Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radcliffe to run NY half marathon THIS weekend...!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radcliffe to run NY half marathon THIS weekend...!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... GUQr7Yht_Q

Women's marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe is to run in this weekend's NYC Half-Marathon. Radcliffe said she would use Sunday's race to gauge her readiness for the IAAF World Championships in Berlin following bunion surgery on her right foot in March.

"Recently, my training has started to go very well. I'm definitely ready to run a half-marathon, and the NYC Half-Marathon will give me important feedback about where I am," Radcliffe said. "After the race in New York, I will consult with my coaching and medical teams and we will make the final determination as to whether I am ready to run the marathon in Berlin. It is certainly my hope to compete there."
    Talk about cutting it fine and not leaving much time for a recovery!!

Be still my beating heart!

Comment

Reading the headline alone was enough to make me feel nervous!! I thought it must've been an old thread! Guess a lot of questions will be answered in a short space of time...

Comment

She's done something similar before. Cant remember the exact details but it was a race the week before the NY marathon, if memory serves.
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          She's done something similar before. Cant remember the exact details but it was a race the week before the NY marathon, if memory serves.
          You're right. She ran (and won) the Great South Run 10-miler six days before the New York Marathon last year.

She also ran the 10,000m at the Helsinki World Champs eight days before the marathon.

I guess it has worked before, and she knows what works best for her. It's just a bit strange to hear of someone competing in a race - while the world championships is taking place on the other side of the globe (!!) - and then flying over to take part in the world champs a matter of days later. Does anyone know if anyone has done something like this before?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
            Does anyone know if anyone has done something like this before?
            Maybe she knows in her heart that she is not running in Berlin?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Originally posted by Jon
              Does anyone know if anyone has done something like this before?
              Maybe she knows in her heart that she is not running in Berlin?
              That crossed my mind. But I don't think UKA would be too impressed if she declared herself unfit for the World Champs, but fit enough to compete in a race one week before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                You're right. She ran (and won) the Great South Run 10-miler six days before the New York Marathon last year.

She also ran the 10,000m at the Helsinki World Champs eight days before the marathon.

I guess it has worked before, and she knows what works best for her. It's just a bit strange to hear of someone competing in a race - while the world championships is taking place on the other side of the globe (!!) - and then flying over to take part in the world champs a matter of days later. Does anyone know if anyone has done something like this before?
                Tegla Loroupe ran a 69:19 half-marathon one week before setting a world-record in the Berlin Marathon on September 26 1999 so it's certainly possible.

I'm sure Paula is experienced enough to deal with time-zones and time-changes etc.
                http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

very very weird.
                  One week apart? Then trave to NY and back to Europe...

I guess it could be a good training run-do marathoners do that kind of meileage before a big marathon?

I can certainly see how UKA would not be pleased.

I guess she gets big bucks for it?

Comment

I would assume she is not spending much time in NY and will be able to remain pretty much on London or Berlin time, making the usually hard West-to-East trip not so bad. Probably won't be all that different than a trip to Mt. SAC for an East Coast trained collegian in terms of travel fatigue (plus traveling in 1st Class, I'd guess).

Comment

i love paula, don't always agree with her but have to upmost respect for her.

i love this move not because i think it's wise just for the excitement.

not sure what the point is though she could do a hard training run in Berlin or could have entered the 10k

what exactly do you get out of runnnin half marathon the other side of the world a week before one of the biggest races of the year and why have UKA allowed her to do it :?
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                        Probably won't be all that different than a trip to Mt. SAC for an East Coast trained collegian in terms of travel fatigue (plus traveling in 1st Class, I'd guess).
                        It took me 8 hours (total travel time) to fly from Philadelphia to LA on Sunday... so, NY to Berlin is a breeze!

Comment

She couldn't have entered the 10k without a qualifying time, could she?

Well maybe she won't race it and use it as a training run...

Comment

Watch her get sick....

Comment

Paula knows exactly what she's doing, trust me.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X