Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bolt GOAT Questions

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Usain Bolt is bad. Right now he is #1 by far. Lewis was great during his hey-day. He brought the sport to the forefront. Track needs a person like Bolt to breath life in to it. Maybe he can spark a renewed interest into the sport.

    Comment


    • #17
      If G.O.A.T. means Greatest Of All Time, then it must be asked; greatest what? Greatest sprinter? greatest athlete? If we are talking about sprinting only, does that limits the discussion to 100 and 200m only, or 200-400m or 100m-400m?

      And what about longevity? where does this criterion fits in the discussion?

      As track fan, I am of the opinion that Carl Lewis is still the GOAT, based on number of medals AND longevity. If Bolt continues down this trailblazing path thru to the next Olympics, he will be the undisputed greatest sprinter, athlete, olympian...whatever. I really thinks the needs at least 2 olympics under his belt to supplant Carl.

      Just my 2 cents.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rabalac
        If G.O.A.T. means Greatest Of All Time, then it must be asked; greatest what? Greatest sprinter? greatest athlete? If we are talking about sprinting only, does that limits the discussion to 100 and 200m only, or 200-400m or 100m-400m?

        And what about longevity? where does this criterion fits in the discussion?

        As track fan, I am of the opinion that Carl Lewis is still the GOAT, based on number of medals AND longevity. If Bolt continues down this trailblazing path thru to the next Olympics, he will be the undisputed greatest sprinter, athlete, olympian...whatever. I really thinks the needs at least 2 olympics under his belt to supplant Carl.

        Just my 2 cents.
        Bolt has won every won title (world youth, world junior, olympic, world championships), has the records/incredible times, he IS the GOAT. Maybe if he adds a commonwealth gold now...

        Comment


        • #19
          The basis for me thinking that perhaps that one race cements his GOATness as both an athletic performer and performance is that sprinting the is the archetypal sports endeavor. EVERYONE tries to run fast. He is the best in the species' history by a LOT (or else every WFH could claim this distinction).

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Marlow
            The basis for me thinking that perhaps that one race cements his GOATness as both an athletic performer and performance is that sprinting the is the archetypal sports endeavor. EVERYONE tries to run fast. He is the best in the species' history by a LOT (or else every WFH could claim this distinction).
            If two athletes enter the world stage for the very first time and athlete A won the 100m and 200m in WR time while athlete B won the 5000m and 10000m also in WR time, and assume thru some injury, neither athlete were to be heard from again, why would athlete A be considered greater than athlete B, given the similarity of their respective achievements?

            Comment


            • #21
              One of the original questions was:

              Is Bolt the greatest ATHLETE ever?

              Because of King Carl's incredible LJ marks, and because he was the 3 time WR holder in thw 100 in HIS era and the a 19.75 200 man in HIS era, he's the greatest T&F ATHLETE.
              But for now, yes, he is the GOAT (Sprint Division)
              Lonewolf wrote that. IF we simply say sprints, then it's Bolt easily. But until he masters a third discipline at GOLD MEDAL levels, it was always be Carl Lewis as the greatest ATHLETE.






              ALSO, anyone who discounts ERAS (shoes, surfaces, nutrition, training) is myopic and in denial. Lewis ups his 9.86 BIG TIME if he starts his career in the 00's and not the early 80's.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rabalac
                If two athletes enter the world stage for the very first time and athlete A won the 100m and 200m in WR time while athlete B won the 5000m and 10000m also in WR time, and assume thru some injury, neither athlete were to be heard from again, why would athlete A be considered greater than athlete B, given the similarity of their respective achievements?
                He would not necessarily, but that's not what has transpired, so I don't see the relevance.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: The Bolt GOAT Questions

                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  Some not so random thoughts on the race today.


                  3. Does that make Bolt the greatest T&F athlete ever and similarly, the greatest athlete ever?
                  (Just a thought) Running an indoor race (world record / world title) would not hurt him either. That would add to the depth of his career.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    So, with the 19.19, what's the deal? Is he now the GOAT of Everything? I think so.
                    With the Beijing WR double (triple) and now this one, I think we can engrave his name on the trophy.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      [quote="Marlow"]Is he now the GOAT of Everything?

                      Not until he gets that all-important Commonwealth title in Delhi next year

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You know an athlete is the GOAT when his competitors start talking about switching to the long jump or football to have a chance at winning again. :lol:
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X