• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by schmke
    Originally posted by Master Po
    Originally posted by kuha
    By the way, by my count, this was the 75th sub-13 minute race in history.
    kuha,
    Agree with you on Ritz's race, and the post-championship comment. However, could I ask you to do a re-count on the # of sub-13:00 races -- mostly to check my work? I count 77. Thanks!
    From All-time Athletics, I count 75 outdoor and it doesn't list Friday's race so it would be 76. But it also lists 4 indoor races under 13:00.0 so that makes 80.
    I've just done a reasonably careful recount--with the aid of pela's invaluable site--and have come up with 82 in all, indoors and out. My original number was way off...

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    It is great to see Ritz have such a wonderful summer. His Oly performance was very solid (as was Rupp's). This 5k was long in the making for such a talented, resilent and hard working athlete.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that Salazar really is doing a wonderful job with these guys. His understanding of they psychological component required to train and compete at that level, is very likely helping as much as the physical conditioning. These guys trust and have confidence his his techniques and knowledge. Faith in a program is huge.

It would be fantastic if Webb could also benefit from the coaching, training partners, and environment. Next year should be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Originally posted by croflash
    For a second it seemed like Ritzenhein could even get all the way to the front before Soi soared past him again. Great race to watch for those two reasons, Bekele's attempt at a fast time and the surprise factor with Ritzenheim breaking the American Record.

The best thing for me was seeing the look in Rutz's eyes with 500m. to go--he was staring down Bekele from behind!

Seemed like right after he (briefly) passed Kenyan Soi he was mentally going after the Ethiopian next.

That's how you run fast: You have a good coach who conditions you well using whatever techniques--no matter how seemingly superfluous to trolls--to make you as fit as possible combined with a training environment and teammates who encourage you to excel and then, armed with the confidence you have done everything possible to be at your best, you simply go out and RACE! and fast times will come from the COMPETITIVE (not time trial) effort you put forth.

For another example, Begley-Yoder did the same at the USATF meet this year.

Not to be an old fogey here, but that's what athletes used to do before money came into the sport and taught them to "invest" their energies wisely (i.e., conservatively)...simply differing philosophies really: nothing to lose, everything to gain vs. if I try for that, I may lose what I know I can safely acquire.

Of course, nothing is possible without being well-trained and fit. Good job, Coach Al.

Let's hope Ritz's day spreads the fire to all the rest!

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied
    I think the PA announcer mentioned Ritzenhein's name more times than Bekele's during the last kilometer, that is saying something. For a second it seemed like Ritzenhein could even get all the way to the front before Soi soared past him again. Great race to watch for those two reasons, Bekele's attempt at a fast time and the surprise factor with Ritzenheim breaking the American Record.

Leave a comment:

• schmke
    replied
    kuha,
    Agree with you on Ritz's race, and the post-championship comment. However, could I ask you to do a re-count on the # of sub-13:00 races -- mostly to check my work? I count 77. Thanks!
    From All-time Athletics, I count 75 outdoor and it doesn't list Friday's race so it would be 76. But it also lists 4 indoor races under 13:00.0 so that makes 80.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    kuha,
    Erg!! You're very likely right! I've been trying to keep track of all the sub-13 minute races, but honestly haven't been quite as persnickety about it in the last couple years as I had before...ugh...

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Universal Sports Commentary

Originally posted by David Andersen
    What is the problem?!!!!
    NBC are aiming at the wrong people. Actually, are they aiming at anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    Seeing the coverage of this race today (good quality vs. a rather poor link I found elsewhere, yesterday) was really cool. Knowing what Ritz would do, it was just incredible tracking him from dead last, all the way (nearly) up through the field in the last couple laps. It was a remarkable run, and the emotion on his face afterwards was pure gold.

If anyone wonders what purpose the post-championship meets serve: here's Exhibit A. Case closed.

kuha,

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Seeing the coverage of this race today (good quality vs. a rather poor link I found elsewhere, yesterday) was really cool. Knowing what Ritz would do, it was just incredible tracking him from dead last, all the way (nearly) up through the field in the last couple laps. It was a remarkable run, and the emotion on his face afterwards was pure gold.

If anyone wonders what purpose the post-championship meets serve: here's Exhibit A. Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• David Andersen
    replied
    Universal Sports Commentary

It has been said a thousand times, but might as well be said again until they get it right. The commentary (Stones, ?) during the Zurich meet (esp. the 5k I watched) was terrible. No other sport is burdened with such inane banter. They can take a perfectly exciting event and make it more boring than I could ever imagine. It's been the same crap for years and years. What is the problem?!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by DrJay
    Originally posted by gh
    We bought Ritz a beer in the bar; he was so pleased that not long after the race he got a call from Bob Kennedy--another class act--offering congrats for breaking his AR.
    I'll have whatever he was having!
    That fine Swiss brew, Feldschlössen.
    I just ordered a case. If i cant train like a 12:56, i must drink like one.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    We bought Ritz a beer in the bar; he was so pleased that not long after the race he got a call from Bob Kennedy--another class act--offering congrats for breaking his AR.
    That fine Swiss brew, Feldschlössen.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by dunes runner
    Ritz's is 114th all-time performance. There are only 20 performances, by 10 men, under 12:50.
    Where do you find stats like that?
    A must-have link:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/

Peter Larsson does a great job, updates the lists same day usually.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• Gebfan2
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Thanks for sharing this. Says it all. Two class AR holders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X