Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Champs for the Old Timers

How many athletes FINALLY did themselves true justice? It seemed to be one after another.

Kemboi 4 silvers finally the gold.

Idowu, 6th way back in Sydney, finally the Gold

Foster Hylton, just missed Gold in 2003 - wanted to retire after Beijing - Gold

Rybakov - Hallelujah Gold at LAST

Nerius - :shock: :shock: Has been around since the dawn of the sport -FINALLY the Gold.

Mulaudzi - 6th way back in Edmonton, finally the Gold (AND ran it the same way as Bungei who finally got gold himself......weird).

Dominguez - can't believe she's a world champion 8 years after being robbed by Yegorova.

Nadine Kleinert with a PB and a great silver, 10 years after her silver in Seville.

Debbie Ferguson/Chandra Sturrup/Christine Amertil - Back on the podium (Amertil's first time) after more than a decade at the top of the sport! 10 years after their first world title in Seville.

Made things pretty special for me.

agreed me and flump kept saying the same thing

great minds and all that
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Excellent post, 3a. Gives us something more to appreciate about the Berlin WC. T'anx!

Comment

The most obvious one is Sanya Richards, finally getting the monkey off her back.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          The most obvious one is Sanya Richards, finally getting the monkey off her back.
          True, although it's weird to think of a 24-year-old as an 'old-timer'. The average age of the athletes mentioned by 3a is 32!

Comment

true enough, but when you've been the (arguable) favorite for two WCs and an OG already and don't have the gold, the age thing becomes slightly skewed.

Comment

I was hoping Old Lady Grasu could join them, but was really pleased dani won anyway.

Comment

Imagine that Allyson Felix will still be just 26 in London!

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                  I was hoping Old Lady Grasu could join them, but was really pleased dani won anyway.
                  Me too but at least she did better than the other golden oldies in that event (Yatchenko, Zvereva and Dietzsch).

Grasu still has a remarkable record though;

1993 WCh - 7th
                  1994 ECh - 4th
                  1996 OG - 7th
                  1997 WCh - 10th
                  1998 ECh - 3rd
                  1999 WCh - 3rd
                  2001 WCh - 2nd
                  2004 OG - 6th
                  2005 WCh - 5th
                  2006 ECh - 2nd
                  2007 WCh - 3rd
                  2008 OG - 12th
                  2009 WCh 3rd

She was also just one place away from making the Olympic final back in 1992.
                  http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I suppose Dwight Phillips can also be classed as an old-timer now, having placed eighth at the Olympics all the way back in 2000.
                    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Working...
                    X