Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bolt GOAT Questions

Some not so random thoughts on the race today.

Givens:

1. Obviously the greatest 100 ever run
    2. Also the greatest sprint performance.
    3. Also makes Bolt the undisputed 100 GOAT.
    4. Also makes Bolt the undisputed Sprint GOAT.

Hypotheses:

1. Was that the greatest T&F performance ever? The 100 tests the most basic athletic skill since the dawn of time - who can run the fastest?
    2. Was that the greatest athletic feat ever? (See above)
    3. Does that make Bolt the greatest T&F athlete ever and similarly, the greatest athlete ever?
    4. Did Bolt just out-Beamon Beamon and set a record that will last 30 years? 40 years? More? I just can't wrap my brain around the number 9.58. That IS how good Bolt really is, no fluke, but could he ever do it again? Even with 2.0 wind.

a. Does that make Tyson Gay the second best 'all of the above'?

I can't help but think we just witnessed a performance for the ages. Maybe it's just the excitement of the moment. What think ye?

3. Does that make Bolt the greatest T&F athlete ever and similarly, the greatest athlete ever?
    He needs to expand. Carl Lewis 9.86, 19.75 200 and all those 28+ LJs mean he's the greatest T&F athlete ever.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Re: The Bolt GOAT Questions

Originally posted by Marlow
      I can't help but think we just witnessed a performance for the ages. Maybe it's just the excitement of the moment. What think ye?
      I have to admit, when I saw Gay wasn't catching him I knew something big was coming. But, seeing the clock stop at 9.58s didn't have the same thrill for me as seeing 9.79s in 1988 (which was the last time I was watching an anticipated match on the edge of my seat). Perhaps it's a by-product of the Bolt phenomenon -- I've become desensitized to unreal performances!

As for how long this record will stand: maybe a year? I'm generally conservative with my predictions (I always over-estimated in my youth, and was always disappointed), but Bolt is teaching us to expect the unexpected.

There is a concurrent discussion of a hypothetical 9.90/9.09 200m split: I wouldn't be surprised. I guess Bolt has had an effect on me.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
        He needs to expand. Carl Lewis 9.86, 19.75 200 and all those 28+ LJs mean he's the greatest T&F athlete ever.
        9.58 vs 9.86

19.30 vs 19.75

No contest. Those ridiculous sprint marks even outweigh CL's stupendous LJ marks - and the fact that he won 4 OGs!

Comment

I can't wait to see the 'splits'. .81 for sure. MAYBE Bolt is even faster than all those 4.20 football players! :shock:

Comment

I never get in to the whole GOAT debate but I will predict that Bolt is never defeated in a finals for the rest of his career. Unless he is injured during it or tripped or some such thing. :?
            And I guess that would make him the GOAT if he ain't already. :wink:

I also predicted exactly 9.58 before the race. My husband said he thought it was impossible to break 9.6 and laughed !

To me it was so obvious he was going under that after the semi ;I didn't think my prediction was outlandish at all.

And it wasn't. :P 8-)

Comment

9.58 vs 9.86

19.30 vs 19.75

No contest. Those ridiculous sprint marks even outweigh CL's stupendous LJ marks - and the fact that he won 4 OGs

I respectfully....but completely disagree. All those long jumps and the training that went into it (and the beating) makes King Carl's times even more impressive. Also, remember how LONG ago he made his marks. If Bolt in born in the early 60's, he's not running 9.58. If Lewis was born only 22-23 years ago (and benefitting from modern training and nutrition) we might be talking about his insane times.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                I never get in to the whole GOAT debate but I will predict that Bolt is never defeated in a finals for the rest of his career. Unless he is injured during it or tripped or some such thing. :?
                And I guess that would make him the GOAT if he ain't already. :wink:

I also predicted exactly 9.58 before the race. My husband said he thought it was impossible to break 9.6 and laughed !

To me it was so obvious he was going under that after the semi ;I didn't think my prediction was outlandish at all.

And it wasn't. :P 8-)
                There are more people in Jamaica like Bolt, we just havent found them, they will come out of the woodwork sooner or later.
                When Powell ran 9.74, no one thought another guy would come out of nowhere to take that down to 9.58. Someone is out there and they are getting off their butt after watching the Bolt race and their going to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                  9.58 vs 9.86

19.30 vs 19.75

No contest. Those ridiculous sprint marks even outweigh CL's stupendous LJ marks - and the fact that he won 4 OGs

I respectfully....but completely disagree. All those long jumps and the training that went into it (and the beating) makes King Carl's times even more impressive. Also, remember how LONG ago he made his marks. If Bolt in born in the early 60's, he's not running 9.58. If Lewis was born only 22-23 years ago (and benefitting from modern training and nutrition) we might be talking about his insane times.
                  Lewis was a bad starter even for a tall man and you don't run Usain Bolt down. I doubt he'd have run Gay down either. If he was 22-30 right now I reckon he'd have come somewhere around half way between Gay and Powell. Also, if you can lose to Joe DeLoach at the height of your powers you have almost zero chance of beating a healthy Bolt in the deuce.

Lewis was good for his era but he couldn't beat Ben Johnson. You could put any sprinter in the world on any PEDs you liked and none of them would have beaten Bolt in this final.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

No contest. Those ridiculous sprint marks even outweigh CL's stupendous LJ marks - and the fact that he won 4 OGs!
                    This is it. That's where we are now. Bolt has moved the markers. A paradigm shift, whatever. We have to think about 100m times differently after this.

Imagine, Gay is crushing the AMERICAN 100m record, yet he finishes 13/10s behind another sprinter.
                    Of course now Gay thinks he can run in the 9.6's and why is that? Because Bolt has changed the way we look at what's possible.

There has never been a sprinter quite like this.

Only a madman would have predicted in the early spring of 2008 that by the summer of 2009 somebody will run in the 9.5's

Comment

From the few races I have seen him run, Bolt, IMO,got an exceptionally good start and seemed to run with more "precision" than I remembered. And, he ran through the finish line. The result, in good sprint weather, fast track, worthy competition and a near optimum 0.9 wind, was a motivated "for-the ages " 9.58 100m.
                      The question is: How long will the ages last? A week? A month? A year?

I don't know. Neither does anyone else but I will not be surprised if he lowers that mark, not by another second but by a few hundreths before his career is finished.
                      And someday, maybe in the next generation or the next century, everything will fall into place and another superbly talented young man will break his record.

But for now, yes, he is the GOAT (Sprint Division)

Whether speed or stamina deserves/determines designation as GOAT Athlete is, IMO, personal and subjective. So subjective, I can't decide.

The perfomances distances runners are putting up these days deserve a whole 'nother GOAT category.

Comment

Can you even make a fair decision on the GOAT unless its for each event?
                        I mean if your going to say he is the spring GOAT why isn't he being compared to Johnson, the 400 200 double is just as much a sprint as the 100 200 double.

In terms of just the 100m. Bolt probably just took that GOAT position over Green and more recently Powell. Neither of them have run faster than bolt, but over the distance they have been the most consistent with their fast times. (even though if bolt ran as many 100's as theses 2 guys he would easily have more consistent fast times)

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                          Can you even make a fair decision on the GOAT unless its for each event?
                          I mean if your going to say he is the spring GOAT why isn't he being compared to Johnson, the 400 200 double is just as much a sprint as the 100 200 double.

In terms of just the 100m. Bolt probably just took that GOAT position over Green and more recently Powell. Neither of them have run faster than bolt, but over the distance they have been the most consistent with their fast times. (even though if bolt ran as many 100's as theses 2 guys he would easily have more consistent fast times)
                          You are absolutely right, of course. As I said, it is personal and subjective. Everyone can set their own standards.

Comment

I thought Lagat was the one who slaughtered the goat and ate the cornhole?

Comment

IMO

Bolt is the greatest sprinter EVER

But he is not the greatest T&F athlete.... YET... (I give that to Carl Lewis as much as i dislike him.)

Just wait till Bolt does the 400m and the Long jump!!

It was said he could jump over 7m when he was in Jr high school.

Now add some 6'5" height.. big long legs.. martian muscle and 9.58 speed and this guy would go 30 feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X