Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stick a fork in Mo Green...

I like Mo when he runs, not when he trash talks. Hope he is okay.

Comment

>>....curiously they
      >almost always show up when he's losing, or performing
      >badly.....

>And then they heal within a matter of days!

These are both spurious cheap shots, and not true. Greene's injury problems really began to really reach a head in the 2001 World Championship final, where he began limping five meters from the finish, WHEN HE WAS AHEAD. (And of course, he won the race.) I've seen athletes fake injuries -- he ain't doing it.
      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Is Mo done ??? Well if he is, then so are Tim Montgomery, Ato Boldon, Frankie Fredericks, JJ Johnson, and Shawn Crawford !!! Why ??? Cause of all these sub-10 sprinters, Mo was the ONLY one to run sub-10 last year !!! So if he is done, then they have to be done too !!

Wait a minute .. Crawford is the wonder boy of the moment - well the weekend … And Ato is gonna focus on the deuce -bout time they all shout … And Frankie, well he is Frankie, we never want him to be done .. JJ, well he is just up and down anyway … And there is the key to the whole Mo issue ..

The problem for Mo is that we expect SOOOOO much … I mean Mo won everything from 97 to 01 … Ran more sub 10's, more sub 9.95s, more sub 9.90s, more sub 9.85's than ANYONE in the history of the sport !!! And if he can't keep up the pace any more, then he's just through !!!!!

At least that seems to be the mind set of the internet world … Let's get a little more realistic … Mo had the 2nd fastest time outdoors last year @ 9.94 a time Gatlin, Capel, Crawford, Brown, Aliu, Emodolu, MLF, and a whole host of others have NEVER run - not once !!! So Mo still has speed in his body … And he was again ranked in the top 10 in the WORLD ...

But staying in the real world, Mo's last race of the year ended in injury … Injury kept him out the WR race with Tim and Dwain in 02 … And even though he won the race, his final race of 01 - World champion again in 9.82 - ended in injury … So Mo does have that going against him … It is clear his body can not handle the stresses that he has put on it in the past …

So we have Mo still able to go sub 10 (as of last season) but vulnerable to break down … Sounds like a few other previous notables in the sport … The most recent being one MJ !!! So, what did MJ (and others before him) do when he reached that stage of his career - he raced much less frequently AND pulled out when in doubt !!! For example, in 1998 MJ was scheduled to run the 200 at Nationals against this same Mo Greene … Yet in mid week of the meet he pulled out - citing muscle tenderness during practice that week !!! Now … How many of you castigated MJ for that move ??? Or for not running the relay in Atlanta ??? Or for not running the 200 at the 97 Nationals, or the 99 Nationals … Or for begging for the first pass through to a World Championships in 97 cause he was not ready to run at Nationals at all - yes he begged for it and was granted the first pass of a previous champion into the World Championships !!!

NO .. Ya'll said he was smart, crafty, intelligent … No need to run if it didn't mean anything or he didn't have to … Save it for when it matters … And those of you that were around said the same about Carl Lewis on numerous similar occasions …

So fast forward to this past weekend and we have Mo showing up for his first competition following his semi final in Paris last year … And runs 6.61 … Now ya'll seem to have forgotten that coming into this meet only ONE American had run faster than that !!!! Crawford ran SLOWER in his debut … Capel ran SLOWER in his debut !!! Just thought I would remind ya'll of that … Guess they should've hung it up long before this meet !!! Anyway, Mo feels a little tightness or twinge in his first race … Let me remind you again, that a much younger Darrell Brown said the same after HIS FIRST race this season and has decided to hold off on a trip to Worlds to focus on outdoors cause THAT is more important !!!!!

My point to all this is that ya'll hold Mo to a standard that NO ONE ELSE is held to !!! True he's brought this shit on himself by being so damned good for so damned long … BUT … It really isn't fair … He keeps running as fast and faster than most everyone else out there and all anyone has to say is Mo Is Through !!!

Now, does he have some shit to prove ??? Absolutely … Mo's got to go to the big one's (Trials & Games) and perform well … And his season should be geared to that end - showing up in Sacramento and making the team, and then showing up in Athens and being in the money … And that means he should compete less, and occasionally pull out of some competitions - if shit don't feel right .. He's won every meet there is to win in his career, so at this point only the BIG ones matter … That means fans may have a lot of disappointment this season when it comes to Mo .. But just as folks have a different set of expectations for Mo, success and failure should be measured differently …

Just one man's opinion …

Comment

There is a difference between Mo and MJ. MJ won nearly every race he entered until the very end of his career.

Mo barely won a single race last year, despite his 9.94.

Comment

However, Conway's basic point is quite legitimate. Greene's been so good for so long that "we" expect great things every time he steps on the track. That's unrealistic, and he's also become much more susceptible to injury. With some luck, however, he could very well make the US team, and go on to medal in Athens. I, for one, hope he does.

Comment

I agree with Conor also. I've always been a fan of Mo's, I've seen him at many meets, big and small, and he seems like a very personable guy. That 9.94 last year is what really confuses me. He obviously still has speed in his legs but with these on-going injuries who knows how his training is going. When I'm around UCLA I often stop and watch the HSI guys working out. May have an opportunity this Friday. Will report back if I do.

Comment

Maybe I'm naive, but I still believe Mo will win gold in Athens and approach, if not surpass, Monty's WR.

I might be mistken, but didn't Maurice run the second fastest time in the world last year at 9.94 seconds? And that was at 10-15 pounds overweight?

I also might be mistaken, but didn't Maurice run the fastest time in the world in 2002 in 9.89?

The man has the speed in him. To say otherwise is foolish. If, and this is a BIG if, he stays healthy, he will perform in Athens similarly to how he performed in Sydney.

In any case, it should be interesting.

M

Comment

I hope so. He's been an incredibly impressive athlete. He's got to be one of the shortest world class sprinters around (he's got to be no taller than 5'9"), and he absolutely dominated from 1997 to 2001, consistently breaking 10.00 and oftentimes sub 9.95. He made sub10 seem casual. He has more than twice the number of sub10s as Carl Lewis.

Hopefully he still has the drive to compete and win -- and the health.

Comment

Mo will be back when HSI come up with something new. He should talk to gail and i aint talking about david.

Comment

Whatever is going to happen to Mo GREENE, through
                      this so important Olympic year, one single word
                      comes to my mind: RESPECT...

Comment

I am a big fan of Mo, he ran fast times, won wc and oly gold medals and was the man during 5 or 6 years. Even if he is not the same we should give him the respect that he deserves and expect the best of him during the trials. He has a lot of pride and will be fighting to be in Athens.
                        I would like to see him getting the gold in Athens, but it is going to be tough.

Comment

bump

Comment

that's such an MJD thing to do :-)

Comment

This thread is pretty humorous in the current context. While I think that Shawn Crawford MAY have shown himself as the man to beat in Athens, there isn't much doubt now that MG is entirely capable of winning the gold, and even possibly tossing down a WR in the process.

There's a thing about winners. The bigger the stage the more often they win. The OG's are something the Greene lives for, and he will perform quite well there, I'm almost certain.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the average qualifying time of the six guys we have on our 4x100 relay team is 9.94? And that for the four that will likely run the final in that race, it is 9.92? Not too shabby...

Comment

This is true. 97, 99, and 01 WC and in 00 OMo ran the list leader for the year or the second leading time for the year (ususally second to his own time). That is impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X