• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson Gay withdraws from mens 200m

as reported on T and F news
    Cows need love too

Gay Withdraws From 200; Hopes To Compete On Relay
    BERLIN - Defending world champion Tyson Gay will not compete in the 200 meters at the World Championships and instead will focus on preparing for a possible appearance in Team USA's 4x100m relay.

Competing all season with an injured groin, Gay ran an American record 9.71 seconds in Sunday night's final of the men's 100 meters to win the silver medal. The effort took enough of a toll on Gay that he decided resting would better serve the interests of Team USA and himself.

"Rather than risk further injury, I've decided that I will not compete in tomorrow's first round of the 200m," Gay said Monday night. "I would like to be a part of Team USA's 4x100m and believe this decision will give me the best chance to be ready for the relay. I want to help our relay as best I can."

Team USA will determine its first-round relay lineup after the men's 200m final on August 20. The first round of the relay is on Friday, August 21, with the final on Saturday, August 22.

For more information on Team USA at the World Championships, visit www.usatf.org
    Cows need love too

Comment

Not a big shock, to be honest. I was wondering how he expected to last all these rounds, when all year he felt he needed to save himself even in one-off races.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Comment

Re: Tyson Gay withdraws from mens 200m

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
          as reported on T and F news
          i thought that would happen after I saw him run the 100. He had already mentioned the groin prior to the 100. After exerting as much energy in the 100 as he did, I just knew it would be a matter of time b4 this kind of news would come in the 200 considering rounds. I hope he can perform in the 4x1.

Comment

Bolt will be disappointed but I think he still have enough motivation to go out and smash his own world record.
            Cows need love too

Comment

Hey, no new topics! :lol:

Comment

This is a shame as I'm starting to think we might never see Tyson Gay's full potential at the 200m. He's consistently run some very good times but the all time list may be missing his big one when he finally calls it a day. That'll be the Beijing and Berlin 200m finals he'll have missed and he's one of the best ever to run the event, especially with his ability on the curve.

Some "competition" would have been better for Bolt than none at all and might have helped him run his absolute fastest too. I don't know if it was a forgone conclusion that Bolt has it all his own way in this, you never know, he might have gone out insanely fast chasing a time and blown up down the stretch. On the other hand, with Gay out, maybe Bolt can afford to go after sub 19 without the worry at the back of his head that's there's somebody to reel him in if it goes wrong!

Comment

Tyson will be back next year you bet.
                  Cows need love too

Comment

I kinda saw this coming.
                    Its a shame...but Im proud of him.
                    He ran his a** off for us. He's a champion in every right.
                    I hope he can recover enough to give Bolt all he can handle on the curve Saturday.
                    Damn :cry:

Comment

hats off to the one, Tyson Gay.

this is too bad. one could argue that the 200 is really Tyson's best race.

but, this is probably a smart decision and should help give the U.S. relay team it's best shot.

I have no doubt, none, that we will see Tyson run some huge 200's in the near future.

Let's see if Crawford and Spearman can step it up and make things interesting.

Also very curious to see what Guliyev will do in the 200.

Comment

man i was hoping that he wud run bcuz i wanted to see ub whip him agaun.

so that the americans wiudn't sing their shuda cuda wudas

man this sucks

Comment

im gutted... i really think Tyson is a better 200 as he doesnt have the 100 start at the moment... booo... even if he was 2nd i like watching him making history doing so! 9.71 for 2nd still shocks me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                            Tyson will be back next year you bet.
                            For more silvers.

Hope he's in the relay, would love to see an actual race.

Comment

Well there goes any possible sub 19 second hopes for Bolt, but hopefully the relay teams are pumped up 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X