X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay targets 9.5

Interesting article linked on home-page

"But I know I can run a lot faster - I've been saying that since day one. I really believe 9.5 seconds is possible. I know it sounds strange for a guy who's best is 9.7 to say that but I honestly believe it - it's been one of my goals since I started running."
    So, can he? I can certainly see a 9.65 in his future, but breaking Bolt's WR (assuming Bolt hasn't lowered it further)? That's a 'fer piece'.

My take on the matter is that now that Bolt has nuked the record, other sprinters must set their sights considerably higher (well, actually . . . lower). The 9.80 dam is broken and now so is the 9.70 and 9.60 (I'm still a little boggled by that). Others will follow. Not right away, but sooner than we would have imagined 3 years ago.

Tyson has an unreal turnover and if he can get his legs a little stronger (hit that weight room!), he'll have a farther pushoff, i.e., stride length, and that will get him faster.

As usual, I'm skeptical, but I'll keep an open mind, wish him well, and keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy.

If he wants to beat Bolt why would he shoot for 9.5?

I mean Bolt is 4-5 years younger and already there.

Maybe he should readjust his goal.

Say...9.4 or better.

I know I'm being technical... but hey.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I'm sceptical of his ability. Not necessarily his speed, but the ability of his body to cope with the demands 9.5 would place on his body. The windy 9.68 last year has caused several injury problems for him that have lasted the best part of two years now.

Just look at Bolt. The relay showed just how much 9.58 and 19.19 can take out of an athlete.

I'm sure Tyson's got the turnover and could develop the strength, but whether his body could stand it I don't know.

Comment

Re: Gay targets 9.5

Originally posted by Marlow
        Tyson has an unreal turnover and if he can get his legs a little stronger (hit that weight room!), he'll have a farther pushoff, i.e., stride length, and that will get him faster.

As usual, I'm skeptical, but I'll keep an open mind, wish him well, and keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy.
        as you say : 0.02 - 0.03s faster over 60m will give double that over 100m :

100m = (2*60m) - 3

& it's likely to be nearer treble as his 60m is underwhelming compared to last 40

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
          I'm sceptical of his ability. Not necessarily his speed, but the ability of his body to cope with the demands 9.5 would place on his body. The windy 9.68 last year has caused several injury problems for him that have lasted the best part of two years now
          this is a fallacy

he ran 9.80++ basic which he ran before & after

wind propels you thru the air, not asking your body for extra energy - it provides the energy to push you to 9.6 ( the only possibility for injury is thru wind acting more above/below c o m than thru it whilst foot is grounded, meaning a progressive degree of under/over rotation - this looks trivial )

oba ran 9.69w & ran plenty fast before as after...

Comment

I admire Tyson as he got the heart of a lion and is focus on being the guy to beat Bolt but I doubt he can go sub 9.6 with a legal tailwind. If he pulls it off I will be shock :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Allen
              I admire Tyson as he got the heart of a lion and is focus on being the guy to beat Bolt but I doubt he can go sub 9.6 with a legal tailwind. If he pulls it off I will be shock :shock:
              Well, at least he has the belief, but thinking it and doing it are two different animals. Just a matter of time before he'll destroy himself trying to do what he wasn't blessed with or capable of.

One Love!!.
              One Love!!!

Comment

Re: Gay targets 9.5

Originally posted by Marlow
                Interesting article linked on home-page

"But I know I can run a lot faster - I've been saying that since day one. I really believe 9.5 seconds is possible. I know it sounds strange for a guy who's best is 9.7 to say that but I honestly believe it - it's been one of my goals since I started running."
                So, can he? I can certainly see a 9.65 in his future, but breaking Bolt's WR (assuming Bolt hasn't lowered it further)? That's a 'fer piece'.

My take on the matter is that now that Bolt has nuked the record, other sprinters must set their sights considerably higher (well, actually . . . lower). The 9.80 dam is broken and now so is the 9.70 and 9.60 (I'm still a little boggled by that). Others will follow. Not right away, but sooner than we would have imagined 3 years ago.

How much stronger can his legs get, is there a limit?
                He seems to be more ripped than either Bolt or Powell. He has to try and get stronger without putting on too much bulk on his legs.
                Some "chemical assistance" could do a world of wonders for him right now, in terms of getting stronger. :lol:

Comment

Barry Allen wrote:
                  I admire Tyson as he got the heart of a lion and is focus on being the guy to beat Bolt but I doubt he can go sub 9.6 with a legal tailwind. If he pulls it off I will be shock

Well, at least he has the belief, but thinking it and doing it are two different animals. Just a matter of time before he'll destroy himself trying to do what he wasn't blessed with or capable of.

One Love!!.
                  Are you suggesting that if Tyson does run 9.5 that maybe his last race? :lol: :shock:

Comment

He might end up across the line in more than one piece, maybe he runs 9.69 and his leg tears off and flies ahead of him crossing the line at 9.60.

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: @Tyson Gay

I honestly don't see tyson or asafa going more than 9.68,much less to go 9.5.

:lol: People we are now seen what bolt is doing to his competitors minds. :lol:

Comment

Asafa has to improve his last 30m (top end speed) to hit 9.5. Until then 9.5 is just a fantasy for him and Tyson......

Comment

“I can beat Usain”, says Powell

"He’s way ahead of the crowd right now but we’re really playing catch-up. We’ll get there somehow. Usain is taking the sport to a whole different level and we are going up there to join him."
                          Asafa is pretty confident of getting on bolts level to

http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=2962&cpage=2#comment-1787

Comment

He was forcast to run 9.65 in 2007, this is on the MVP track club site. So i guess he really can do it. His 9.72 was not balls to the wall and the wind was just 0.3
                            Powell can do 9.65 if he is in the right race by himself and a bunch of 9.9 guys.

Comment

I hope Gay doesn't do whatever it takes to get to that new level....

Comment

Working...
                              X