Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medal count vs. projections

Looks like US will fall well short of T&FN and Universal's predictions of 28 and 29.

After Hardee's decathlon, total medals are 13.

From here on it looks like these are possible:

wDT - 1
    w200 - 1
    m400 - 2
    mLJ - 1
    w4x100 - 1
    m4x100 - 1
    m5000 - 1
    w1500 - 1
    w4x400 - 1
    m4x400 -1

So, 11 more if we're fortunate, giving a total of 24.

Medal count vs. projections

Oops, I forgot wMar. Goucher has a good shot. So...25?

Comment

We're using the same kind of math as USATF's Project 30: Hardee got 10 medals over last two days, the relays should be good for at least 8......

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        We're using the same kind of math as USATF's Project 30: Hardee got 10 medals over last two days, the relays should be good for at least 8......
        Relays should be good for 16 medals (4 in each race).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          We're using the same kind of math as USATF's Project 30:
          The problem with setting exceedingly high goals is that when you fall short, you have 'failed'. I see 24-26 medals as perfectly acceptable in the reality of today's T&F world (where a Barbadian athlete can win the 110H).

Comment

Originally posted by jpaule
            Originally posted by gh
            Relays should be good for 16 medals (4 in each race).
            And this year's optimism award goes to.....

Comment

Where USATF is concerned, the 30 was perhaps acceptable as a goal. That's their thing. However, T&FN predictions should be based on objective reality, not aspirations. Am I the only poster who felt all along that T&FN's predictions had a distinctly American bias?

Comment

I agree with you rudawal, the predictions by Universal Sports and TF was skewed towards the Americans.
                Universal pathetically predicted Tyson to beat Usain in the 200m, don't know what they were thinking.
                Jamaica demolished their predictions with Melaine demolishing Demus
                Bridgette and Delo surprising the Americans, not even one American receiving a medal.
                Jamaica winning the 4X100m women, though Americans had the misfortune of Muna's injury.

But all in all they are predictions based on what the athlete season progression. So predictions may not predicate actual.

Comment

Although USA fell down a bit vis a vis predictions, imho virtually all US losses were valiant ones. A much better overall effort than last year in China.

Comment

I suspect there are other countries licking their wounds a little more than US.

1. Russia
                    2. Ethopia (serious failures on Women's side)

Comment

3, China ???

Comment

Originally posted by tammi6
                        I agree with you rudawal, the predictions by Universal Sports and TF was skewed towards the Americans.
                        Universal pathetically predicted Tyson to beat Usain in the 200m, don't know what they were thinking.
                        Jamaica demolished their predictions with Melaine demolishing Demus
                        Bridgette and Delo surprising the Americans, not even one American receiving a medal.Jamaica winning the 4X100m women, though Americans had the misfortune of Muna's injury.

But all in all they are predictions based on what the athlete season progression. So predictions may not predicate actual.
                        I seem to recall that the first set of predictions had a US sweep of the w100h. I couldn't understand how women who were not appearing in any known meets could figure so prominently on a "formchart".

By the way - Sweden got no medals at all!

Comment

Ukraine shut out also (four 4ths), Italy, Belarus & Morocco.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                            3, China ???
                            What makes you say that? They won their highest number of medals since the 1996 OG.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                              Originally posted by Vault-emort
                              3, China ???
                              What makes you say that? They won their highest number of medals since the 1996 OG.
                              And had a poor "placings" score at the home-town Games last year:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=37174

Comment

Working...
                              X