneath discussion.

>* The Athletics Congress (TAC), later renamed USA >Track & Field, holds its first Annual Meeting as >the national governing body of the sport in the >U.S. in December, 1979. The event is the sport's >first independent of the Amateur Athletic Union. At >the meeting, a unanimous vote calls for the repeal >of amateur eligibility requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied

If USATF gets decertified by the USOC, maybe that could replace Spike on the list.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

And this one has got to be everyone's favourite:

>* Spike named the new
    >USATF mascot in 2002.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

* Edwin Moses wins 122 consecutive
    >races, including 107 finals. The streak lasts nine years, nine months and nine
    >days, spanning from 1977 to 1987. After his first loss in almost 10 years, he
    >goes on to win 10 more consecutive races, including the 1987 World
    >Championships title.

Erm... isn't this stretching the definition of 'moment' a bit too much ? 9 years sounds like a pretty long moment to me :-D

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied

Duh. I guess reading things in whole is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>So Powell's breaking of Beamon's WR is a nominee, but Beamon's jump itself it
    >not?>>

It's marks since the track federation became separate from the AAU: only since 1979.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

>Hard to pick.... great moments indeed. I just may go with Spike though...

Oh, COME ON ... Garry, did you add the Spike item just for grins?

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied

So Powell's breaking of Beamon's WR is a nominee, but Beamon's jump itself it not?

Also, * In 1995, at age 48, Philippa Raschker makes a statement as a trailblazer by placing third in the women’s pole vault at the USA Outdoor Championships, behind future Olympic gold medalist Stacy Dragila.

What? One of the top-25 events in US Track and Field History? Come on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X