Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Since about 1 (maybe 2) meets per year year offer "high-level" competition, just how would you suggest the U.S. get it?
    Since they don't maybe they need to consider that the timing of each handoff will be somewhat unpredictable and leave more margin for error. They are trying to get the most efficient handoff but maybe what they need is the most reliable handoff.

Comment

When was the last time you saw a pass too early at the international level?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Since about 1 (maybe 2) meets per year year offer "high-level" competition, just how would you suggest the U.S. get it? Funny how the other nations manage without.
        You organize them yourself. Other nations pay more attention to realys (except maybe Jamaica) than we do.

Originally posted by gh
        If there's a villain here, it's the wealth of sprint talent. Most nations are lucky to find four world-class sprinters, so they can put them in a year-round camp and do nothing but (knowing that they'll not be making many/any individual sprint finals).
        So knowing that, we have to take EXTRA measures, not fewer.

Originally posted by gh
        The fact that Jamaica is doing "better" is totally relative. They have a better core of top-enders right now (and that, I assure you, is a transient thing, because small-pop nations can't keep that stuff up; just ask Canada) and they've not been quite as snake-bit (see the Ja women in Beijing).
        I don't care WHO the oppoent is. I just want US to run fast times, which requires finishing the race.

Originally posted by gh
        Most years (not w/ Bolt/Powell around) the U.S. could "guarantee" a gold medal (either sex) by putting together a firm national team 6 months ahead of time and ignoring the Trials results. But then you end up with Nike (or to a lesser extent, adidas's) Nike's new star ripping it up in the Trials and not being on the team.
        There is time after the Trials to do this right.

Originally posted by gh
        Tough Damocletian sword.
        Always true.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          I thought the relays were an embarrassment.
          Hyperbole alert . . .

Comment

And while we're on the subject of poor US relay coaching - who handled the 4x400 instructions?

"We can't all be runners because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Comment

Klass Klown, I doubt a better handoff would have effected the results one way or another, besides that handoff is not that bad. Demus is lefthanded, thats the problem (and its not even a problem).

Comment

Originally posted by klass klown
                And while we're on the subject of poor US relay coaching - who handled the 4x400 instructions?
                The idea with exchanging left to left is to keep the baton on inside and away from any potential mishaps if the exchange is being made next to other competitors. Not that I endorse this method, but at least that is the rationale. It worked in both the men's and women's, so I'm fine with it.

Comment

They run the fastest time in the world in 16 years, without any hint of any drop difficulties, and you want to critique the methodology? (You know, the Mona Lisa prob. would have looked a bit better with a touch more shadow under the left eye :-) )

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    They run the fastest time in the world in 16 years, without any hint of any drop difficulties, and you want to critique the methodology?

There you have it folks. This is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we have with the 4x100.

My understanding is two of the men did it too(I'm too lazy to go looking for pics), and the problem is it causes the incoming runner to have to reach across the body to make the handoff, and could potentially cause the incoming athlete to drift out from their line. Not a problem yesterday with both teams way in front, but technically flawed.

But hey, who the hell cares about technique. We won and that's all that matters.
                    "We can't all be runners because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      They run the fastest time in the world in 16 years, without any hint of any drop difficulties, and you want to critique the methodology?

There you have it folks. This is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we have with the 4x100.
                      Ach du scheiße! My cover as the architect of U.S. relay policy has been blown!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Originally posted by gh
                        There you have it folks. This is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we have with the 4x100. ...
                        Ach du scheiße! My cover as the architect of U.S. relay policy has been blown!
                        "kind of' thinking, not 'the' thinking. It's the principle of the thing.
                        But . . . I would argue, given the proclivities of USA relaying, the ONLY hand-off for USA 4x4ers is the SAFEST handoff, and that is indeed the right-to-right, stick-up-high, outgoing-guy's-eyes-on-the-stick, incoming-guy-takes-it-out-of-his-hands pass. Not technically sound, but most effective.

Comment

"relaying" applies only to the 4x1.... for the U.S., handing over the stick in the 4x4 is "would you please pass the salt."

Comment

The point is: without drawing relative reference to any other country as guru as pointed out; Mr. Logan is far insulated from the team's performance. The US men and women had under their belts at least three meets with the same team* where they confidently and successfully got the baton around. These dress rehersals I presume were deliberatly organised by the USATF (Doug) to bolster the teamin Berlin as per Beijing.

No administration can be blamed for lack of execution on race-day when the athletes fail to follow the rules of the game.

Let's say that there were no protests then we as fans, moreso the coach should have been down the team's throats for the horrible error by the men (or us more on the coach).
                            As it regards Muna; I'm sorry for the injury but she just made an error that cost the team and her, the rest of the season. Just goes to show that Top-enders might not always be the best solution for relays so a wealth of them could be immaterial.

Comment

How about we run 4x100 relays with athletes NOT running any other individual races? Four 10.1 guys who were really good with the stick would not only give us a better chance of winning; they would have a better chance of breaking he WR than most of the teams we have put out there in the past.

The US relay team could become another marketing opportunity for sponsors/television/USATF. They compete all year long as a consistent unit - travel together, train together at times, make appearances together. The non-open race sprinters would be much more focused and motivated to get the stick around. WE COULD TAKE PRIDE IN HOW WELL WE PASSED THE BATON. Athletes could move from the relay team to the open events as they improve. The 4x100 would become the minor league of sprinting for developing elite 100m/200m athletes. They will have already been to championship level meets before they make the open 100m/200m teams. We could use this system to improve our success in the open races as well.

Okay, there is the "fix". Where do I collect my salary for "Director of High Performance"?

Barto

tongue firmly in cheek

Comment

Originally posted by Barto
                                How about we run 4x100 relays with athletes NOT running any other individual races? Four 10.1 guys.
                                Okay, there is the "fix". Where do I collect my salary for "Director of High Performance"?
                                tongue firmly in cheek
                                You'd BETTER have that tongue embadded, cuz Joe Q. Public ain't gonna understand not having his USATF champ NOT (TRIPLE negative bonus points!) running anchor. Let them get beat by ANYone and heads will roll!! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                                X