Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should the season end with the WC?

We chatted about this before, but as much as I love Zürich (and this last was obviously a rather high-caliber edition thereof), I have to admit to finding it a bit flat.

Like Berlin was the Super Bowl, the World Series, whatever, and all that comes after is just a bit of an "exhibition" roadshow.

Is that just me? (Maybe a month living out a of a suitcase was getting to me)

I agree.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego are you agreeing about the suitcase habitation?

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard
        Pego are you agreeing about the suitcase habitation?
        That, too .
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I think Isinbayeva disagrees.

Comment

Leaving us with...football???

Comment

Those who disappoint at the WC often seem to be glad to have a chance to get over it before winter. Those who did great can always wave away any poor later results with "it doesn't matter." On the whole I think the second-chancers deserve the opportunity.

Comment

The ProBowl comes after the Super Bowl every year.

But more importantly, how are you going to end the season with Worlds? If Daegu and Tokyo want to bring over some names at the end of September, they can if they want to. Track is made up of everyone's independent event, unlike a league.

Comment

No, no, no, no, no, no . . . etc.

1. If the WCs ended the season, all the big post-WC meets would have to be before, when people are actively resting, sharpening and peaking. So you wouldn't get the 'volume' of good results we do in a season now.

2. The post-WC meets give us some great what-if scenarios as the athletes
                  a. seek revenge
                  b. try other events
                  c. have one-off opportunities to get big marks

3. We the fans are slowly weaned off the teat of the season. I like the little October Asiatic meets, and their generally lack-luster (but not always!) results tell me it's time to pack it in.

Comment

A modest proposal: gh is completely right. All that matters is championship meets--and not just any old championships, but the biggest and best ones. No other meets should be held anywhere, ever. We can save up all our anticipation for: 1 meet in 2011 (I can't wait!!), 1 in 2012, 1 in 2013, 1 in 2015, and 1 more in 2016. By that time, the sport will be #1 in the world again, with more fans than it will know what to do with. Success!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                      A modest proposal!
                      Ha! I know what your real name is now, JS!!!

Comment

My post-WC/OG depression would be even worse if there were no meets after the big one.

Plus, a lot of athletes are still riding good health/conditioning and put down some great performances.

Comment

It appears as if most here dislike the idea. Can't see why, personally. Just look back at previous years and their post-WC meets - Zürich, Brussels, Rieti, etc. - can anyone recall anything interesting ever happening at one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                            It appears as if most here dislike the idea. Can't see why, personally. Just look back at previous years and their post-WC meets - Zürich, Brussels, Rieti, etc. - can anyone recall anything interesting ever happening at one of those?
                            Quite right. Big fat zero in all those meets, for all those years. Might as well rip the tracks up and put in vegetable gardens...get SOME productive use out of that real estate...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                              Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                              Quite right. Big fat zero in all those meets, for all those years. Might as well rip the tracks up and put in vegetable gardens...get SOME productive use out of that real estate...
                              I'm starting to feel rather stupid for giving a straight answer!! ops:

Comment

Working...
                              X