Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'09 WC w4x1: U.S. disaster in heats (surprise!)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texas_speed
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    Logan was not the one who buckled under pressure
    Look I love to rip the USATF coaching and admin as much as the next person but I think this comment is outright disrespectful and tasteless in light of the resultant injury to Muna.

Regardless of how ugly the hand off looked, they got it off and an athlete was INJURED. Injuries happen and while it was at an extremely unfortunate time, the most important thing IMO is that Muna is able to return to good health.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    [quote=Paul Henry]
    Originally posted by "guruof track":223nuzkk
    Mr. Logan need to offer a resignation. I don't see how he has made T&F better in his tenure.
    Logan was not the one who buckled under pressure[/quote:223nuzkk]

Who buckled under pressure? They had a poor handoff due to lack of practice and continuity. Anderson shouldn't have been on that relay.........it should have been the same relay as Cottbus, PERIOD.

Leave a comment:

• texas_speed
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    One thing that went wrong was Muna didn't give Anderson a stationary target - the dreaded windshield wiper movement.
    I love it when I read these kinds of comments.

Very rarely will you find a stationary target and if you do, I'll show you a person taking the baton who isn't very fast.

The job of the incoming runner is to FIND the outgoing runner's hand. The margin for error can always be improved and having not seen the replay yet, I can't say what I think caused this situation but right now, the most important thing IMO is the health of an injured runner.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    Mr. Logan need to offer a resignation. I don't see how he has made T&F better in his tenure.
    Logan was not the one who buckled under pressure

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    Originally posted by doug091463
    Originally posted by Marlow
    NOW who thinks the USATF is doing a good job with our relays? I understand there will always be some mishaps, but this is just RIDICULOUS!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    everyone says that buti dont know how it can be USATF's fault, these sprinters here have run relays starting at 10 years old, more than half their lives, every year be it junior olympics, usatf youth, middle school, high school, college etc. every year with most likely at least 1 member of the relay being a newcomer. so it is experienced relay members who have had LOTS of success in the past at all levels individually and in the relays.
    i do think the amount of bad luck our relays have had in big meets is amazing.
    But they have been running on relays with some sort of continuity up until the professional level. Look at how many handoffs Munna took from Stephanie Durst at LSU.........well over 60. Explain to me how lack of practice at the professional level, coupled with no continuity is doint anything besides exastebating an already terrible situation.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Some of you screaming are just talking out of your butts.

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doug091463
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    NOW who thinks the USATF is doing a good job with our relays? I understand there will always be some mishaps, but this is just RIDICULOUS!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    everyone says that buti dont know how it can be USATF's fault, these sprinters here have run relays starting at 10 years old, more than half their lives, every year be it junior olympics, usatf youth, middle school, high school, college etc. every year with most likely at least 1 member of the relay being a newcomer. so it is experienced relay members who have had LOTS of success in the past at all levels individually and in the relays.
    i do think the amount of bad luck our relays have had in big meets is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by klass klown
    What was clear is Lee was injured because she was twisting around trying to grab the baton. Clean exchange = no injury.
    Exactly. And now a runner is hurt because they weren't adequately prepared. We can point finger in all directions, but it is ultimately USATF's RESPONSIBILITY. It is not 'bad luck' when it happens so regularly. Even if it IS bad luck, an improved relay program is absolutely necessary. Mr. Logan, the ball is in your court.

Leave a comment:

• malephenom
    replied
    Hmmm when will Muna get a break has any such talented athlete over the past two years had such a bad spell of near misses and misfortune.

Leave a comment:

• Omega4ul
    replied
    This is some BS!!
    USATF needs to do better!
    How about they send the #1 NCAA Team (Texas A&M went 42 this year) or a group of girls that have been practicing together all year (instead of all week!)

Leave a comment:

• JWiz
    replied
    Originally posted by TrainerPhil

Exactly. Muna closed her hand a couple of times trying to get the stick but couldn't find it. By the time she got it, her body was in such an awkward position that when she tried accelerating her hammy gave......

USATF need to do something drastic now. Maybe demanding those who want on the team committ to months of training prior to big meets.
    I didn't see all that. I need to look at a better replay. But still, mi like Muna.

Leave a comment:

• Bootney Lee Farnsworth
    replied
    Total and utter incompetence describes this.

The problem isn't the coaches because they change.

The athletes maybe just don't want to do it. Don't want to take an hour to learn how to watch for marks, take off, put their hand back, take the baton and run.

I am disgusted with all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    SMH going into the WC's both Men's & Women's Relays were suppose to be the perfect ending with the 2 Countries going at it.

I'm still shocked..

Leave a comment:

• DCSIGMA
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    The US needs to focus, if Anderson wasnt going to run int he final why run her in prelims???

The idea of substituting people when the objective to to have some type of continuity is DUMB. Professional level is the ONLY place this occurs, amazing a volunteer pee-wee coach is more in tune with relay running than our paid professional coaches.

Our relay coaches are idiots. PERIOD.
    You know as harsh as that may sound..u are absolutely correct....this doesn't make any sense....I pray Muna is OK and comes back hungrier next year...maybe it would've been a good idea to put solomon on that 3rd leg muna did look a lil banged up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X