Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Semi"

semi is defined by Merrim-Webster Dictionary as "precisely half of" but Marlow wrote, "The word 'semis' means whatever we deem it to mean!"

I've noticed other imprecision in the language of sports administration including rules -- and exams for certification of officials.

Precision in measurements is considered important in conduct of the sport, but precision in language seems less revered and at times not even respected.

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
      Originally posted by rabalac
      Next thing you know, they will be having five "quarter" finals.
      it's been done, i'm sure.
      The men's 100 in Berlin had 6 quarterfinals. I believe in Beijing it had 5.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Re: "Semi"

Originally posted by James Fields
        I've noticed other imprecision in the language of sports administration including rules -- and exams for certification of officials.
        One of the made-up-words I hate is "Commentator"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/commentate

If you comment on sports aren't you a "Commenter"?

And don't get me started on "phenom"

Comment

First use of a 'three semi-final' in a world-level championship I can find was (I believe) 61 years ago...

1948 London Olympic women's 100m, where in the official British Olympic report Jack Crump (Mgr of British team) - who famously said in a Games preview that Fanny Blankers-Koen was ''too old" and that Shirley Strickland wasn't "good enough" said:

"Whilst this system was probaly expedient, it seems that an additional round, permitting the first three in each heat to progress, would have been fairer to the athletes"

"Without criticising the organisers, for whom expediency must also be a factor, it does seem that when three place medals are concerned, the first three in each heat should go forward"

The more things change.........

Comment

semi is defined by Merrim-Webster Dictionary as "precisely half of" but Marlow wrote, "The word 'semis' means whatever we deem it to mean!"
            I hate to break this to you, but dictionaries do not dictate what words mean, they tell us how they are used. Words that Shakespeare meant one way, mean something entirely different now. A dictionary reflects how we use language and now that 'semis' mean 'penultimates' (to the iAAF at least) that's how the dictionary will define it (sooner or later).
            What did 'gay' used to mean? How did dictionaries define it? What happened when it was used to mean something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              I hate to break this to you, but dictionaries do not dictate what words mean, they tell us how they are used.
              "Four legs good, two legs bad"
              "Four legs good, two legs better"

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                Originally posted by Smoke
                It is not the three heats, as has been mentioned. It is the simple fact that you can take second in your heat and end up in lane one for the final! I have had it happen twice to my athletes and it definitely affected their races (Hadi 01 and Tasha 07). Meanwhile a timed qualifier ends up in lane seven or eight.
                You're not up to date. Seeding rules were changed last year, so it can't happen now.
                WHich is still B*llox becuase Gillick and DJohne are now in lanes 1 &2 for the final, when they'd have WON semi number 3 and thus had middle lanes.

Three semi's COULD be forgiven if the IAAF had any notion of how to seed....but they don't.

The men's 800m is a shambles.....

The women's 800m had the three medalists in the same semi.

I always hated this, but it was never this widespread.

Comment

I see they decided to expand the 4x100m from 16 to 18 teams and have a 3-race semi. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                    I see they decided to expand the 4x100m from 16 to 18 teams and have a 3-race semi. Yuck.
                    As much as I really hate 3-semi anythings, I reckon the 4x1s can stand em as much as any event. Where batons can be dropped by a number of teams, I'd prefer top 8 fastest survivors into the final.

Comment

semi is defined by Merrim-Webster Dictionary as "precisely half of"
                      Your reference also defines semi- as:
                      2 : to some extent : partly : incompletely
                      3 a : partial : incomplete b : having some of the characteristics of c : quasi-
                      Furthermore, it defines semifinal as:
                      1 : being next to the last in an elimination tournament

Comment

Hate it!! Especially in races over 400m, where it gives advantage to later heats to see what they have to do (although I'm not sure they take advantage of it.) I am all for 2 semis Period!

Having said that I look back on WC's and see only 800(of races over400) is a 3 race semi, and in the woman's race the last heat was the slowest.

Comment

Working...
                        X