Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gm
    replied
    Ask Suziann Reid about switching hands on 4x4 handoffs...

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Marlow's wired for something:
    I always thought that was a rather flattering picture of me. I look so . . . focused!

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    I agree that the picture of Demus handing off is not the best way. Carry the baton in the right hand- the outgoing runner should take the baton in the left hand and switch to the right early on in the leg unless you are anchor and then it does not matter since there will not be another pass to make. Catch left switch and pass right.

Just as posted above, passing with the left hand makes the incoming runner have to pass across their body and they can be dangerously close to running in to each other.

Leave a comment:

• mal
    replied
    Originally posted by asindc
    Originally posted by klass klown
    And while we're on the subject of poor US relay coaching - who handled the 4x400 instructions?
    The idea with exchanging left to left is to keep the baton on inside and away from any potential mishaps if the exchange is being made next to other competitors. Not that I endorse this method, but at least that is the rationale. It worked in both the men's and women's, so I'm fine with it.
    Come on.

Klass Klown is correct.

You don't protect the baton handing off that way, you run up the back of the exiting athlete - and she isn't looking it in. It's the runner leaving who needs pay real attention with the hand off.

Those changes a shitty. Who ever is coaching them has too much time on their hands.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    Then in light of the comments regarding the athletes and where their loyalties lie, we can safely assume that Mr. Logan can be absolved and all blame be placed on the shoulders of the athletes?

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Ned Ryerson
    a. What have relay gold medals done for Leroy Dixon, Rodney Martin, Miles Smith, Darold Williamson or Angela Daigle-Bowen?
    b. Tiger is a billionaire.
    a. lots more than if they didn't have them!
    b. who still wants an Oly gold. So does everyone else. The chances of actually winning a gold are increased astronomically if you're a member of the USA quartet, recent performances notwithstanding!!
    a. Such as... What additional sponsorships have they procured as a result of their relay medals?
    b. Of course there is the sense of personal satisfaction in earning a medal, and it's something that those people should be very proud of. But if I'm a guy whose goal is to make the final of the 100m, and I have a choice between getting $40,000 to run a meet in Europe, or running a relay practice for free, on the hopes that the relay wins the gold and you get $20,000, the choice is easy, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    b. who still wants an Oly gold. So does everyone else. The chances of actually winning a gold are increased astronomically if you're a member of the USA quartet, recent performances notwithstanding!!
    So you think Woods should be the new anchor to ensure his gold? Don't you think he'll be a bit pissed when the baton never arrives?

I missed it, but did Gay pull out of the 200 to rest for the relay? Or his injury playing up? He looked pretty good in the 100 final but I only saw the highlights.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by bhall
    Marlow- Those are some rocking rose colored glasses you're wearing. I notice they have blinders too!
    Marlow's wired for something:

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    Marlow- Those are some rocking rose colored glasses you're wearing. I notice they have blinders too!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    a. What have relay gold medals done for Leroy Dixon, Rodney Martin, Miles Smith, Darold Williamson or Angela Daigle-Bowen?
    a. lots more than if they didn't have them!

Leave a comment:

• Ned Ryerson
    replied
    Why would I want to sacrifice my own ability to make money for the relay? My shoe company doesn't pay a bonus for winning the relay. Why would I want to durn down a race at one meet, which would net me a sizable appearance fee and guarenteed prize money to run a relay practice for free? These professional sprinters are all individual and independent contractors who should have themselves as their number one priorities.
    a. a relay gold helps your image, which does lend itself to more endorsements = more money.
    b. you are a patriot and like the idea of being part of a team that wins a medal for the USA. Why does Tiger Woods want to be in the Olympics? It sure ain't to make more money!!!
    b. Tiger is a billionaire. If I'm a sprinter, I'm trying to maintain an upper-middle class lifestyle, while trying to put enough money away to sustain myself while I find a different career once my sprinting days are over. This isn't amateurism where decisions about sport are based purely upon pride. I distinctly remember Manu Ginobli being criticised when he injured himself while playing for Argentina in last year's Olympics because it could have possibly jeopardised his NBA season. The Spurs are Ginobli's primary underwriters and its to them that owes the majority of his focus, not Team Argentina. Similarly, these sprinters get most of their money from a shoe sponsorship and prize money/appearance fees at a smattering of meets across the world. Sure, the IAAF pays prize money, but it's a fraction of what a medal bonus from a sponsor would be, so in that way, there is a great motivation to win an individual medal. But there are no bonuses for relay medals.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Why does Tiger Woods want to be in the Olympics?
    Maybe the Ryder Cup would be a better example. He might just like the idea of being an Olympic champion, not necessarily the USA, USA part?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Why would I want to sacrifice my own ability to make money for the relay? My shoe company doesn't pay a bonus for winning the relay. Why would I want to durn down a race at one meet, which would net me a sizable appearance fee and guarenteed prize money to run a relay practice for free? These professional sprinters are all individual and independent contractors who should have themselves as their number one priorities.
    a. a relay gold helps your image, which does lend itself to more endorsements = more money.
    b. you are a patriot and like the idea of being part of a team that wins a medal for the USA. Why does Tiger Woods want to be in the Olympics? It sure ain't to make more money!!!

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Now here is a thought: If the athletes don't care about the relays, WHY SHOULD WE ??!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X