Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'09 WC w4x1: U.S. disaster in heats (surprise!)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texas_speed
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    They had a poor handoff due to lack of practice and continuity. Anderson shouldn't have been on that relay.........it should have been the same relay as Cottbus, PERIOD.
    I don't agree with you here entirely keith.

They plan was to have Anderson-Hooker in the semis and Felix-Lee in the finals...which would've been fine. Anderson and Hooker worked together on the B relay at Cottbus. And Hooker and Jeter worked together in London. But Hooker got hurt so that gave them all of a day to switch it up.

IMO, that's a hell of a lot of running to be asking Allyson to do by running the 200, 2 rounds of the 4x1 and the 4x4.

I'm in no way defending USATF's relay decisions and practices but in this case, the injury bug ended up biting both of their 3rd leg runners they had selected for the relay. The thought seemed to have been if they could get a safe pass, Muna wouldn't have to exert herself too much.

Now what you may be saying is Alex shouldn't have been on there because of an experience factor...meaning she didn't really seem to have a grasp on the goal of "just getting through." She seemed a bit wild going into the turn and more committed to proving she was "fast enough to be there" than making sure she had a safe pass to a woman who was coming off 6 rounds of high intensity running...which, to me at least, is a rookie mistake.

But what else should have been done this time around (not directly solely at you keith but anyone...I'm really asking because I don't know).

They pick 6 women they're going to run with...successfully run 41.58 with 4 of them and work the 2nd-3rd exchange with the other 2....the choice for 3rd leg of the heat (Hooker) gets hurt in the 200 semis...they're left with 5 women that they've worked extensively with.

If Muna doesn't get hurt and its just a horrid exchange, we're talking about "thank God Allyson is running in the finals" or something to that effect and not about what we are now.

What would any of you done differently under these exact circumstances?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    Believe me there are many sentiments here seemingly heart felt.

Fast forward 2012 on this board Guru, Texas et. al. in their pre meet analyses will be cursing the shoddy relay technique of their teams and how they hope the execute what they were trained to do

Leave a comment:

• rudawal
    replied
    [quote=guruof track][quote="Paul Henry":3eu9hosr]
    Originally posted by "guruof track":3eu9hosr
    Mr. Logan need to offer a resignation. I don't see how he has made T&F better in his tenure.
    Logan was not the one who buckled under pressure[/quote:3eu9hosr]

Who buckled under pressure? They had a poor handoff due to lack of practice and continuity. Anderson shouldn't have been on that relay.........it should have been the same relay as Cottbus, PERIOD.[/quote:3eu9hosr]

Does the word 'choke' ring a bell? How about 'Asafa'? US sprint relay runners are under so much pressure that it is no wonder we see mistakes occurring. And the kind of reactions I see at this early stage indicates to me that thing will get worse before they get better. Perhaps we should take note of the improved performances from Sanya Richards, Brigitte Foster-Hylton and Asafa himself after they learnt to lighten up a bit. You may not like Bolt's pre-race antics but they serve a useful purpose.

The pewee realy teams that get the batons around so smoothly are able to do so because they are under very little pressure. Threaten any of them before a race and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Speedster
    replied
    Your heart goes out to Muna, she really looked in pain, when you twist like that at speed it can really cause damage as your leg isn't designed to take forces like that from those angles. The BBC have just shown Muna on crutches below the stadium.

For what its worth, Lauren Williams ran a great first leg and Alexandria Anderson is a star of the future, she looked great on the back straight, a real shame for the US team.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by t_monk
    Screw this relay crap, anyone who gets ANY info on Muna keep us updated or send me a PM or something. I am heartbroken now. I hope she is alright. I really do. I hope she s is ok
    Based on the clip they just had, she looked to be real bad. Ham string fully rapped and they were helping her into a wheel chair. She will recover quick. Muna is strong and determined.

Leave a comment:

• JWiz
    replied
    Noooo. Look pun my girl on crutches.
    You'll be alright Muna. Screw your American fans. We'll take you in a J.A jersey any day.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    Originally posted by t_monk
    Screw this relay crap, anyone who gets ANY info on Muna keep us updated or send me a PM or something. I am heartbroken now. I hope she is alright. I really do. I hope she s is ok
    She came out of the medical room on crutches and with a heavily bandaged upper leg.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    Just saw a shot of Muna. Her leg is heavily strapped. I hope so badly that she is ok.

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Just showed Muna, her leg was wrapped heavily.

Leave a comment:

• klass klown
    replied
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    Regardless of how ugly the hand off looked, they got it off and an athlete was INJURED. Injuries happen
    So you're suggesting the injury was unrelated to the awkward body movements she made to get the baton, and would have happened either way.

Umm, ok.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    [quote=guruof track][quote="texas_speed":dk63oxbb]
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":dk63oxbb
    Logan was not the one who buckled under pressure
    Look I love to rip the USATF coaching and admin as much as the next person but I think this comment is outright disrespectful and tasteless in light of the resultant injury to Muna.

Regardless of how ugly the hand off looked, they got it off and an athlete was INJURED. Injuries happen and while it was at an extremely unfortunate time, the most important thing IMO is that Muna is able to return to good health.[/quote:dk63oxbb]

Thank you! I was trying to ignre the fact that he was taking a shot at Muna, because I'm one of her biggest fans.[/quote:dk63oxbb]
    Yes, the handoff had nothing to do with the failure, I think people are just blaming the handoff because the US was riding on having good handoffs. But that was not the problem. If they would have had a perfect handoff, muna still would have had a bad hamstring. Doesn't change anything.

Stay up Muna. 2011 and 2012 are just around the corner.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    [quote=texas_speed]
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":2oo3w4ib
    Look I love to rip the USATF coaching and admin as much as the next person but I think this comment is outright disrespectful and tasteless in light of the resultant injury to Muna.

Regardless of how ugly the hand off looked, they got it off and an athlete was INJURED. Injuries happen and while it was at an extremely unfortunate time, the most important thing IMO is that Muna is able to return to good health.[/quote:2oo3w4ib]

What!! how disrespectful and tasteless? All and sundry realize the anguish this lady is going through which far from the point (from which my emotions are detached mind you) but at the end of the day you could also consider Mr. Logan's feelings and credibility, so it goes both ways and further wheter the severity or not...she buckled fell, got hurt (OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD)

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    a. Logan is a rookie; he gets another shot.
    b. this error has nothing to do with INDIVIDUAL experience of runners
    c. this has everything to do with the fact that this line-up has not run together under meet pressure enough. Practice in training is good, but is not the same as meet pressure. They must run in 3 meets prior to the WC/OG, WITH the line-up in the Big Meet. That means no switching around in the heats!!! Sorry, THAT is the problem. We try to finesse the prelims and IT DOES NOT HELP. This is total crap!

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    [quote=texas_speed]
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":2xeij91l

Regardless of how ugly the hand off looked, they got it off and an athlete was INJURED. Injuries happen and while it was at an extremely unfortunate time, the most important thing IMO is that Muna is able to return to good health.[/quote:2xeij91l]

Thank you! I was trying to ignre the fact that he was taking a shot at Muna, because I'm one of her biggest fans.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X