• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malmo
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Geb gave up when he saw the stadium clock and realized Komen had a very good chance to break his record. He knew he couldn't win and wasn't going to help Komen.and realized Komen had a very good chance to break his record. He knew he couldn't win and wasn't going to help Komen.
    Which is totally and completely inexplicable for a world-class athlete 100 meters from the finish line.
    Why?
    I can't even believe you need to ask the question.
    Given what kuha, dutra and conor outlined above, the usage of the word inexplicable is incorrect. It is explicable, you and Zat0pek just find it uncomfortable that he did it.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
      Thank you for explicating the answer to my question. : )

Comment

Entertainment value of this thread is diminishing exponentially by each additional post.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          We bought Ritz a beer in the bar; he was so pleased that not long after the race he got a call from Bob Kennedy--another class act--offering congrats for breaking his AR.
          Thanks for sharing this. Says it all. Two class AR holders.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            We bought Ritz a beer in the bar; he was so pleased that not long after the race he got a call from Bob Kennedy--another class act--offering congrats for breaking his AR.
            I'll have whatever he was having!

Comment

Originally posted by dunes runner
              Originally posted by DrJay
              Ritz's is 114th all-time performance. There are only 20 performances, by 10 men, under 12:50.
              Where do you find stats like that?
              A must-have link:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/

Peter Larsson does a great job, updates the lists same day usually.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                That fine Swiss brew, Feldschlössen.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by gh
                  That fine Swiss brew, Feldschlössen.
                  I just ordered a case. If i cant train like a 12:56, i must drink like one.

phsstt!

Comment

Universal Sports Commentary

It has been said a thousand times, but might as well be said again until they get it right. The commentary (Stones, ?) during the Zurich meet (esp. the 5k I watched) was terrible. No other sport is burdened with such inane banter. They can take a perfectly exciting event and make it more boring than I could ever imagine. It's been the same crap for years and years. What is the problem?!!!!

Comment

Seeing the coverage of this race today (good quality vs. a rather poor link I found elsewhere, yesterday) was really cool. Knowing what Ritz would do, it was just incredible tracking him from dead last, all the way (nearly) up through the field in the last couple laps. It was a remarkable run, and the emotion on his face afterwards was pure gold.

If anyone wonders what purpose the post-championship meets serve: here's Exhibit A. Case closed.

By the way, by my count, this was the 75th sub-13 minute race in history.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        Seeing the coverage of this race today (good quality vs. a rather poor link I found elsewhere, yesterday) was really cool. Knowing what Ritz would do, it was just incredible tracking him from dead last, all the way (nearly) up through the field in the last couple laps. It was a remarkable run, and the emotion on his face afterwards was pure gold.

If anyone wonders what purpose the post-championship meets serve: here's Exhibit A. Case closed.

kuha,
                        Agree with you on Ritz's race, and the post-championship comment. However, could I ask you to do a re-count on the # of sub-13:00 races -- mostly to check my work? I count 77. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Universal Sports Commentary

Originally posted by David Andersen
                          What is the problem?!!!!
                          NBC are aiming at the wrong people. Actually, are they aiming at anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                            kuha,
                            Agree with you on Ritz's race, and the post-championship comment. However, could I ask you to do a re-count on the # of sub-13:00 races -- mostly to check my work? I count 77. Thanks!
                            Erg!! You're very likely right! I've been trying to keep track of all the sub-13 minute races, but honestly haven't been quite as persnickety about it in the last couple years as I had before...ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                              Originally posted by kuha
                              kuha,
                              From All-time Athletics, I count 75 outdoor and it doesn't list Friday's race so it would be 76. But it also lists 4 indoor races under 13:00.0 so that makes 80.

Comment

I think the PA announcer mentioned Ritzenhein's name more times than Bekele's during the last kilometer, that is saying something. For a second it seemed like Ritzenhein could even get all the way to the front before Soi soared past him again. Great race to watch for those two reasons, Bekele's attempt at a fast time and the surprise factor with Ritzenheim breaking the American Record.

Comment

Working...
                                X