Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dietmar239
    replied
    You know an athlete is the GOAT when his competitors start talking about switching to the long jump or football to have a chance at winning again. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    [quote="Marlow"]Is he now the GOAT of Everything?

Not until he gets that all-important Commonwealth title in Delhi next year

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    So, with the 19.19, what's the deal? Is he now the GOAT of Everything? I think so.
    With the Beijing WR double (triple) and now this one, I think we can engrave his name on the trophy.

Leave a comment:

• Hano
    replied
    Re: The Bolt GOAT Questions

Originally posted by Marlow
    Some not so random thoughts on the race today.

3. Does that make Bolt the greatest T&F athlete ever and similarly, the greatest athlete ever?
    (Just a thought) Running an indoor race (world record / world title) would not hurt him either. That would add to the depth of his career.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by rabalac
    If two athletes enter the world stage for the very first time and athlete A won the 100m and 200m in WR time while athlete B won the 5000m and 10000m also in WR time, and assume thru some injury, neither athlete were to be heard from again, why would athlete A be considered greater than athlete B, given the similarity of their respective achievements?
    He would not necessarily, but that's not what has transpired, so I don't see the relevance.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    One of the original questions was:

Is Bolt the greatest ATHLETE ever?

Because of King Carl's incredible LJ marks, and because he was the 3 time WR holder in thw 100 in HIS era and the a 19.75 200 man in HIS era, he's the greatest T&F ATHLETE.
    But for now, yes, he is the GOAT (Sprint Division)
    Lonewolf wrote that. IF we simply say sprints, then it's Bolt easily. But until he masters a third discipline at GOLD MEDAL levels, it was always be Carl Lewis as the greatest ATHLETE.

ALSO, anyone who discounts ERAS (shoes, surfaces, nutrition, training) is myopic and in denial. Lewis ups his 9.86 BIG TIME if he starts his career in the 00's and not the early 80's.

Leave a comment:

• rabalac
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    The basis for me thinking that perhaps that one race cements his GOATness as both an athletic performer and performance is that sprinting the is the archetypal sports endeavor. EVERYONE tries to run fast. He is the best in the species' history by a LOT (or else every WFH could claim this distinction).
    If two athletes enter the world stage for the very first time and athlete A won the 100m and 200m in WR time while athlete B won the 5000m and 10000m also in WR time, and assume thru some injury, neither athlete were to be heard from again, why would athlete A be considered greater than athlete B, given the similarity of their respective achievements?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    The basis for me thinking that perhaps that one race cements his GOATness as both an athletic performer and performance is that sprinting the is the archetypal sports endeavor. EVERYONE tries to run fast. He is the best in the species' history by a LOT (or else every WFH could claim this distinction).

Leave a comment:

• track_expert
    replied
    Originally posted by rabalac
    If G.O.A.T. means Greatest Of All Time, then it must be asked; greatest what? Greatest sprinter? greatest athlete? If we are talking about sprinting only, does that limits the discussion to 100 and 200m only, or 200-400m or 100m-400m?

And what about longevity? where does this criterion fits in the discussion?

As track fan, I am of the opinion that Carl Lewis is still the GOAT, based on number of medals AND longevity. If Bolt continues down this trailblazing path thru to the next Olympics, he will be the undisputed greatest sprinter, athlete, olympian...whatever. I really thinks the needs at least 2 olympics under his belt to supplant Carl.

Just my 2 cents.
    Bolt has won every won title (world youth, world junior, olympic, world championships), has the records/incredible times, he IS the GOAT. Maybe if he adds a commonwealth gold now...

Leave a comment:

• rabalac
    replied
    If G.O.A.T. means Greatest Of All Time, then it must be asked; greatest what? Greatest sprinter? greatest athlete? If we are talking about sprinting only, does that limits the discussion to 100 and 200m only, or 200-400m or 100m-400m?

And what about longevity? where does this criterion fits in the discussion?

As track fan, I am of the opinion that Carl Lewis is still the GOAT, based on number of medals AND longevity. If Bolt continues down this trailblazing path thru to the next Olympics, he will be the undisputed greatest sprinter, athlete, olympian...whatever. I really thinks the needs at least 2 olympics under his belt to supplant Carl.

Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Big Daddy
    replied
    Usain Bolt is bad. Right now he is #1 by far. Lewis was great during his hey-day. He brought the sport to the forefront. Track needs a person like Bolt to breath life in to it. Maybe he can spark a renewed interest into the sport.

Leave a comment:

• RamGoat
    replied
    IMO

Bolt is the greatest sprinter EVER

But he is not the greatest T&F athlete.... YET... (I give that to Carl Lewis as much as i dislike him.)

Just wait till Bolt does the 400m and the Long jump!!

It was said he could jump over 7m when he was in Jr high school.

Now add some 6'5" height.. big long legs.. martian muscle and 9.58 speed and this guy would go 30 feet.

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    I thought Lagat was the one who slaughtered the goat and ate the cornhole?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK
    Can you even make a fair decision on the GOAT unless its for each event?
    I mean if your going to say he is the spring GOAT why isn't he being compared to Johnson, the 400 200 double is just as much a sprint as the 100 200 double.

In terms of just the 100m. Bolt probably just took that GOAT position over Green and more recently Powell. Neither of them have run faster than bolt, but over the distance they have been the most consistent with their fast times. (even though if bolt ran as many 100's as theses 2 guys he would easily have more consistent fast times)
    You are absolutely right, of course. As I said, it is personal and subjective. Everyone can set their own standards.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Can you even make a fair decision on the GOAT unless its for each event?
    I mean if your going to say he is the spring GOAT why isn't he being compared to Johnson, the 400 200 double is just as much a sprint as the 100 200 double.

In terms of just the 100m. Bolt probably just took that GOAT position over Green and more recently Powell. Neither of them have run faster than bolt, but over the distance they have been the most consistent with their fast times. (even though if bolt ran as many 100's as theses 2 guys he would easily have more consistent fast times)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X