• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF adopts no-false-start rule

For Immediate Release
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009

IAAF adopts "no false start" rule beginning in 2010
     BERLIN - The IAAF Congress on Wednesday approved a new rule that will disqualify athletes the first time they false start in any given race. The rule will take effect January 1, 2010.

The rule will replace the current false-start policy of the first false-start being charged to the entire field, with only subsequent false-starts resulting in disqualification. Implementation is set for 2010 in order to enable athletes to become accustomed to the rule well ahead of the 2011 IAAF World Outdoor Championships in Daegu, South Korea.

Speaking in support of the rule change, IAAF President Lamine Diack pointed to the NCAA's longstanding no false start rule as evidence that such a rule is practical and enforceable. He stated his belief that "the current rule gives sprinters the chance to play the system," he said, "to deliberately false start but not be punished for it." 

The rule change was approved by a vote of 97 to 55, with six abstentions. The IAAF Congress on Wednesday also approved defining masters as age 40 and over for long-distance running and road racing.

The IAAF Congress is being held in Berlin prior to the start of the 12th IAAF World Outdoor Championships, which begin Saturday and conclude August 23.

For more information on the World Championships, visit www.usatf.org

About USA Track & Field

USA Track & Field (USATF) is the National Governing Body for track and field, long-distance running and race walking in the United States. USATF encompasses the world's oldest organized sports, some of the most-watched events of Olympic broadcasts, the #1 high school and junior high school participatory sport and more than 30 million adult runners in the United States.

For more information on USATF, visit www.usatf.org

# # #

in regards to the sprints, does this mean everyone being cautious and having slower reaction times?

Comment

Well, I guess the only thing worse than the no-false-start rule is the rule currently in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon18
        in regards to the sprints, does this mean everyone being cautious and having slower reaction times?
        I would think the opposite. Now no one has to worry about some idiot jumping, and everyone can focus on just getting a good start.

Comment

No second chance for a flinch.

This could get messy.
          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

This could get messy.
            I've had mixed feelings about this rule. During the women's 100m final in Bejing there was a runner from the US ( I can't remember her name to save my life) who clearly moved (this was more than a "flinch") and the race was not called back. Now it is possible that one could flinch while the pressure on the starting blocks remain within the allowable limits.

But I agree, things could get messy, especially if some big names sprinters are being thrown out.

I bet Leonard Scott bust be very distraught over this change.

Comment

Logan voted no.

http://twitter.com/DougLoganUSATF/status/3265981161
              There are no strings on me

Comment

About fricken time. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by rabalac

This could get messy.
                  I've had mixed feelings about this rule. During the women's 100m final in Bejing there was a runner from the US ( I can't remember her name to save my life) who clearly moved (this was more than a "flinch") and the race was not called back. Now it is possible that one could flinch while the pressure on the starting blocks remain within the allowable limits.

But I agree, things could get messy, especially if some big names sprinters are being thrown out.

I bet Leonard Scott bust be very distraught over this change.
                  I believe it was Torri Edwards who flinched. Muna Lee, who was next to her I believe, said she thought it was a false start. But it wasnt called and she was caught rocking back in the blocks.

There'll need to be a video review of some starts before people are disqualified.

But we agree....either way it will be messy.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by rabalac

This could get messy.

I see with you, it seems to me there will have to be some adjustment into separating flinches in the blocks from outright " jumps". I hate to see a guy thrown out for not keeping steady, this just so that the "false start/flinch meter" won't be triggered, because logically a flinch is not a false start..

Comment

About the only new rule change at the European Team Championships that actually worked. All the races got off fine.
                      In time people will get used to it, and in a few years it will seem the norm and we will all wonder why it wasn't implemented long before.

Comment

Agreed. No false starts at all in Leiria.
                        Bad news for Marcel van der Westen and Gregory Sedoc though!

Comment

I believe it was Torri Edwards who flinched. Muna Lee, who was next to her I believe, said she thought it was a false start. But it wasnt called and she was caught rocking back in the blocks.
                          That would be a faulty start not a false start so even under the new rule I assume no one would get disqualified.

Comment

...but then again athletes are allowed to indicate if they feel uneasy.

So raises a parallel issue: that's where the curruption (my choice of strong word) of T.V. interests come into play. In the eventuallity all8 persons indicate that would do even more damage to T.V ad time than the original rule and TV guys would then seek to have even indications of uneasy be banned.

Comment

Everybody focuses on the effect of the sprints, but I wish at least the new rule were limited to races run in lanes. It is pretty stupid to dq somebody in the 10,000 meter or marathon because they accidently jumped the start.

Comment

Working...
                              X