Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Usain Bolt is simply the most exciting athlete ...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Usain Bolt is simply the most exciting athlete ...

    .. in our sports history.

    We're all very lucky to be able to see his performances.

  • #2
    It's good for the sport that he ran this 9.58 in the Berlin Olympic stadium too. Gives that historic angle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Usain Bolt is simply the most exciting athlete ...

      Originally posted by malmo
      .. in our sports history.

      We're all very lucky to be able to see his performances.
      I don't know that I can disagree with you. With past stars, I always wondered IF they could get near the world record. With Bolt -- i always wonder just how much he will break it by.

      He is a gift to the sport, no doubt.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've seen nothing like him ever. Not even close.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

        Comment


        • #5
          A great athlete, but unfortunately a buffoon.
          Showing some personality and emotion is great but Bolt's act is manufactured and tacky. Bernard Williams had a similar routine but no one ever said he was 'what this sport needs' (Ato Boldon). Funny how a couple tenths of a second can change things.
          At the end of the day Bolt is just a yob. Fast for sure, but a yob nonetheless.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by K.I.R.
            A great athlete, but unfortunately a buffoon.
            Showing some personality and emotion is great but Bolt's act is manufactured and tacky. Bernard Williams had a similar routine but no one ever said he was 'what this sport needs' (Ato Boldon). Funny how a couple tenths of a second can change things.
            At the end of the day Bolt is just a yob. Fast for sure, but a yob nonetheless.
            I have a tendency to agree. I don't like the act. He takes your breath away when he runs, however. Stunning to say the least. I just hope he is clean.

            Comment


            • #7
              let's have a moratorium on "hope he's clean" comments. It's a thought on the front of everyone's brain already and doesn't need to be injected to poison warm & fuzzy moments.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by K.I.R.
                Showing some personality and emotion is great but Bolt's act is manufactured and tacky.

                Imagine what would be said about Michael Phelps if he acted the same way on the pool deck before a race.
                "We can't all be runners because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by klass klown
                  Imagine what would be said about Michael Phelps if he acted the same way on the pool deck before a race.
                  I concur.
                  At least Phelps confines his idiocy to non-aqueous environments.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Disagree completely. Bolt is a breath of fresh air to our stodgy little sport. No wonder we are shrinking in popularity, when his very innocent and joyful antics are dissed by "the inner circle".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Funny, all the "non-trackie" people I talk to love stuff like Bolt's act. They think it is fun, which is a wonderful thing for a sport that is struggling for recognition.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bolt is carrying our sport on his shoulders right now. I think we all need to be riding shotgun on his bandwagon!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by K.I.R.
                          Bernard Williams had a similar routine but no one ever said he was 'what this sport needs' (Ato Boldon). Funny how a couple tenths of a second can change things.
                          I personally used to giggle at the William's eyebrow and find it refreshing compared to his more stoney faced competitors.

                          Bolt is serious once he's in the blocks and that's enough for me.

                          It's also about the right mix of enjoying yourself and not disrespeccting others (which is where Williams, Drummond and co got themselves in trouble in Sydney).

                          Bolt is appropriately humble and self-aware. There isn't any trashtalking pre- or post-race, and that makes him a nice change too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My theory is the more he clowns around the faster he is going to run!

                            I admit the antics of so male sprinters in the past used to bug me but I find Bolt fun.

                            I do find it kind of hokey how all the other athletes are starting to do their own dumb moves (and some of them are sooooo juvenile).

                            By the way,how come you don't see women doing that stuff?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gm
                              Funny, all the "non-trackie" people I talk to love stuff like Bolt's act. They think it is fun, which is a wonderful thing for a sport that is struggling for recognition.
                              Exactly . . .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X